Letspaintcookies

January 2020 - AOS Filers (merged)

2,086 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, andychris said:

Thank you!! and congrats to you too 🎉
It's been 3 weeks and still says Case was approved 😒 Did it change for you already?

Congrats everyone. Going strictly off the case history it looks like your status of “case approved” will remain as so for about 3 weeks when they mail the card. 
My case was just approved 2 days ago. I am not expecting them to mail my card until mid Aug. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Tan&Ni said:

Hello, does anyone know which banks allow you open a new account WITHOUT a social security number? 

I was able to open an account with TD Bank when I got here last year. No SSN required. 

2 hours ago, andychris said:

It's been 3 weeks and still says Case was approved 😒 Did it change for you already?

Thanks! And nope - no change for me either. Based on other posts I've seen on here, I suspect ours will be mailed out early - mid next week. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
2 hours ago, Zsazsa said:

I was able to open an account with TD Bank when I got here last year. No SSN required. 

You’re so helpful, thanks!

50 minutes ago, sherif-fouad said:

I opened an account in Wells Fargo with no SSN. And I recommend that you apply for their secured credit card, it will help you build credit while waiting for your SSN.

Okay, thanks for the info!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, sherif-fouad said:

I opened an account in Wells Fargo with no SSN. And I recommend that you apply for their secured credit card, it will help you build credit while waiting for your SSN.

Once you have a SS number, you can be added as an authorized user of your spouses credit cards and immediately start getting credit based on the payment history and metrics of their cards.    We did that and now I have a 775 credit profile which is really good.     With that score it is easier to apply for my own credit card if I wanted one and buy jointly....   house or car.

Timeline

12/ I2/18 NOA1 - I129F

05/20/18 Consulate Received

07/16/19 Consulate Interview (We could have scheduled 6/11) 

10/31/19 POE - Dallas DFW

11/19/19 Social Security Card - Applied

12/20/19 Social Security Card - Received

12/31/19 Marriage 

01/02/20 Social Security Card - Changed Name

01/11/20 G1145, I485, I864, I131, i765 - FedEx - Sent

01/13/20 Texas DL - Passed Written Test and Received Driving Permit with Restrictions

01/15/20 Texas DL - Passed Driving Test and Received Temporary DL - Restrictions Removed

01/14/20 G1145, I485, I864, I131, I765 - Fed Ex - Delivered

01/17/20 NOA1 - I485, I131, I765 - Notice Date

01/21/20 Apply for Capital One Secured Credit Card to Establish Credit File to buy Auto

01/21/20 The 3 USCIS Text Received (7 Days Later)

01/22/20 Funds pulled from account by ACH Debit  $1225 (8 Days Later)

01/27/20 NOA1 - I485, I131, I765 - Received in the Mail

01/28/20 90 Day K1 Admittance and Driver License Expire

01/28/20 Renew DL - Use NOA1

01/15/2021  Status changed to Interview Scheduled

01/22/2021  Interview Noticed Received in the Mail

2/23/2021  Interview for the I485 and verbal Approval

2/24/2021  I485 Status changed:  New Card is being approved

2/26/2021  I485 Status changed:  Card Was Mailed To Me

7 hours ago, andychris said:

Update: Status changed to ‘card was mailed to me’ this afternoon. Hopefully it’s the same for you! For everyone else, this is based on an approval date of 6/25.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
21 hours ago, Tan&Ni said:

Hello, does anyone know which banks allow you open a new account WITHOUT a social security number? 

Bank of America and Chase

Hi everyone! I hope y’all are keeping safe, happy and healthy! 🙂

Update from me:  no news on my cancelled green card interview from April being rescheduled. 

I FINALLY got my SSN changed to my married name and updated the SS office to let them know I have an EAD.

Backstory: I applied for a SSN within a week of arrival into the U.S rather than doing it with my GC forms - like I know some others have done! I knew I would need this number for a much smoother process when it came to opening a bank account, health insurance etc.  I got my card within a couple weeks but when I went back after I got married to change it into my new name, they couldn’t do it because my I-94 had expired so I kept failing the security clearance. I contacted them when I got my state ID and asked if I could use that but I was advised to come back again with my Greencard and they could definitely update using that. I decided to try again with my EAD on Thursday of last week and I got my updated SSN card in the mail today. 🙂🥳. Feeling very relieved to be one small step closer. 

