Sarismercadouribe

Can I go visit my husband?

31 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, my husband and I applied for the CR-1 visa on Jan 30th. He lives in Canada and I live in the US ( I am sponsoring him) with everything going on right now, I am pretty upset that things are going to take so much longer.. which sucks for every person that is going through this... here are my questions:

1. Can we still visit each other? I know that the Canadian/US border is closed to non-essential travel 

2. What becomes essential? I need to be with my husband during times like these

3. Would it be easier for him to come to the states or for me to go to Canada? (driving of course)

All of your answers are appreciated, I was thinking on going to see him for two weeks and (self quarantine) I just don't want to drive six hours to the border to have to turn around and I can't seem to find any information online that answers this

THANK YOU AGAIN!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well 6 hours driving suggests crossing a few States and it seems that each State has its own rules as to what is allowed, so probably best to start there. No idea about the Canadian side.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Order in Council 2020-0185: Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Prohibition of Entry into Canada from the United States).

Prohibition — optional or discretionary purpose

3 A foreign national is prohibited from entering Canada from the United States if they seek to enter for an optional or discretionary purpose, such as tourism, recreation or entertainment.

I came across this, so this seems your main issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

OP, you can’t try get hold of Border Crossing immigration office. Or just go to Canada and find out. Let us know if the outcome please as there are people in similar dilemmas (different countries though but with closed borders).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm a dual US/Canadian citizen and have family on both sides of the border.  It is closed right now for any non-essential purpose--basically all they are letting through is trade-related goods.  Normal travelers are being refused entry, this is based on experience of my family trying to cross by car.  One was able to get through last week after the border crossed, but he was a Canadian citizen returning home.  You could try and find out for yourself, but personally I wouldn't drive six hours when the chances of being allowed in are very low right now.  Wait until the border re-opens, hopefully in a few weeks.  In the meantime, video calls are your best way to stay connected.  Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband and I (he’s a USC & I am a Canadian citizen) were going to go stay with my parents (Ontario, Canada) and wait this situation out there.  They have a large house, so we’d still have a private place, but we (specifically he) was turned around at the border (no biggie for us because we’re 5 minutes away from the bridge).  Was told I could enter bc I am a citizen but that he could not, so I’d err on the side of caution and not attempt it, especially if you’re 6 hours from the border. 

Canadian borders are closed. You'll be denied entry. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Wow! What whole lot of certainty! No border is completely closed. Most countries has restricted travelling for tourists, and for different other groups of travellers. But no country has shut its borders for every one. 

For the travel restrictions for travellers from China, Iran and the Europe, the US has specifically made exceptions for, among others, close family members, specified as spouses of US citizens and children (under 21) of US citizens. For the travel restriction between the US and Canada i cannot find the exact same exception, instead it's specified to "essential travel" and there are a few examples for what non-essential travel would be (tourism, sight-seeing, gambling and so on). 

However, the US and Canada has adopted the same principles and the this was a joint statement between the US and Canadian governments: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/20/joint-statement-us-canada-joint-initiative-temporary-restriction-travelers-crossing

The Canadian government on the other hand HAS specified exceptions (just like the US did for travellers from China, Iran and Europe), where that specifically says that spouses of Canadian citizens and permanents residents can travel to Canada. Given that you can travel to Canada if you are a spouse of a Canadian citizen and that the US made the same exception for travellers from China, Iran and Europe, it makes a lot of sense that the US will let in Canadians who are married to a US citizen or LPR. More info from Canadian government here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions.html

Needles to say, bring proof of marriage to the border! 

Good luck!

16 minutes ago, Jens79 said:

But no country has shut its borders for every one. 

Not exactly (assuming its own citizens are still permitted): https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020-coronavirus-cases-world-map/

Examples: KSA, Oman, Libya, Qatar, Jordan, Slovakia (except current residents), Namibia, Angola, Gabon, Ivory Coast, etc.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

Not exactly (assuming its own citizens are still permitted): https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020-coronavirus-cases-world-map/

Examples: KSA, Oman, Libya, Qatar, Jordan, Slovakia (except current residents), Namibia, Angola, Gabon, Ivory Coast, etc.

What ever! That’s totally besides the point here. Hope you felt good about being able to point that out, though. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Jens79 said:

Wow! What whole lot of certainty! No border is completely closed. Most countries has restricted travelling for tourists, and for different other groups of travellers. But no country has shut its borders for every one. 

For the travel restrictions for travellers from China, Iran and the Europe, the US has specifically made exceptions for, among others, close family members, specified as spouses of US citizens and children (under 21) of US citizens. For the travel restriction between the US and Canada i cannot find the exact same exception, instead it's specified to "essential travel" and there are a few examples for what non-essential travel would be (tourism, sight-seeing, gambling and so on). 

However, the US and Canada has adopted the same principles and the this was a joint statement between the US and Canadian governments: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/20/joint-statement-us-canada-joint-initiative-temporary-restriction-travelers-crossing

The Canadian government on the other hand HAS specified exceptions (just like the US did for travellers from China, Iran and Europe), where that specifically says that spouses of Canadian citizens and permanents residents can travel to Canada. Given that you can travel to Canada if you are a spouse of a Canadian citizen and that the US made the same exception for travellers from China, Iran and Europe, it makes a lot of sense that the US will let in Canadians who are married to a US citizen or LPR. More info from Canadian government here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions.html

Needles to say, bring proof of marriage to the border! 

Good luck!

My husband and I were in the same car and were told he could not enter.  Staying with my family in Canada (I am a Canadian citizen) was not a reason for him to enter.  

Entry to a country where one is not a citizen is always discretionary.  

I certainly wouldn’t encourage someone to

drive 6 hours to a border where she may be turned away, even with proof of marriage.  

2 minutes ago, Jens79 said:

What ever! That’s totally besides the point here. Hope you felt good about being able to point that out, though. 

Just correcting the record.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions.html#family-members

This article basically states that I am an exception to the law.. I think that @Cryssiekins  maybe your husband wasn't able to enter because he was already with you? so it's not like he has to enter Canada to reunite with his immediate family 

I don't know what to do... LOL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.