bahamian86

Rfie for federal income but wife meets 3x the 125%

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Bahamas
Timeline

Like title says we sent transcripts to show she makes above the 125% for our household size but they are asking for a joint sponsor. Need a little advice. Could this be a mix up on their end?  Should we just resend the transcripts and maybe a little more info like letter from employer and paystubs? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It's not a mix up, not on the USCIS side at least. Tax transcripts do not show current income. You got an RFE because without paystubs, letter from employer, contracts or other documents showing current wages (as stated in the instructions for the i864), no one can determine if your wife would qualify as a sponsor on her own.

Edited by Nat&Amy

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Nat&Amy said:

It's not a mix up, not on the USCIS side at least. Tax transcripts do not show current income. You got an RFE because without paystubs, letter from employer, contracts or other documents showing current wages (as stated in the instructions for the i864), no one can determine if your wife would qualify as a sponsor on her own.

Thank you. Guess we failed in providing all the supporting proof we possibly could. I’m just stumped on my next move. Just trying to decide whether to submit those documents with this rfe or find a co sponsor although it’s not needed. 

18 hours ago, bahamian86 said:

Like title says we sent transcripts to show she makes above the 125% for our household size but they are asking for a joint sponsor. Need a little advice. Could this be a mix up on their end?  Should we just resend the transcripts and maybe a little more info like letter from employer and paystubs? 

Does the RFE tell you what specific documents they need you to send? I would just send these documents ASAP. 

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
18 hours ago, Nat&Amy said:

I don’t completely agree with this statement. My partner and I sent only the IRS tax transcripts (nothing else), and did not receive an RFE.

You may respond with more supporting documentation and an explanation, but I would also recommend obtaining a joint sponsor if that’s feasible.

Edited by gramercygreen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
20 hours ago, bahamian86 said:

Tax transcripts show what was earned in the past.  Current income is king.....

Example (hypothetical situation):  An employee sends transcripts indicating $500,000 per year for the past 3 years...but is now unemployed........current income is now $0.......A sponsor cannot support a new immigrant with no income......transcripts can show a stable income history, but current/future income is king.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

29 minutes ago, gramercygreen said:

I don’t completely agree with this statement. My partner and I sent only the IRS tax transcripts (nothing else), and did not receive an RFE.

Depends on your source of income. If you are self-employed, then the most recent tax return shows your current income.

If you are a W-2 earner, what you made between 12 to 24 months ago at this point does not show your current income. Pay stubs and/or an employement letter would.

It's possible that an IO was convinced about not becoming a public charge with tax returns alone + claiming current income on the I-864. It's not the norm, but that's their decision to make.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, gramercygreen said:

You may respond with more supporting documentation and an explanation, but I would also recommend obtaining a joint sponsor if that’s feasible.

As per instructions on the i864:

The following items must be submitted with Form I-864:
For ALL sponsors:
A copy of your individual Federal income tax return, including W-2s for the most recent tax year, or a statement 
and/or evidence describing why you were not required to file. Also include a copy of each and every Form 1099, 
Schedule, and any other evidence of reported income.

By not sending other evidence of income, you open yourself to a RFE. Why take the risk, especially when the documents proving employment are available?

Also, we would appreciate if you could fill your timeline. It says you have not yet had your interview, but you are claiming you have not received an RFE - I assume you haven't yet entered the date of your approval.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, Nat&Amy said:

As per instructions on the i864:

The following items must be submitted with Form I-864:
For ALL sponsors:
A copy of your individual Federal income tax return, including W-2s for the most recent tax year, or a statement 
and/or evidence describing why you were not required to file. Also include a copy of each and every Form 1099, 
Schedule, and any other evidence of reported income.

By not sending other evidence of income, you open yourself to a RFE. Why take the risk, especially when the documents proving employment are available?

she 

Also, we would appreciate if you could fill your timeline. It says you have not yet had your interview, but you are claiming you have not received an RFE - I assume you haven't yet entered the date of your approval.

sounds like she did not send the IRS transcripts to support the income claim

they ask for 1099 which is either retirement or SS income or interest on investments/ this may not be taxable depending on earned income so they want proof by a copy of the 1099

Edited by kris&me

3 hours ago, missileman said:

Tax transcripts show what was earned in the past.  Current income is king.....

Example (hypothetical situation):  An employee sends transcripts indicating $500,000 per year for the past 3 years...but is now unemployed........current income is now $0.......A sponsor cannot support a new immigrant with no income......transcripts can show a stable income history, but current/future income is king.

Yeah I’d have to agree..

we sent transcripts for 3 years plus a letter from his employer saying he’s still employed full time, wages year to date (as of oct 2019) and overall expected annual income total.. 

id say add a letter under additional documents tad to support current employment 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Duke & Marie said:

Yeah I’d have to agree..

we sent transcripts for 3 years plus a letter from his employer saying he’s still employed full time, wages year to date (as of oct 2019) and overall expected annual income total.. 

id say add a letter under additional documents tad to support current employment 

As I recall, I sent copies of tax returns along with my military retirement statement and my Social Security retirement benefit letter to show current income.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
22 hours ago, gramercygreen said:

Ok thank you all for your input. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.