Atac

Location of the lawyer for a K1 visa

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi I am a US citizen who got naturalized in 2015. I am currently living in Germany with my fiance. My fiance is an Ukraine citizen. 

We planning to apply for the K1 visa and return together to USA. 

Although this forum and other resources make application without a lawyer possible (thanks!), I would like to hire a lawyer to make sure that the process is easier.

The question I have is: Does it matter where this lawyer is? E.g would it be better to find a lawyer in USA or in Germany (that is a US lawyer who is located in Germany)? If USA, does it matter which state the lawyer is?

thanks a lot!

Edit: Specialization of the lawyer located in Germany.

Edited by Atac

How would a German lawyer know anything about US immigration?

1 minute ago, Atac said:

I would like to hire a lawyer to make sure that the process is easier.

Not sure what you think will be easier.  Even with a lawyer, it is the same amount of work for the petitioner to gather the documentation, and wait times are the same.  A lawyer also has no impact on approvals.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Atac said:

Hi I am a US citizen who got naturalized in 2015. I am currently living in Germany with my fiance. My fiance is an Ukraine citizen. 

Although this forum and other resources make application without a lawyer possible (thanks!), I would like to hire a lawyer to make sure that the process is easier.

The question I have is: Does it matter where this lawyer is? E.g would it be better to find a lawyer in USA or in Germany? If USA, does it matter which state the lawyer is?

thanks a lot!

You don't need a lawyer. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Atac said:

The question I have is: Does it matter where this lawyer is? E.g would it be better to find a lawyer in USA or in Germany (that is a US lawyer who is located in Germany)? If USA, does it matter which state the lawyer is?

thanks a lot!

Edit: Specialization of the lawyer located in Germany.

Why a K-1?   If you are together, have you considered marrying outside the US and filing for a CR-1?

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US   
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US 

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Plus the AOS fee for adjusting after marriage in the US is suppose to go up from $1225 to over $2000 

CR1 is way cheaper in the long run

1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

Plus the AOS fee for adjusting after marriage in the US is suppose to go up from $1225 to over $2000 

CR1 is way cheaper in the long run

I think all pay-for-service immigration fees are slated to increase though.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

This forum is very quick to say you don't need a lawyer, while knowing nothing of your case.  If you want one then I will try to answer your question.

You have a tough situation where it sounds like you wouldn't be able to meet your lawyer face to face, if the lawyer is in the US.  The phone always can work if you are comfortable enough with that option.  

To find a lawyer you should go to avvo.com and find a highly rated lawyer who specializes in immigration only.  I don't know that it matters what state.  Make sure they are "tech savvy" and are able to use email and file sharing apps like Dropbox because you will be exchanging a lot of documents.  You may have to pay for a phone consult, that's normal, but attorneys may roll that into their cost if you hire them.  Expect to pay $2000-$3000 to get you all the way through AOS.  Ask lots of questions before hiring.

Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well in the UK there are certainly Lawyers whose focus is US Immigration, I would assume there are in Germany as well.

Also wondering why the K1?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
21 hours ago, J+J said:

This forum is very quick to say you don't need a lawyer, while knowing nothing of your case. 

Regardless of the case, the thought that a lawyer makes things "easier" is a misconception. That's not how immigration works. Nothing in immigration is ever easy, or fast. If you have obstacles to overcome (previous denials, criminal records, issues with documents), then you will most likely NEED a lawyer for legal advice and instruction, but then again, this is about making the process viable, not "easy".

USCIS doesn't have a specific "line" for people with lawyers;

NVC doesn't have a specific "line" for people with lawyers;

Your process will end in the same pile as anyone else's, and will only move to a different pile if you have a reason to expedite.

Again, having a lawyer per se is NOT what makes the process easier, or faster. It might boost your confidence and make you believe that you are doing everything right (which is not always the case), it might provide you with legal advice if you're in a pickle, but other than that? Hard to see how a lawyer is needed for a K1, really.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I don't think anybody is saying that having a lawyer means the immigration process itself is easier or faster.  I'm certainly not saying that.

However you could argue that for the document gathering process and compiling the application, a knowledgeable attorney could help a not-so-knowledgeable applicant get that together faster and with a lower chance of errors (if the attorney is competent!).  Yes, of course you could DIY with help from this forum, as most do, but IMO a competent attorney would get you there faster, if you are just starting and know nothing.   

By the way I advocate the DIY approach, but this person is asking about attorneys so I figured I'd answer the question rather than just say "you don't need that".

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Most unusual for a Lawyer to handle a K1, would be down to their staff.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
On 1/8/2020 at 4:28 PM, Jorgedig said:

I think all pay-for-service immigration fees are slated to increase though.

not all

some will be decreased (not by much)

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/11/14/2019-24366/us-citizenship-and-immigration-services-fee-schedule-and-changes-to-certain-other-immigration

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.