InquimmwFraserYo

Can I use my Driver's License instead?

15 posts in this topic

I always carry my driver's license and a photocopy of my passport, marriage certificate and NOA1.

I've only been asked to show my passport, marriage certificate and NOA1 when dealing with government agencies.

I show my license to services, commodities and financial institutions when asked. 

Would you get in trouble if you don't have them? It's hard to say but I would err to the side of caution and just take at least copies of them with me. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by MarryMe987654

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Apr 23, 2024: CEAC website shows "Paid"

Apr 25, 2024: Uploaded Civil and Financial documents

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

1 hour ago, Béchameloo said:

After I have my driver's license issued, can I use it as my sole identification whenever being outside instead of carrying passport and NOA1 copy around? Would it be enough or could I get into trouble without my NOA?

The driver’s license is good for 99% of the time. One big exception is if you live in a border state ( especially the Southern border), where they routinely conduct roadside checks for undocumented immigrants, then you probably need something to prove your legal status in the US. Only the federal authorities will be interested in your immigration status. A regular cop pulling you over for speeding will almost never ask for anything immigration because mostly they have no idea what to ask for. Most people will only know or ever hear of the green card. You’ll lose them talking about NOA1 or EAD.

Long story short, the law puts the burden on you, as an alien, to always be able to prove your identity and your legal status in this country. On a practical level, I can only tell you what I have done. I’ve been in the US for 18 years, many of those years were in non-immigrant status (J1 and F1 as student, H1B as worker before I got my green card) and I never carried around the I-20 or the NOA1 or the I-94 or even my green card. To me, those are too valuable and hard to replace so the originals go straight to a bank deposit box. I carried copies on the old days and   photo of said document on my phone in the smart phone days.

The drivers license is not enough to prove legal presence in the US.  But it’s enough to prove you are old enough to purchase alcohol, etc. For matters where you need to prove your legal presence on the US, you will need the NOA1 also.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Better safe than sorry. Carry a COPY of your NOA1 and copy of your passport. It is highly unlikely you will ever need it. Should you though, you have the copy while your spouse can retrieve the original. If you live in a border state, as mentioned, keep the originals with you.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just have a question as to why you'd carry around the NOA1 and not the NOA2 (or copies)? I am not at that part in my immigration journey yet and I am curious.

Still we rise, here and now

2 hours ago, dledingham said:

I just have a question as to why you'd carry around the NOA1 and not the NOA2 (or copies)? I am not at that part in my immigration journey yet and I am curious.

Because NOA1 of the AOS journey means that you already filed to be a permanent legal resident and NOA1 proves that it was received by USCIS. 

If you came in on a K1 visa and is already past your 90 days, the NOA1 kind of gives you an 'authorized stay'.

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Apr 23, 2024: CEAC website shows "Paid"

Apr 25, 2024: Uploaded Civil and Financial documents

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

Timeline
On 12/16/2019 at 10:27 AM, MarryMe987654 said:

Because NOA1 of the AOS journey means that you already filed to be a permanent legal resident and NOA1 proves that it was received by USCIS. 

If you came in on a K1 visa and is already past your 90 days, the NOA1 kind of gives you an 'authorized stay'.

OHHHH I was thinking of NOA1 from the I-129F. Okay that makes sense. Thank you :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration discussion, from AOS family K1/K3 - as the topic is about ID.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On 12/18/2019 at 6:02 AM, dledingham said:

OHHHH I was thinking of NOA1 from the I-129F. Okay that makes sense. Thank you :D

Time to do some reading? :lol:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline
7 hours ago, Pitaya said:

Time to do some reading? :lol:

OH definitely. We are still waiting for our NOA2 for I-129F (which we filed in November 2020) so we are still so far away from AOS. We've not thought that far ahead yet, at least not THAT much! :D

Edited by dledingham
spelling mistake

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, dledingham said:

OH definitely. We are still waiting for our NOA2 for I-129F (which we filed in November 2020) so we are still so far away from AOS. We've not thought that far ahead yet, at least not THAT much! :D

November 2020 ??

Well, anyway....Good luck on your immigration journey, and Happy Holidays !!

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

On 12/15/2019 at 4:19 PM, Béchameloo said:

After I have my driver's license issued, can I use it as my sole identification whenever being outside instead of carrying passport and NOA1 copy around? Would it be enough or could I get into trouble without my NOA?

By law you are supposed to carry copy of your documents that can ensure your legal presence. you can have pictures of the documents on your phone.

duh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
On 12/15/2019 at 7:50 PM, JFH said:

US, you will need the NOA1 also.

That NOA1 is so weird. In theory it should help you but it has a box where it says in BIG letters that it doesn't grant any immigration benefit.... so I never carried that. Once I've got my EAD I got a DL and carried that. When I got my GC I made a color copy and put it in my wallet, but never have the real thing with me (even tho the law requires it) unless I am traveling out of state or country. It is just too valuable to lose it. It takes forever to replace it not even thinking about the price of it. Also printed out my A number, visa number, MSC numbers etc to a tiny bit of paper and put it in my wallet. I assume based on that somebody competent can look up my status based on those information.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 12/20/2019 at 1:18 PM, Pitaya said:

November 2020 ??

Well, anyway....Good luck on your immigration journey, and Happy Holidays !!

November 2019* whoops

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.