Next steps for me are trying to tackle getting my driving license (a nightmare with COVID closing down the DMV/DOL) and then hopefully I will get some news on the greencard! 

This journey is teaching me patience, patience, patience!! 😃😉

Best of luck to everyone, wherever you are in this process and for whatever issue you are currently trying to resolve! It’s a very stressful time for us and also collectively so be KIND to yourself and to one another. 

❤️🌈🌸

33 minutes ago, Meg101 said:

Update from me:  no news on my cancelled green card interview from April being rescheduled. 

I FINALLY got my SSN changed to my married name and updated the SS office to let them know I have an EAD.

Backstory: I applied for a SSN within a week of arrival into the U.S rather than doing it with my GC forms - like I know some others have done! I knew I would need this number for a much smoother process when it came to opening a bank account, health insurance etc.  I got my card within a couple weeks but when I went back after I got married to change it into my new name, they couldn’t do it because my I-94 had expired so I kept failing the security clearance. I contacted them when I got my state ID and asked if I could use that but I was advised to come back again with my Greencard and they could definitely update using that. I decided to try again with my EAD on Thursday of last week and I got my updated SSN card in the mail today. 🙂🥳. Feeling very relieved to be one small step closer. 

Next steps for me are trying to tackle getting my driving license (a nightmare with COVID closing down the DMV/DOL) and then hopefully I will get some news on the greencard! 

Best of luck to everyone, wherever you are in this process and for whatever issue you are currently trying to resolve! It’s a very stressful time for us and also collectively so be KIND to yourself and to one another. 

❤️🌈🌸

Hi, when you changed to your new name, do you need to provide them to proof your new name? Are they going to take your old ssn card back, then issue you a new one? Or the let you keep both old/new name card? Thank you.

16 minutes ago, cammi9988 said:

Hi, when you changed to your new name, do you need to provide them to proof your new name? Are they going to take your old ssn card back, then issue you a new one? Or the let you keep both old/new name card? Thank you.

They didn’t take my old SSN card, I still have that. I was just issued a new card in the mail that says my new name and also that it is valid for work with DHS authorisation only.

To get it changed, I had to fill in a simple form which is identical to the one I did when I first applied back in December. I also had to show my passport, birth certificate and marriage certificate. I wasnt asked for it but I also showed a letter to prove that I had already been in the process of trying to sort this out before my I-94 record and K1 fiancée visa expired and before COVID began.

Unfortunately, many social security offices are completely closed to the public. I just got incredibly lucky that someone at my local office agreed to help me because it had been over 6 months since I first contacted about it. I live in Washington state so the requirements may be different in your state. 

Good luck! 🙂

22 minutes ago, Meg101 said:

They didn’t take my old SSN card, I still have that. I was just issued a new card in the mail that says my new name and also that it is valid for work with DHS authorisation only.

To get it changed, I had to fill in a simple form which is identical to the one I did when I first applied back in December. I also had to show my passport, birth certificate and marriage certificate. I wasnt asked for it but I also showed a letter to prove that I had already been in the process of trying to sort this out before my I-94 record and K1 fiancée visa expired and before COVID began.

Unfortunately, many social security offices are completely closed to the public. I just got incredibly lucky that someone at my local office agreed to help me because it had been over 6 months since I first contacted about it. I live in Washington state so the requirements may be different in your state. 

Good luck! 🙂

Thank you and congrats, I just checked and my local office is still close, and I don’t think they accepting any walk-in person service.

1 hour ago, cammi9988 said:

and I don’t think they accepting any walk-in person service.

Correct. The local office can do in-person appointment if they agree it's "critical": https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/ "However, we are still able to provide critical services. If you have a critical situation that we cannot help you with by phone or online, we may be able to schedule an in-office appointment for you."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
3 hours ago, Meg101 said:

❤️🌈🌸

Were you able to walk in at the SSA? If so, that’s amazing! The offices are still closed in Houston 😭😭😭

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.