Tourist Visa for Family Right After Becoming a US Citizen

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Before I start, I'd like to mention that I recently got approved for naturalization, and the knowledge I have received from this community was MAJOR. 

So, I (27m) visited Nigeria (where I was born) last month to see my family for the first time after 10 years of studying and working across 7 different countries in the Americas.

Unfortunately, my trip was very short-lived and all of our plans went out the window because I got very ill. Apparently, my immune system was always bound to not be very repellent to illnesses in Nigeria after such a long absence.

Long story short, I'd like to invite my mother, and 4 siblings to come stay with me for 2 weeks, however, I am not sure that would be such a great idea given the fact that I recently became a citizen and this might be misconceived as intent to immigrate.

FYI: I know I cannot technically sponsor them in the eyes of the US govt, but I am financially capable and will [alongside my wife] be responsible for them in the US.

I will try to list their ties to Nigeria [and some negatives] in the hope that I could get some insight to what's weak/strong and their chances of getting approved [Yes, I know nobody can say for certain who will get approved, however, I am a logical man, and I'd like to weight their chances]

Also, are there any other documents/ties we should consider providing ?

Mother (55):

Owns a huge international business back home, and goes on a lot of business trips (probably 50x in the last 10 years to 3 different countries)

Owns A lot of assets (including my late father's assets)

Permanently lives in Nigeria.

Brother #1 (21):

Just graduated college with a degree in Economics

Never left the country

Has always been groomed to take over mother's business because of his 'ridiculous' business mind, and actually spends ALL of his time assisting mother with running the business.

On parent's will to inherit some assets

Brother #2 (23):

Dropped out of a Naval college cos he wants to own and run his own business

Currently working on a property renovation project for me

Never left the country

Got denied a visa to Korea for a business trip with mother

May be getting married soon in Nigeria to a Nigerian he probably got pregnant [complicated]

Sister #1 (25):

Currently in Med school in China (for about 3 years now)

Married to an Australian Permanent Resident and visits Australia quite often.

Aside from China, and Australia, she has been to one other country in Asia.

Sister #2 (31):

Graduated college a few years ago.

Currently owns and runs a small business in Nigeria

Only been to one other country: the UAE

Not married but engaged to a Nigerian in Nigeria

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

They must all apply and be approved on their own merits and their merits alone. No one here can tell you their chances. Nigeria is a high fraud country so they must be able to prove that they have VERY strong ties to home.

You do not invite them and an invitation letter will not even be considered

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They obviously can afford the application fee, so why not apply and find out. Nobody on here can tell you and anyway it is not a chance based process.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Cathi said:

They must all apply and be approved on their own merits and their merits alone. No one here can tell you their chances. Nigeria is a high fraud country so they must be able to prove that they have VERY strong ties to home.

You do not invite them and an invitation letter will not even be considered

Thank you.

I understand. 

And as you said, being a Nigerian does not help matters at all, sadly.

I know I cannot sponsor, I am just scared my recent naturalization might be bad for them. and I truly like to know if I need to be providing a LOT more ties or not.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

They obviously can afford the application fee, so why not apply and find out. Nobody on here can tell you and anyway it is not a chance based process.

Thank you. I am not worried about the app fee. 

I have applied for many visas, and I was always well prepared if not over-prepared, and very confident in my chances.

The point is I know past denials can hurt someone; so nobody would even bother applying if I am NOT confident in the quality of their ties and application.

I am simply trying to get a feel of the quality of the ties I listed.

Timeline

There situation is what it is, you do not manufacture ties they are what they are.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, 837465 said:

I truly like to know if I need to be providing a LOT more ties or not.

Not you, but they should.

22 minutes ago, 837465 said:

I know I cannot sponsor, I am just scared my recent naturalization might be bad for them. and I truly like to know if I need to be providing a LOT more ties or not.

Not sure why you keep saying that you can’t sponsor, the fact that you are (when you are) naturalized means you can sponsor them, and your mom would be an immediate relative. When is your oath ceremony?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Not you, but they should.

Thank you; exactly what I was looking for.

I have done a little bit of research and most ties I see fall under the categories : Job/Career, Education, Business, Spouse & Kids & Other Dependents, Volunteer Work & Organization Memberships, Assets

Hopefully, they can provide a lot more ties [if available] under the majority of the afore-listed categories.

Are there other categories I should be looking at?

