OliverBa

Coronavirus in China

110 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

This is what I got from my contact in Guangzhou. My contact does the immigrant visa interviews at the consulate in Guangzhou. Long story short, it seems like watching the travel warnings and levels on the state department website may be the best indicator we have that things are returning to normal. So I would assume when it goes from level 4: do not travel; to a level 3 or 2, we’ll see some movement. And also I was wrong about the backlog, apparently there will be a backlog, but for the immigrant visas that have limits (ie: non-familial immigrant visas). My contact’s response is below:

“Due to the outbreak the Embassy and all Consulates in China are in a state of partial draw down. The Department has stated publicly that all children of American personnel have been sent back to the U.S. This also, by extension, means that spouses have also been sent back. It’s also possible that some non-essential staff have been sent back or at least have the option of returning. 

In situations like these normal Embassy functions are halted and this includes visa services and non-emergency American Citizen Services. The staff are instead focused on crisis management, which must necessarily focus on providing assistance to American citizens in China. You can also say that due to the contagious nature of the disease, the government wants to limit who is entering Embassy or Consulate facilities. 

There is no hard and fast rule for how long the closures will take place. During a crisis there are task forces set up in Washington which monitor events 24/7 and coordinate across the federal government and with foreign governments as leadership tries to grapple with events. I wouldn't expect normal functions to resume in GUZ until the coronavirus situation is deemed to be sufficiently ‘under control’ that the Department is comfortable ‘sending personnel back to China’. I don't think anyone knows how long that will take. 

Once normal functions resume in GUZ, we will need to process the case backlog and I expect a fair amount of retrogression for numerically limited immigrant visa categories. You certainly should periodically check in with GUZ and the NVC, but don't expect them to tell you much. My advice is to watch the news and keep an eye on the travel warnings for China on travel.state.gov. That will help you know when the Department is reassessing the situation and they tend to post updates quickly. In the short term, however, you're going to have to endure the black hole of delay. Good luck and stay strong my friend”

DCF China

07/15/2018: Married

10/22/2018: Filed I-130 @ Guangzhou Embassy

11/06/2018: Received Emailed Notice of Additional Processing Requirements and Interview from the embassy 

11/27/2018: Received Mailed Notice of Additional Processing Requirements and Interview from the embassy 

11/28/2018: Interview at the Embassy

12/15/2018: We were informed by letter from the embassy that based on how we got married, that we were not legally married technically and therefore could not file an I-130, unless we could provide evidence showing that our marriage license would be recognized by the issue authority (the Court).

Jan-July 2019: Attempted unsuccessfully to get married in 5 other countries; my fiancé's tourist visa application was continuously denied which left us with only the K1 option

K1 Visa

08/28/2019: Filed I-129F K1

09/04/2019: NOA1 Received

Timeline
On 2/26/2020 at 1:27 PM, OliverBa said:

I actually don’t think there’s a massive backlog with Guangzhou. There are people there still processing the visa foils and inserting them on passports for picks ups, so when they do open back up, Guangzhou will be starting off with a “clean slate” so to speak. Once the visa services suspension is lifted, notices will be sent to those who visa interviews were cancelled, also any P3’s that we’re not sent out for petitions they already had, would be sent out, and then would receive the K1 petitions from NVC at some point, that is when interviews will be scarce and we’ll all be fighting for them but that also depends on how quickly people respond to their P3’s since they don’t allow you to schedule the interview until they send P4. So I don’t foresee there being a huge backlog. People with cancelled interviews will have their interviews before any K1’s get their P3’s and P4’s. Guangzhou has a nice staggered process, unlike other embassies, the Philippines for example, that allow interview scheduling as soon as, the embassy received the petition from NVC, which would make our situation more chaotic if it was the same here.

