Crazy Cat

IRS Stimulus Check Portal is now Active

177 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Versatile. said:

Hi, I came to the US on a K1 in October and got married to my spouse in November. My spouse filed the 2019 tax as Married filing single in February and has gotten the check. I got my SSN and EAD few days ago how do I claim my own part of the stimulus check. 

On the 2020 return. 
Little note—she filed Married Filing Separately.  Single means unmarried in IRS filing terms. 

9 minutes ago, Versatile. said:

I got that wrong she actually filed single

Step 1: She files a 1040X to fix that filing. She should consider filing jointly as well...it probably will have a lower tax liability.

Step 2: You'll get your portion of the credit (stimulus) when you file 2020 taxes.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 5/2/2020 at 11:38 AM, Camboturk said:

I am a US citizen. My wife has a conditional green card that was set to expire in March 2020 so we filed the I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence in January 2020 and also received the I-797 notice that her conditional resident status had been extended for 18 months. She has been working for years and has an SSN (no ITIN). We filed our taxes (married filing jointly) in 2018 and 2019 using Credit Karma and received refunds both years via direct deposit (we didn't owe). This year, I filed on February 1st and got the refund on February 12, so the IRS SHOULD have my banking info. Note that if the timeline is important, this was AFTER we filed the I-751 and received the I-797 of extension.

With all that background information, the IRS stimulus check status page still says "Payment Status Not Available". I am very worried that we won't get the $2400 stimulus check. I have read that people who used Credit Karma are having issues and I think that my wife's green card status could also be a factor as well. Does anyone have any idea what we can do? Is it possible that the status page will still say "payment status not available" and a paper check will be mailed to us anyway?

I just read this link which seems to imply that people with pending green card applications may need to wait for their applications to be resolved first: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-havent-i-gotten-my-stimulus-check-yet-6-possible-reasons-your-payment-hasnt-arrived-2020-04-27 Assuming my wife's green card application is eventually approved in the future, will there be a way to retroactively claim or apply for our stimulus check?

Update to my previous post since the IRS phone line for stimulus payment questions/issues is now open: 1-800-919-9835.

I just called them since I'm still getting "payment status not available" and the person I spoke to said that there was an issue with my wife's SSN being 'invalid' that was causing us to be ineligible for a stimulus payment. I confirmed the SSN over the phone and it matched what the IRS had in their system. Basically, I have no idea what this means since my wife has had the same SSN since 2011, got a new job in February so she passed a background check etc. We will call the SSA office and see if they have any more information. Ugh...

Timeline

Just to clarify the timeline (couldn't edit my post above):

January 24, 2020: filed I-751 (Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence)

February 1, 2020: filed tax return (married filing jointly)

February 12, 2020: received tax refund via direct deposit

February 2020 (don't remember exact date): received I-797C notice that my wife's conditional resident status had been extended for 18 months

Nothing here should have affected my wife's SSN so we are really confused why the IRS says there's an issue.

Timeline

Just called the IRS hotline again a few hours ago and I now have more information from a more helpful agent. They said that my wife's SSN didn't come up as invalid or anything but they don't know why it's saying we are ineligible for a stimulus payment. I explained how we filed taxes on 2/1, my wife updated her status from F-1 to green card holder to the SSA on 2/12 and we also received the tax refund on the same day. My theory is that when the IRS was processing our tax refund, they saw that my wife was on an F-1 visa. When they started determining eligibility for the stimulus checks in March/April, they used the information from the tax return instead of checking the most up-to-date information and determined we weren't eligible since most people on F-1 aren't eligible. The agent agreed that this was possible but there's no way to verify it. I asked if there's anything I can do get a stimulus payment and unfortunately she said no, there's no way in the system to do that so we would just have to wait until we file our 2020 taxes and claim it as a credit. I'm bummed out this is the case but at least I have more info and I won't have to check the IRS status page every day anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

K1 entry, received SSN in August 2019, and filed taxes April 15..was waiting for my conditional resident stimulus, it said payment info unavailable for a long time! But today:

Payment Status

We scheduled your payment to be deposited on June 10, 2020 to the bank account below.

I hope you all get yours quickly now that all the offices are open! 🎉

Edited by JEREMA4eva

• 7 months later...
Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sorry to re awaken an old post with a question - I used the portal and got the " Payment Status not available "

I just got my SS number and I am permeant resident as of Oct12 2020 which Is when I moved to the US.

I have not filed any taxes so I suspect they don't even know I exist however I believe I am eligible to receive this payment as I am an IR1 resident. 

What should I do in order to get the ball rolling? is it as simple as filing a tax return even though I have not worked or made any money yet?

If anyone could help me or point me in the direction of some help on this topic, I would be very grateful. I wish there was IRS 101 for new residents. 

Kind regards, Matt 

Timeline
42 minutes ago, MattyUKtoUS said:

Sorry to re awaken an old post with a question - I used the portal and got the " Payment Status not available "

I just got my SS number and I am permeant resident as of Oct12 2020 which Is when I moved to the US.

I have not filed any taxes so I suspect they don't even know I exist however I believe I am eligible to receive this payment as I am an IR1 resident. 

What should I do in order to get the ball rolling? is it as simple as filing a tax return even though I have not worked or made any money yet?

If anyone could help me or point me in the direction of some help on this topic, I would be very grateful. I wish there was IRS 101 for new residents. 

Kind regards, Matt 

Both payments approved in Tax year 2020 are on the tax forms you will file soon ($1200 & $600 per per taxpayer).  A joint return will most likely serve you best. You can claim your share of the rebates on the tax return as a credit. Your spouse may have gotten early payouts  based on his 2018 or 2019 return so he won’t get them again on the return, but you will (providing you otherwise qualify on 2020 joint income below the cut off for a couple).

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Both payments approved in Tax year 2020 are on the tax forms you will file soon ($1200 & $600 per per taxpayer).  A joint return will most likely serve you best. You can claim your share of the rebates on the tax return as a credit. Your spouse may have gotten early payouts  based on his 2018 or 2019 return so he won’t get them again on the return, but you will (providing you otherwise qualify on 2020 joint income below the cut off for a couple).

Thanks for the info! Well my husband wants to file separately and he did already receive his payments.

So I'll be filling separately. So I guess if I don't earn anything I will miss out on the credit unless I file for 0 income and then they credit me moving forward or send me a refund. I am rapidly trying to get my head around it all hahah.

All the best, Matt

Timeline
3 hours ago, MattyUKtoUS said:

Thanks for the info! Well my husband wants to file separately and he did already receive his payments.

That’s a mistake. Your lack of income will reduce his taxable Income by another $12,400, thus lowering his taxes. Filing separate is a $12,400 standard deduction off his income before tax is applied. Filing joint is $24,800 standard deduction. He is wasting that extra deduction for you because you have no income to reduce so it would all come off his income. 

Already getting his payments early is no reason to file separately either. Go to the tax forum on here. This really isn’t a Covid topic anymore.

• 5 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 4/15/2020 at 4:52 AM, Lucky Cat said:

The IRS portal Stimulus Payment Portal is now active.  You can use this link to check eligibility and to submit your bank account information if the IRS does not currently have it (I usually owe every year, so they did not have my info).  You will need your SSN, Address,  information from your tax return, and your bank routing number & account number.  I just used it to tell them where to deposit my payment.

"Filers:  Get Your Payment" is the section I used.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

Good thing I checked here, thank you very much! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.