Timeline
15 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Not sure why you keep saying that you can’t sponsor, the fact that you are (when you are) naturalized means you can sponsor them, and your mom would be an immediate relative. When is your oath ceremony?

Ah Yes!

I technically can sponsor a immigrant petition for my mother, but she has 0 desire to live here... but the Govt does not know that and I fear it could affect her visa application because of the timing.

As for my siblings, one's moving to Australia to live with her husband after studies in China , two are getting married home - with one already running her own business, and the youngest will be inheriting a lucrative business to run back home. so there is 0 sense in trying to come here to live... and it makes no sense to even sponsor them cos of the wait times.

To clarify my comments,  I know I cannot sponsor their tourist visa since the US govt does not even recognize that, and they have to prove their ties back to their home on their own.

Oath ceremony was in Nov 2019.

Edited by 837465

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Boiler said:

There situation is what it is, you do not manufacture ties they are what they are.

That is true and I completely agree. 

I am just wondering if there are other ties [hopefully ones they have] that I should be looking to include in their application.

Timeline

It is not your application it is theirs to complete and it is not a free form document, they just answer the questions.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

If I were you, i wouldn’t have all four apply at this time. May be your mom and one sibling apply this time, and the other two apply next year or so. Not that it guarantees the approval but it may change the way the CO perceives it when they see the entire family trying to go to the US.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
7 minutes ago, arken said:

If I were you, i wouldn’t have all four apply at this time. May be your mom and one sibling apply this time, and the other two apply next year or so. Not that it guarantees the approval but it may change the way the CO perceives it when they see the entire family trying to go to the US.

I thought about that too, and you just confirmed it for me. I will try to figure out who has the best chance on paper, and have him/her apply alongside mother.

Thank you so much.  

14 hours ago, 837465 said:

To clarify my comments,  I know I cannot sponsor their tourist visa since the US govt does not even recognize that, and they have to prove their ties back to their home on their own.

Nonsense. Nigeria and the Philippines among other consider high risk for immigration fraud. You are right to cast your fear but put them aside.

Consular officers do approve non-immigration visa (NIV) at US Embassy Manila . My wife and I have a friend who travel to United States more than often. Look at the bright side, those Filipino often granted NIV once the applicant is able to demonstrate ability and desire to return their homeland. In fact US Embassy Manila highly encourage them to do so. The Embassy has strong tie with Filipino entertainers and celebrities to promote America tourism and traffic. See here,  

Edited by SilentOdyssey
Rhyme and reason to cast fear aside

Landed in Cagayan de Oro : August 4, 2007 (same Port where General Douglas MacArthur arrived as he escaped Japanese Naval)

Met in Assembly of God church : October 28, 2007

Civil Union Marriage : May 12, 2008

Birth of our son Ryker : November 8, 2010

CRBA interview, result: approval : August 20, 2014

CRBA + US Passport received: Sept. 11, 2014

USCIS DCF accepted @ U.S.E Manila: August 20, 2014

NOA2 via snail mail received, bypass G-1145 request: August 29, 2014 *LATE (Tsk-tsk, did you forgot to e-Notification us, USCIS?)

U.S.E Manila IV Unit assigned case #, notified us with Packet 3 : September 3, 2014

AOS (part for Packet 3) sent and received, from Applicant (me) to Beneficiary (my wife) : Sept 8-10, 2014

Medical examination @ SLEC) : passed : Sept 15, 2014

IV Interview : approved and issued : Sep19, 2014

Visa packet: next stop

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark 9:23, 24 ~ Αἴ δύνασαι, The most approved reading in English rendering is, If thou canst! All things are possible to him that believeth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

General things in VJ is Do-It-Yourself site which we all would help, giving advices, pointers and tips. I would like to think those law practitioners-for-paid and legal guide (the navigator-for-hired) out there: those who might like us not to perform DIY but letting them do all legal paperworks, pretending s/he know the best route for shortcut or else to apply jurisdiction, e.g. under the table, are merely fable and cannot stop us. This is information age we are living. WE all have same knot to tie, same kind of anxiety, same kind of sweat, of facing judgmental day whether CO grant our visa or not. If you do what we did​ you will achieve nothing less but pride in your accomplishment.

Question for you: will you be willing go through all navigating to learn and study trial and errors of others and then apply toward your pathway to get U.S. visa? Even this means making feedback or giving input from your candid observation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.