nasse_forelle

When do you do the medical exam?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

Hi Everyone - happy Friday -

Just wondering when you do the medical exam for the K1 timeline? Can we do it now, or do we need to wait until a case number is assigned? I already know the preferred Embassy medical doctor's name and location. Can we do make an appointment now?

Filed: Other Timeline

You will need to have a case # before you go to the medical exam. The physicians need your case # to write into the forms that they'll seal for you. You will have to wait until the NVC gives you a case #, if they haven't already.

I learned the hard way, I hope YOU don't have to. Advice: learn, learn, learn.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

As stated above, medical exams do require a case number, but more importantly your Visa expiration date is tied to the date of the medical exam, so you only want to do the exam 2-3 weeks early max. Want to have as much time to use the visa as possible. I know everyone thinks soon as my visa is in my hand I'm out the next day, but things happen, and you might need an extra month or two to clean up some things.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Depends on the country. In DK you do not have to wait to get the NOA2 or case number to get the medical but I would recommend anyone to wait because of the date they print in the visa if anything goes wrong or extra wait time. 

I usually suggest people do their medical once the consulate receives the case, UNLESS the consulate is notorious for long appointment times (Canada), which then you should schedule it 2-3 weeks before your interview date.

visa Issued

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

As stated above, medical exams do require a case number, but more importantly your Visa expiration date is tied to the date of the medical exam, so you only want to do the exam 2-3 weeks early max. Want to have as much time to use the visa as possible. I know everyone thinks soon as my visa is in my hand I'm out the next day, but things happen, and you might need an extra month or two to clean up some things.

Wow . I didn’t know medical exam date is tied to the visa expiration date . Good to know . Definitely don’t want to do this too early. 

Maybe using this “down time” to check up on vaccination records instead and do all that 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 hour ago, nasse_forelle said:

Wow . I didn’t know medical exam date is tied to the visa expiration date . Good to know . Definitely don’t want to do this too early. 

Maybe using this “down time” to check up on vaccination records instead and do all that 

Exactly what I did with my fiancee. Started vaccinations as soon as we filed ( we did a K1). And she was able to get all the vaccinations done before the exam. Saved a bunch of money ( always a good thing), and she was able to complete the whole series of vaccinations. Some require multiple injections spaced months apart.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

10 hours ago, Tacos said:

Is there a way to find out what vaccinations are required? What would be a proper record for the doctors that do the medical exams?

Help us out with completing your profile and timeline. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/vaccinations.html

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

13 hours ago, SorrowL said:

I usually suggest people do their medical once the consulate receives the case, UNLESS the consulate is notorious for long appointment times (Canada), which then you should schedule it 2-3 weeks before your interview date.

With each embassy appointment schedule is different your point being made in the last sentence should be used as the yardstick to getting the medical exam. The visa validity is tied to the medical exam. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

4 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

With each embassy appointment schedule is different your point being made in the last sentence should be used as the yardstick to getting the medical exam. The visa validity is tied to the medical exam. 

Very true. Some consulates and doctors allow medical exams earlier in the process, but don't suggest it. I personally got my medical exam and I HAPPEN to have gotten an interview invitation an hour after my medical, and scheduled my interview for a week from that day. Turned out that I had my interview and my medical hadn't even made it to the consulate yet. 

All in all, getting the medical exam is a sort of finesse, dependent on where you are and which consulate you have, just like you said, best method "yardstick" is 2-3 weeks before the interview.

Edited by SorrowL

visa Issued

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

But how do you know which vaccinations are needed??  at the bottom of the list it says this

"Only a physician can determine which of the listed vaccinations are medically appropriate for you, given your age, medical history and current medical condition. For more detailed information, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Panel Physician Technical Instructions for Vaccination."

7 minutes ago, elkski said:

But how do you know which vaccinations are needed??  at the bottom of the list it says this

"Only a physician can determine which of the listed vaccinations are medically appropriate for you, given your age, medical history and current medical condition. For more detailed information, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Panel Physician Technical Instructions for Vaccination."

13 hours ago, Tacos said:

Is there a way to find out what vaccinations are required? What would be a proper record for the doctors that do the medical exams?

vaccine-requirements.jpg

visa Issued

5 hours ago, elkski said:

You don't know. The professional staff at the medical exam uses a couple of means to determine what you'll need. 

1. If you have a shot (vaccination) record booklet of those vaccinations you've received during your life.

2. In lieu of the shot record they'll interview you on what you think you have had.

3. They use skin observation to see the scar tissue to determine whether you have had any vaccinations and which ones.

4. They will use some of the blood they withdraw during your examine and test it.

So pretty much they will be dead on in their assessment of what vaccinations are needed. This is nothing you need to research as it will be determined by the medical staff which ones you will need.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
12 hours ago, elkski said:

We plan to to go the home doctor in Austria and just hand him the vaccination requirements published online . Whatever the home doctor says we need , we’ll get them.   But yea ultimately medical doctor in Vienna has the ultimate say. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.