I have a contact at the embassy in Guangzhou, waiting for his reply, I’ll let you know of any updates I get. I know this whole thing sucks, but we’ll get through it everybody. The virus won’t last forever, the sun will come out eventually. I think it more or a testament for how much we love our respective counterparts that we continue to persist in and persevere in spite of all the roadblocks and obstacles thrown into our paths. If we can get through this, we can get through anything. True love we have found indeed, so we’ll count ourselves lucky in that regard. We all know it. Time, distance, nothing could separate us. Because we know. It is right, it is real. The couples that are meant to be are the ones who go through everything that is meant to tear them apart, and come out even stronger because of it. Group hug everyone 🤗

In the based case scenario, assuming USCIS approves the petition on Monday, then they need 1 month until NVC creates the case, 2 months until NVC approves the docs, and 1-2 months until the interview. Add X months until USCIS actually approves the case. If NVC asks for a resubmit, add another 2 months. The delay at Guangzhou could be another X months. If she gets put into lengthy administrative processing, that's another X weeks or months. If USCIS totally messes up and losses or misplaces something, add X months/years. 

In the best case scenario they are looking at 4-5 months. Many field offices are now finishing I-485s in 6-8 months, some even quicker. And they could stay together the whole time. In the worst case scenario they could be looking at another 8+ months (apart) until the CR/IR visa is issued.

Timeline

Ok, maybe have some good news. I check the USTravelDocs China site every day for any updates. I noticed tonight that the message saying “visa services has been suspended in Beijing, Guangzhou, Shenyang, shanghai etc until further notice due to limited staff due to the coronavirus” has been removed. It says nothing now about visa services being suspended, so I think this may mean staff are returning to the embassies and case processing will resume. I’ll verify this in the morning when DOS opens up, but things may be on the up and up for us you guys!! Cross your fingers!!!

DCF China

11/06/2018: Received Emailed Notice of Additional Processing Requirements and Interview from the embassy 

11/27/2018: Received Mailed Notice of Additional Processing Requirements and Interview from the embassy 

12/15/2018: We were informed by letter from the embassy that based on how we got married, that we were not legally married technically and therefore could not file an I-130, unless we could provide evidence showing that our marriage license would be recognized by the issue authority (the Court).

Jan-July 2019: Attempted unsuccessfully to get married in 5 other countries; my fiancé's tourist visa application was continuously denied which left us with only the K1 option

K1 Visa

Timeline

Figured I'd give you folks the information I've gotten from the consulate (GUZ) using their contact form since I'm also in limbo. My case was created Jan 10, I've been trying to find out about the P3.

First communication they sent to me on Feb 10:

Dear petitioner,

Thank you for your email.  Please note that your case is currently under pre-interview processing.   In the next few weeks, we will send you a packet with instructions on how to complete the online DS-160 application form and submit the required documents.  Upon receipt of the required documents, we will contact you again with further instructions on how to schedule a visa interview.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit

U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou

I did not get any updates, so I followed up a few days ago, they told me this today:

Dear Petitioner, 

Thank you for your email.  As of February 3, 2020, regular visa services at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing and the U.S. Consulates General in Chengdu, Guangzhou, Shanghai and Shenyang are suspended.  Due to the ongoing situation relating to the novel coronavirus, the U.S. Embassy and Consulates have very limited staffing.   Intending applicants should note that on Sunday, February 2, a Presidential Proclamation was issued that suspended entry for individuals who have been in China less than 14 days prior to their arrival in the U.S.  More information about the Proclamation can be found on our website here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/Presidential-Proclamation-Coronavirus.html.  

Updates on the status of the proclamation will be posted on our website: https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn/. Once the proclamation is lifted, please contact us regarding your case via our webform: https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn/visas/immigrant-visas/contact-us/immigrant-visa-unit-question/.

We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible, but we are unable to provide a specific date at this time.  If during this period you have an urgent need to travel, and you believe you may qualify for an exemption under the proclamation, please submit your request via our webform: https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn/visas/immigrant-visas/contact-us/immigrant-visa-unit-question/.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit

U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou

Not terribly helpful or great news.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, supportdesk said:

Figured I'd give you folks the information I've gotten from the consulate (GUZ) using their contact form since I'm also in limbo. My case was created Jan 10, I've been trying to find out about the P3.

