Mike2019

Should I married abroad or use a K1?

16 posts in this topic

Either one is possible to bring your child over. Just be warned, neither one will be complete before the birth.

The spousal visa will benefit your wife better in the long run.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Dependent on which fits best for you. I think @missileman has a pretty helpful comparison list of K1 vs CR1. As said, neither the K1 nor the CR1 will be complete before your child is born, but after your child is born you can file CRBA for your child to get their US passport

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
1 minute ago, Unlockable said:

Either one is possible to bring your child over. Just be warned, neither one will be complete before the birth.

The spousal visa will benefit your wife better in the long run.

thanks...

But how longer will be the CR1 vs K1? 

CR1 looks easier? 

What can of VISA should I consider for my child? I'm a citizen, so will he?

Any other advantage for CR1 beyond coming to US with residence and being cheaper?

Yes, your child will be a citizen. So if you plan accordingly, your child will receive its US passport. You will have to file CRBA (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/birth-abroad.html) after the child is born.

ETA: Other advantages of the spousal visa, your wife will be a permanent resident (PR) immediately upon entry to the US. Not like the K1 where she has to file for AOS which could take another 6 months. She can also work and travel immediately when she is a PR.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
Just now, Mike2019 said:

thanks...

But how longer will be the CR1 vs K1? 

CR1 looks easier? 

What can of VISA should I consider for my child? I'm a citizen, so will he?

Any other advantage for CR1 beyond coming to US with residence and being cheaper?

With a CR1, your wife will be able to work immediately, travel outside the US immediately, drive immediately, etc etc. With a K1 your wife will have to wait 6+ months to do any of that once she arrives in the US. If you meet the requirements to pass along citizenship to your child then yes your child will be too, and you will complete CRBA (consular report of birth abroad) for him

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

2 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

Yes, your child will be a citizen. So if you plan accordingly, your child will receive its US passport. You will have to file CRBA (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/birth-abroad.html) after the child is born.

Assuming OP meets the requirements to pass along citizenship.

*~*~*moved from “IR-1/CR-1 spouse visa progress reports” to “what visa do I need?” as OP is weighing up the options*~*~*

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike2019 said:

Fiancé is 2 months pregnant now, I'm not sure if I should married abroad or use K1? 

How to proceed to bring my child to US?

Thanks!

If you’ve been living in the US you need to apply for a CRBA and passport at the embassy after the baby is born.  Bring clear proof of living in the US for more than 5 years - home ownership, apartment leases, school records, old passports are usually strong proof.  Bring 20 years.  As much as you can gather.  

Getting married abroad is usually best for the immigrant because of the long wait period stuck in the US unable to drive or travel during AOS.  That part is up to you.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

How long have you been a US citizen and/or living in the US? More info would be needed to see if you can pass citizenship on to the unborn child. Regardless your fiancé wouldn’t be in the US for the birth. It seems like it’s best to just marry now and start the CR1 process. Do you have any difficulties traveling to Cuba (I am assuming you were born Cuban as Cuba doesn’t recognize US/Cuban citizenship and US citizens can’t travel for tourist purposes..)?

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

How long have you been a US citizen and/or living in the US?

5 years but It does not matter.... 

More info would be needed to see if you can pass citizenship on to the unborn child.

WHY?

Regardless your fiancé wouldn’t be in the US for the birth.

Yes, I'm realizing that.... 

It seems like it’s best to just marry now and start the CR1 process

Why? Could you please explain more?.

Do you have any difficulties traveling to Cuba

Nope

(I am assuming you were born Cuban as Cuba doesn’t recognize US/Cuban citizenship and US citizens can’t travel for tourist purposes.. )? Yes, I was born in Cuba.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike2019 said:

How long have you been a US citizen and/or living in the US?

5 years but It does not matter.... 

More info would be needed to see if you can pass citizenship on to the unborn child.

WHY?

seems like it’s best to just marry now and start the CR1 process

Why? Could you please explain more?.

It does matter. There are certain requirements needed in order to pass down US citizenship. For example if you became a US citizen last week then you haven’t been a citizen long enough to pass down. If you have been a US citizen for 5 years but you’ve spent 3 years abroad then you can’t pass down citizenship as well. Look up CRBA for info on passing down citizenship to a child born out of the US. 
if you marry and go the CR1 route your wife will have a greencard upon arrival to the US. She will be able to apply for a job ASAP as well and travel out of the country, if you go k1 it can be ~8 months before she is allowed to work or leave the country. The k1 will also be more expensive.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Adjustment of Status

EAD

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I would reiterate what others have said. I just went through it myself. 
I was the petitioner and the public charge was still on the table that would go into effect October 15(even if it’s tied up in litigation).
It is extremely stressful to keep your income well above the threshold(if the charge went into affect) with my household of four. 
Plus being off of work for two months. 
I am fortunate enough to be with a company for many years and had 2 months vacation time. 
We applied when I was about 4 weeks on K1 and he had to fly here and back than finish the K1 in London so either way, I don’t think the extra time for the CR1 will matter YMMV. 
He watches her during AoS so for us not a big deal to wait for work. 
However, healthcare bill in the US was roughly 20,000 for me and 9,000 for Hannah for a 3 night stay. I have good coverage and was lucky but you definitely want to check the cost here in the US first before rushing to get her here.
Sounds great in theory but is challenging on any home. 
If the child will be a US Citizen anyway and I were to do it again than I would have planned more appropriately without the stress and done a CR 1. 
While I do not want to have my daughter at daycare for the first year, it’s still very stressful on myself during AoS
good luck on your journey but I’d concur with the others as well. 

22 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

It does matter. There are certain requirements needed in order to pass down US citizenship. For example if you became a US citizen last week then you haven’t been a citizen long enough to pass down. If you have been a US citizen for 5 years but you’ve spent 3 years abroad then you can’t pass down citizenship as well. Look up CRBA for info on passing down citizenship to a child born out of the US. 
if you marry and go the CR1 route your wife will have a greencard upon arrival to the US. She will be able to apply for a job ASAP as well and travel out of the country, if you go k1 it can be ~8 months before she is allowed to work or leave the country. The k1 will also be more expensive.

This is false. As long as he is a USC before the child's birth or if the child is an LPR and in his physical custody he can pass citizenship.  How he passes citizenship may be in question but not the ability to do so. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
On 12/16/2019 at 3:56 PM, NikLR said:

This is false. As long as he is a USC before the child's birth or if the child is an LPR and in his physical custody he can pass citizenship.  How he passes citizenship may be in question but not the ability to do so. 

This isn't clear to me. It sounds like on one hand you are saying if he is a USC he can pass citizenship regardless. But then why would it matter "how" he passes it? There are certain residency requirements that the OP may not have met therefore unable to pass citizenship is my thought? 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Adjustment of Status

EAD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.