Nikki06

2020/ 21- US Passport & Card Application-Tracker

2,779 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
5 hours ago, medic5678 said:

Finally, an open door!   The U.S. Embassy in Thailand is granting us an emergency passport appointment this next week.  They can give us a passport that day.  I have been sweating this because I will lose about $1,300 in plane fares if we don't catch the flight.   In addition, my wife's job desperately needs her back and my little girl is starting school on August 10.  I don't know who in the US Embassy is helping us, but they are aware that the U.S. Passport Agency isn't functioning for many people.  

I am very thankful to see this nightmare end!   It looks like lawmakers are well aware of the problems here and the system is addressing it.   This has been hell for us because my family has been trapped in Thailand without my daughter's passport.  

Oh wow! That’s wonderful news. 
I hope this goes through and everything works out. I feel relieved for you. 

49 minutes ago, aa1979 said:

I thought you knew about that as an option!  

That was my final option, because she left the USA without a US passport.     This is not so easy if you haven't been issued a passport.   Once we got to the point where I knew I couldn't receive a passport and mail it to her in time to fly, I pulled out all the stops.   They were very understanding and helpful.

Filed: Other Timeline
7 hours ago, medic5678 said:

That was my final option, because she left the USA without a US passport.     This is not so easy if you haven't been issued a passport.   Once we got to the point where I knew I couldn't receive a passport and mail it to her in time to fly, I pulled out all the stops.   They were very understanding and helpful.

For next time, just so you know... Whether you are here in this country or abroad, you may issue an emergency same day passport (or at least within 3 days of applying to a passport in some rare cases). You may have to show reasons for the need to use such an option, but it is an option for US citizens.  Just so you know...

Just now, aa1979 said:

For next time, just so you know... Whether you are here in this country or abroad, you may issue an emergency same day passport (or at least within 3 days of applying to a passport in some rare cases). You may have to show reasons for the need to use such an option, but it is an option for US citizens.  Just so you know...

They can only issue you a passport IF you have already been issued a passport.  in other words, a replacement passport.    In her case, the passport is essentially a declaration of citizenship, so they are far more cautious about it.  I am thinking they haven't produced a physical passport for her initial application and gotten it mailed, but they had assigned her a number that ACS Thailand found in the system.  This meant she was cleared for U.S. Citizenship.  I can now declare the original passport lost, and file for a new one.  Those are the forms they are having us bring.   There cannot be a next time because she will already have her first passport.  

It's not a big deal to get a replacement passport at any U.S. Embassy in the world.  Getting a passport when you have a minor child who had a Greencard and  got adopted is a longer process.  I never did a Certificate of Citizenship for her because a passport is proof of citizenship.

I will be breathing easier when they are actually on the airplane in Bangkok.  I'm flying up to JFK to meet them, then we're all flying back home on the same airplane.  I have to say that my years with my wife have made me pretty spoiled.  At this time, the house is a wreck, the grass is high, my hair is too long, I've gained over 20 lbs in the last 4 1/2 months eating fast food.   It's a total disaster through and through.   I will be very happy to get them home and have things get back to normal!  On the plus side, my wife was able to finish our house in Thailand, where we have built a small palace.  Her family has a beautiful place to live now.

My advice to everyone is to have a passport and apply for it LONG before you think you'll ever need to travel.   On the first day after I adopted my daughter, I should have applied.  I wouldn't have even had to pay a fee to expedite it.   

22 hours ago, medic5678 said:

They can only issue you a passport IF you have already been issued a passport.  in other words, a replacement passport.    In her case, the passport is essentially a declaration of citizenship, so they are far more cautious about it.  I am thinking they haven't produced a physical passport for her initial application and gotten it mailed, but they had assigned her a number that ACS Thailand found in the system.  This meant she was cleared for U.S. Citizenship.  I can now declare the original passport lost, and file for a new one.  Those are the forms they are having us bring.   There cannot be a next time because she will already have her first passport.  

It's not a big deal to get a replacement passport at any U.S. Embassy in the world.  Getting a passport when you have a minor child who had a Greencard and  got adopted is a longer process.  I never did a Certificate of Citizenship for her because a passport is proof of citizenship.

It is not that difficult for them to find out if your daughter is truly a citizen. At worst, all it takes is a phone call and they have ways to make these phone calls if needed. They just want the truly-in-need people of this type of service to use it and they want you to show on papers that you actually need it. Once you did that (once you showed that you need an emergently fast service) at the right place/institution, they started the quickest process for you. 

In regards to the papers you have/had to bring, it is to cancel the first process of issuing the other passport, because they don't want you to end up with two of them (it is illegal to carry two passports of the same country for one person). So, the channel to cancel that first process is through filing these forms.

The bottom line, you are done! Congratulations! and I agree with your advise in the other comment that no one should be waiting to the last minute to file for a passport.

Edited by aa1979

3 hours ago, citizenfiler123 said:

Filed July 16th for me and son - under regular processing (which i am regretting now). Check not cashed and no status as of now in Password tracker.

If you don't need your passport very soon, it will get processed soon and you won't really feel that pain once you have it.  Don't regret it at all.  I don't think it is that big of a difference. You will probably be marked as "in process" within the next 2-3 weeks. Just be patient and don't listen too much to the negative comments...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 hours ago, citizenfiler123 said:

Filed July 16th for me and son - under regular processing (which i am regretting now). Check not cashed and no status as of now in Password tracker.