First communication they sent to me on Feb 10:

I did not get any updates, so I followed up a few days ago, they told me this today:

Not terribly helpful or great news.

That just sucks. Once the proclamation is lifted, not when the threat level in China is lowered. So it’s subjective based on the the president’s will. So this leads me to believe that even if the cases of infection in China gets down to less than 500, which i believe it will In the next 3 weeks, cases of the virus in America will increase during that time so since America is still dealing with the virus, the proclamation might not be lifted. This is BS. Proclamations are supposed to be review and extended or suspended every 15 days apparently, so I guess we can only hope. Next review date should be March 18th and then April 2nd. Ugh I’m so upset 

Edited by OliverBa

DCF China

K1 Visa

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

This is really not that surprising.  The proclamation says the first review was to be in the first 15 days of it going into effect and after that to be reviewed on the 1st and 15th of every month thereafter by the Secretary of Health and Human Services.  We can only hope that the Secretary Azar will not overly delay recommending the proclamation be lifted to POTUS.

Another concern is that as the situation here deteriorates, that China may decide to reciprocate a travel ban into their country from the US to avoid a potential second outbreak because the virus mutates here and is reintroduced there.  I would be upset but would understand why.

I just focus on the fact that my fiance is thus far healthy and in good spirits despite the setbacks, and that this is only temporary.

Timeline

Hey guys, first time posting here on this thread. But I am so upset.

I just saw some saying that in US embassy in BEIJING, the interview you can schedule is after November now. I am really sorry if my English cause misunderstanding. If possible please read below link for what I saw (in Chinese):

https://m.weibo.cn/status/IxuWq0y0o?jumpfrom=weibocom

I am in the process of K1 visa and I wonder how it is now for the embassy in Guangzhou. I am so upset and curious, don’t know who I can talk with. That is such a long time. I really hate this virus. Please someone tell me I am wrong or it won’t apply to GUZ or won’t apply to K1. :((

2019/07/17  Met online

2019/08/29  1st in-person meeting in 3rd country for 5 days

2019/10/04  I-129F sent

2019/10/08  I-129F delivered

2019/10/11  NOA1 text & email received

2019/10/15  NOA1 check cashed

2019/10/17  NOA1 hard copy received

2020/02/10  NOA2- Case was approved (USCIS website status changed on 02/12)

2020/02/15  NOA2 hard copy received

Timeline
21 minutes ago, LittlePug said:

I just saw some saying that in US embassy in BEIJING, the interview you can schedule is after November now. I am really sorry if my English cause misunderstanding. If possible please read below link for what I saw (in Chinese):

I am in the process of K1 visa and I wonder how it is now for the embassy in Guangzhou. I am so upset and curious, don’t know who I can talk with. That is such a long time. I really hate this virus. Please someone tell me I am wrong or it won’t apply to GUZ or won’t apply to K1. :((

This can’t be possible. I don’t know where this person 洛杉矶房东 got their information but that just can’t be possible. The virus situation in China is under control and infection numbers dropping by the thousands daily. The disruption in China will be under control before it’s under control in the States. What I find interesting is that only the Italian embassy in Milan has also suspended visa services but not South Korea or any other high infection rate countries. So that tells me once the numbers are below a thousand, the justification to continue the suspension would be null. I’m sure the state department is getting updates daily or weekly about the situation from staff still in China. My worst case scenario estimate is May. If China got it under control in a month and a held with a much larger population density, America should be able to do the same. There is no reason to wait until November. It might be that the system with let you schedule until November, I tried a few days ago to see the next available interview appointment on the website, to see if it had been updated, but it didn’t have a date listed like it usual does. I wouldn’t fret about it. All of our petitions will be extended, and some can be expedited after that under certain circumstances. 

