stech786

Coronavirus Embassy closed

213 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, sl1pstream said:

What are you basing your guess on?

It takes two or more weeks for a consulate to get back up and running. Plus staff needs to get back to the station and cases received from the NVC

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
Just now, Paul & Mary said:

It takes two or more weeks for a consulate to get back up and running. Plus staff needs to get back to the station and cases received from the NVC

2 Weeks from what date though? The only announcement so far is USCIS reopening and I feel like that date's probably going to move too, considering the current numbers.

Besides, they're trying to limit new immigrants coming in, opening embassies up again wouldn't help with that.

14 minutes ago, sl1pstream said:

The only announcement so far is USCIS reopening

USCIS is stateside and doesn't have any bearing of the Embassies.  

Embassy openings are going to be based on the situation in that country and the ability to re-man.

Consulate openings will lag due to staff being non essential and the need to get the files to the consulates.

18 minutes ago, sl1pstream said:

Besides, they're trying to limit new immigrants coming in, opening embassies up again wouldn't help with that.

CR1/IR1, CR2/IR2,  K1/K2 as are a litany of predominantly worker visas are exempted by the current executive order.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

USCIS is stateside and doesn't have any bearing of the Embassies.  

Well, yes, this thread is about embassies. That's why I pointed out that the June 4th date wasn't relevant.

Embassy openings are going to be based on the situation in that country and the ability to re-man.

The suspension is worldwide, they'll open again worldwide. It's not on a per-country basis, considering that there are countries with low numbers or without lockdowns that also got their local embassies closed.

Consulate openings will lag due to staff being non essential and the need to get the files to the consulates.

The files are at the consulates, mine was sent there on March 31st and got there April 6th. Plenty of others have also had their status changed to "ready" in the middle of all this. Government agencies are considered essential, or they're WFH as much as possible. They didn't get laid off.

CR1/IR1, CR2/IR2,  K1/K2 as are a litany of predominantly worker visas are exempted by the current executive order

Agreed, but there's also still a virus raging throughout the world. If this really is to limit the spread, having them reopen in June seems super early.

Edited by sl1pstream

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, sl1pstream said:

The suspension is worldwide, they'll open again worldwide. It's not on a per-country basis, considering that there are countries with low numbers or without lockdowns that also got their local embassies closed.

This is interesting and something I've been wondering especially as some consulates have rescheduled some interviews for July/August without there being any indication that the suspension will be lifted by then (although I hope it will be). I don't want you to be correct because I can see them keeping visa services suspended for a very long time, but I think you might be. 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

8 hours ago, Jöla said:

Am I correct to assume that this possibility does not extend to Schengen consulates, or other countries that have been banned by the presidential proclamation for that matter?

It was a schengen consulate (Amsterdam). IR1s are not affected by the travel ban. 

8 hours ago, Sumavia said:

What emergency did u say you have ?

My partner wanted to be closer to his parents who are older and more at risk. We told them it's unfair to expect him to choose between them and myself.

Timeline
8 hours ago, DGF said:

This is interesting and something I've been wondering especially as some consulates have rescheduled some interviews for July/August without there being any indication that the suspension will be lifted by then (although I hope it will be). I don't want you to be correct because I can see them keeping visa services suspended for a very long time, but I think you might be. 

Oh, I super don't want to be correct on this, but considering that at this point every country has a ban that's nowhere near getting lifted, I doubt that this one will, even if it was tied to the pandemic.

5 hours ago, sl1pstream said:

Oh, I super don't want to be correct on this, but considering that at this point every country has a ban that's nowhere near getting lifted, I doubt that this one will, even if it was tied to the pandemic.

some countries are started to lift lockdown. No sign of embassy.

Best way to get updates. is goto the ustraveldoc website for correct details.

11 hours ago, Pavli said:

My partner wanted to be closer to his parents who are older and more at risk. We told them it's unfair to expect him to choose between them and myself.

I have similar emergency, but haven't requested it.  Was your approved?

Timeline
17 minutes ago, stech786 said:

some countries are started to lift lockdown. No sign of embassy.

Best way to get updates. is goto the ustraveldoc website for correct details.

There aren't any updates. 😛

On 5/7/2020 at 10:48 PM, sl1pstream said:

I somehow agree on that as deciding that the opening is for June 4th shows the intention to get back on track. 

However it is still based on the country where the embassy is, I don't expect all embassies to open at the same time

Timeline
5 hours ago, WBA said:

I somehow agree on that as deciding that the opening is for June 4th shows the intention to get back on track. 

However it is still based on the country where the embassy is, I don't expect all embassies to open at the same time

The opening is for their offices inside the US, not outside of it. The embassies are working in some countries, I called earlier today, they just can't process routine visa applications.

Even if they do go back to work on a set date, they'd still have to get the WH's okay to start processing visa applications again.

Edited by sl1pstream

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.