Like someone else said, if you don't need the passports anytime soon then there's nothing to regret. You'll get your passports soon enough and you didn't have to spend an extra $60 per passport either. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

On 7/24/2021 at 4:48 PM, citizenfiler123 said:

my application received by processing center on July 1st.  my check still has not been cashed, so you are still within time frame I believe.  I also used routine service.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 7/24/2021 at 4:48 PM, citizenfiler123 said:

Maybe around August 16, status will update to "in process"...

AOS Timeline / Family-based

Feb 24, 2015 (day 0) - Sent Forms I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS to Chicago Lockbox
Feb 26, 2015 (day 2) - Package delivered and received.
Mar 03, 2015 (day 7) - Text / email messages from USCIS, receiving Forms I-130, I-485,
I-131 and I-765.
USD 420 and 1,070 Checks were cashed.
Mar 08, 2015 (day 12) - Paper receipts of I-797C for I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765 from mail.

Mar 13, 2015 (day 17) - Mail notice received for Biometrics appointment on March 25, 2015.

Mar 25, 2015 (day 29) - Completed Biometrics, as scheduled.

May 12, 2015 (day 75) - AP/EAD approved and Card has been ordered.

May 27, 2015 (day 90) - AP/EAD Card received in the mailbox.

June 3, 2015 (day 97) - Received NPIW letter in the mailbox.

Sept 24, 2015 (day 212) - I-130/I-485 approved. No Interview.

Sept 28, 2015 (day 216) - GC mailed.

Sept 30, 2015 (day 218) - GC received.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Filed for me and my kids passport July 15, no expedited service. I'm in the same boat as some of you. Money order not cash and no movement but I'm not worried. Waited longer than this for green card so the waiting game I'm use to lol.

AOS Timeline

21 May 2015 -- Mailed I-485 with EAD & AP to Chicago, IL
22 May 2015 -- Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
27 May 2015 -- NOA1 Notification via text/e-mail (transferred MSC)

05 June 2015 --Biometrics Appointment letter (appt June 15, 2015)
15 June 2015 --Successful Biometrics Walk In - Completed
22 June 2015 -- Case is Ready to be schedule for an interview
29 July 2015 -- Text/Email EAD/Travel Doc Approved 
11 Aug 2015 -- Card Mailed EAD/AP
13 Aug 2015 -- EAD/AP received

20 Aug 2015 -- Lazy agent did not submit application on Aug 13 reapplied SSN

26 Aug 2015 -- Received SSN in the mail

30 Dec 2015 -- Interview Scheduled (Feb 4, 2016)

04 Feb 2016 -- Interview (Approved)

10 Feb 2016 -- Received GC in the mail

ROC Timeline (Divorced

18 Jan 2018 -- Mailed 751 ROC package to Vermont

22 Jan 2018 -- Delivered to Vermont service center

25 Jan 2018 — Check Cashed

27 Jan 2018 — NOA 1 received in mail (dated 01/23/18)

02 Mar 2018 — Biometrics received in mail (dated 02/23/18) bio appointment 03/12/18

13 Aug  2018 — 18 month extension letter (dated 08/06)

08 Apr 2019 --- Case Approved (No Interview)

12 Apr 2019 --- NOA approval notice received in mail 

13 Apr 2019 --- Received GC in mail

N400 Timeline (Divorced)

28 Mar 2021 -- Filed N400 Online

28 Mar 2021 -- NOA1 Notification via text/e-mail 

29 Mar 2021 -- Biometrics Re-use via Email

05 Apr 2021 -- Interview Scheduled for May 05 (notice via email)

05 May 2021 --Interview (Approved)

05 May 2021-- Oath Ceremony (Same day Oath with interview)

US Passport 

15 Jul 2021 --  Applied USPS 

04 Aug 2021 -- In processed (Locator #42 New Orleans)

12 Oct 2021 -- Approved 

14 Oct 2021 -- Mailed from Tucson AZ

16 Oct 2021 -- Received in mail (CT)

01 Nov 2021 --  Naturalization Certificate returned to me 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
On 7/22/2021 at 9:30 AM, JourneyFromA2 said:

I went to USPS the same day as my oath ceremony and 7 days later on June 22, I got a notice that my application was received.

Exactly a month after, I got an email today stating that my application was approved. And another email immediately after that with the shipping info.986246136_ScreenShot2021-07-22at9_23_30AM.png.3d1212912720390cdde4709e53c6a1a1.png

1076071726_ScreenShot2021-07-22at9_27_44AM.png.c095ab0708af737c551092c294bc3b5c.png

Received my passport book on July 24. 

Received my passport card on July 26.

Currently waiting for my NC to come back from DOS.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Joining the club 😅. Filed July 14th using regular service. Originally I was supposed to file with USPS but something happened and they could not find my name on their roster even though I had all my confirmation information. So they couldn’t take me in 🙄 had to go to city court administration to file for my passport there. Check has not been cashed yet.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
1 hour ago, leymanai said:

they could not find my name on their roster even though I had all my confirmation information.

That must have been very frustrating. It was a 3 hour round trip for us to the closest USPS with an appointment - it would have been a rough drive home under similar circumstances. At the time, we also had an appointment with the local clerk but that was scheduled for the last day in August. 

good luck with your application. 

H1B: Feb 2001 (London)

L1A:  Jan 2014 (London)

AOS: May 24th 2016 - June 20th 2017

N400: March 23rd 2020 - June 29th 2021

Passport: July 1st 2021 - August 30th 2021

Social Security: July 1st 2021 - October 5th 2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.