Tourist Visa for Family Right After Becoming a US Citizen

35 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

@837465 Please I’ll like you to update us on this issue as most of us have conflicting answers. The truth is no one knows what will actually happen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What are the conflicting answers?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

21 minutes ago, Major said:

. The truth is no one knows what will actually happen.

Well that’s stating the obvious, but obviously we have signals.

immigrant intent for parents of citizens is always scrutinized 

two thirds of Nigerian b visa applicants are denied https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY19.pdf

yes this case may be one of the third not denied, but odds are not in favor. Needs to present best case.

by the way for the record I don’t believe it makes any difference if they all apply at the same time or not. Each person is judged on his/her own merits. We have seen cases before of families applying together and some are denied and some are granted.

6 hours ago, Major said:

@837465 Please I’ll like you to update us on this issue as most of us have conflicting answers. The truth is no one knows what will actually happen.

You do not seem to have a firm grasp of the issues here.

OP, I think your family sounds like a very grounded, successful group of individuals with prosperous lives and no real need or interest in immigrating to the US.  Best of luck and please let us know how the interviews go.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Omo Naija, Since you want probabilities I will provide rough estimates based on what I personally experienced after about nineteen years of inviting (I use the term loosely) friends and family to the USA . Your recently becoming a citizen is immaterial. Being on the will to inherit parents doesn’t mean much. Until the Will is executed, the potential inheritor is not considered wealthy in their own right.

1. Mum: Very High
  2. Brother 1: Extremely low. From my experience recent grads without travel experience have extremely low chances of being granted USA visitor visas. Almost nil.
  3. Brother 2: Almost nil. Lacks college education, unmarried, probably working informally for brother.
  4. Sister 1: Good to Very Good: Very strong ties (marriage, in middle of good education, travel experience to affluent countries)
  5. Sister 2: Very very low: Unmarried, fragile ties

Looks like you come from an affluent successful family. I wouldn’t recommend Brother 1, 2, and Sister 2 apply. They are almost certain to get dinged and then would have to answer yes to that question about being previously refused a visa when they reapply or apply to another country.

That said there is a good degree of luck involved. Over to you

PS: There’s news of some kind of travel ban/restriction on Nigeria in the works by Trump. Details unknown yet. You may either want to hurry up and apply, or wait to see exactly what it is. Ghana has something similar which was just removed last month. It was limited to low duration visas for government officials.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.