DCF China

K1 Visa

Timeline

Thank you @OliverBa. I really hope it can be no latter than May. My case is still “at NVC” and it seems the US embassy in Guangzhou just doesn’t receive new packages at this moment. I feel so sad and perplexed and sorry for bringing this panic here. :(

Here I found another Weibo article saying Guangzhou is May 28 (while Beijing is Nov 29).

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4479612052920712

Still late. But a bit relieved for me. 

2019/07/17  Met online

2019/08/29  1st in-person meeting in 3rd country for 5 days

2019/10/04  I-129F sent

2019/10/08  I-129F delivered

2019/10/11  NOA1 text & email received

2019/10/15  NOA1 check cashed

2019/10/17  NOA1 hard copy received

2020/02/10  NOA2- Case was approved (USCIS website status changed on 02/12)

2020/02/15  NOA2 hard copy received

Timeline
12 minutes ago, LittlePug said:

Thank you @OliverBa. I really hope it can be no latter than May. My case is still “at NVC” and it seems the US embassy in Guangzhou just doesn’t receive new packages at this moment. I feel so sad and perplexed and sorry for bringing this panic here. :(

Here I found another Weibo article saying Guangzhou is May 28 (while Beijing is Nov 29).

I’ll email the embassy to confirm. I cant find any source to back up these dates except for a few Chinese websites, but nothing on the embassy websites or USTravelDocs. I’ll ask the embassy and post their reply here when they reply. 

DCF China

K1 Visa

Timeline
30 minutes ago, LittlePug said:

I sent the email but now I really think it’s fake news because after searching I found the original article, or at least the earliest dated one that I could find of February 12th, and the dates are totally different. 

自从2月12开始,受疫情影响,美国驻中国大使馆也暂停了所有美国的签证. 等待多日后,终于迎来了好消息,美国签证预约恢复了!我们也第一时间查询了官方确认
上海领区可预约最早时间:2020年5月12日
北京领区可预约最早时间:2020年5月20日
成都领区可预约最早时间:2020年5月4日
广州领区可预约最早时间:2020年4月16日
沈阳领区可预约最早时间:2020年3月12日

DCF China

K1 Visa

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
9 hours ago, LittlePug said:

I really hope it can be no latter than May. My case is still “at NVC” and it seems the US embassy in Guangzhou just doesn’t receive new packages at this moment. I feel so sad and perplexed and sorry for bringing this panic here.

We all understand, it is the unknown that causes the most stress.  According to my fiance they are down to about 100 active cases in Guangzhou and we are thinking that the consulate will be open May 1st at the latest.  (But of course that is just our opinions.)  Things are steadily improving over there is no reason to believe it will not continue to do so.  I am not sure what visa services they offer at the Beijing embassy that they would say that, but as long as all K1's are handled in Guangzhou I would not worry about it.

Stay strong, this to shall pass.

Timeline
16 hours ago, LittlePug said:

他们是根据B1/B2 visa "第一个可选的预约“时间估计出来, 只有广州办理K1. 现在广州领事馆都不办公所以我们的K1不会有什么进展

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn_zh/index.html?firstTime=No

They are using B1/B2 visa appointment availability to publish these times. Currently B1/B2 in Beijing has earliest availability at the end of November, Guangzhou and Chengdu both have first appointments in June. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, jd_malachi said:

We all understand, it is the unknown that causes the most stress.  According to my fiance they are down to about 100 active cases in Guangzhou and we are thinking that the consulate will be open May 1st at the latest.  (But of course that is just our opinions.)  Things are steadily improving over there is no reason to believe it will not continue to do so.  I am not sure what visa services they offer at the Beijing embassy that they would say that, but as long as all K1's are handled in Guangzhou I would not worry about it.

Stay strong, this to shall pass.

That's actually good to hear about the remaining cases they are still processing, we haven't heard from them for over a month now and our case is stuck at the embassy for AP for 6 weeks. Hopefully we are in that batch of 100.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.