PWB

St. Lukes Testing Procedure (merged threads)

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 minutes ago, PWB said:

That sounds like the same thing my fiance(e) said.  Appears that others in her group will get tested.  Just got to wait and see what happens on the next visit at SLEC.  What do you mean about the dread call before the 8 weeks mark?  Before I purchased the tickets we went to an outside doctor knowing the results were not valid, those test revealed no problem, so I got a false sense of security.

The dreaded call.  IF SLEC calls early that normally means the culture is positive for TB.  Next on the list is 6 months of treatment, DOT.

Going to an outside clinic is a waste of time, even if you think it gives you peace of mind,  the x-ray machines at SLEC are light years superior to what you find at any of the clinics and the majority of hospitals.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

The dreaded call.  IF SLEC calls early that normally means the culture is positive for TB.  Next on the list is 6 months of treatment, DOT.

Going to an outside clinic is a waste of time, even if you think it gives you peace of mind,  the x-ray machines at SLEC are light years superior to what you find at any of the clinics and the majority of hospitals.

That is just crazy.  So if that person doesn't live in Manila, they would have to move?  I know my fiancee has a job and lives very far from Manila.  Most certainly she would get fired if she had to undergo a daily treatment for 6 months!   Finding another job for her is not easy and she needs the money for obvious reasons.

event.png

1 minute ago, apellica said:

That is just crazy.  So if that person doesn't live in Manila, they would have to move?  I know my fiancee has a job and lives very far from Manila.  Most certainly she would get fired if she had to undergo a daily treatment for 6 months!   Finding another job for her is not easy and she needs the money for obvious reasons.

At least temporarily, yes. Unfortunately, many others have abused the process by stopping treatment prematurely, leading to drug-resistant strains of TB. Or by paying off local doctors.

DOT by a CDC-approved facility (SLEC in this case) is the only option to ensure the treatment is actually taken and on the right schedule. Well, the other option is to be treated elsewhere then wait out another 1 year before SLEC will accept it. But that would be adding at least another 1.5 years to the process (6 months treatment - assuming no issues - then 12 month waiting period).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, PWB said:

You are most likely right about the 8 week period, she was pretty shaken up.

Understandable.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Timeline
12 minutes ago, geowrian said:

At least temporarily, yes. Unfortunately, many others have abused the process by stopping treatment prematurely, leading to drug-resistant strains of TB. Or by paying off local doctors.

DOT by a CDC-approved facility (SLEC in this case) is the only option to ensure the treatment is actually taken and on the right schedule. Well, the other option is to be treated elsewhere then wait out another 1 year before SLEC will accept it. But that would be adding at least another 1.5 years to the process (6 months treatment - assuming no issues - then 12 month waiting period).

This is very disturbing to us.  If she got detected with anything like TB, I really don't know what we would do.  Difficult life-changing decisions would need to be made and I think it would ultimately destroy her....

event.png

Timeline
5 hours ago, PWB said:

My fiance had her initial K1 Visa Medical Examination on December 4, 2019 and at the end of the first day she was told that 20% of applicants where required to undergo a 3 day Sputum Test  and was scheduled for the 10, 11, and 12th of December.  She was also told there there would

be a 12 week time period to develop a culture and the Embassy Interview will need to be rescheduled.  Trying to figure out what happened.   Is this random selection of 20% of the applicants indeed a fact or was something detected in the other testing.   Needless to say I am out a bunch of money on airlines tickets and other associated cost.

I underwent that same procedure at SLEC. There would be TB smear ( 3 days after the 3rd day of sputum test ), and then TB culture ( 8 weeks after that ). Most of the info is correct: pray that you would not get any call on that 8-week waiting period, otherwise your fiancée has to go to a 6-month DOT ( directly observed therapy ) and take her medication every single day at SLEC, in the presence of the health care professional. As I understand, it’s free. I know it’s frustrating, me and my then-fiancé ( now husband ) prayed everyday that we do not get that dreaded call. After 8 weeks and she’s clear, you can go right ahead and schedule your embassy interview. As daunting as it may be, TB is a killer, so we appreciate the fact that SLEC is doing its job in screening immigrants really well. You will get through this. Good luck on your journey 😊

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
46 minutes ago, apellica said:

That is about the jest of it ... temporary move for 6 months.   No options, DOT is Direct Observation Therapy     .. they will make sure you take the medication.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
34 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Surely if it transpires that she has TB, that would be pretty life-changing...and potentially life-ending if not treated. Remember, the six months treatment in Manila isn't for testing...it's after testing, if the diagnosis is confirmed positive...so surely if she has TB, it'd be worth changing her job and moving for, to not only get the visa and be reunited with you,  but also to get the treatment that may well save her life?

I agree with you, but it would take such an emotional toll as well as losing her job.  It would be just too much to take in for someone like my fiancee.  I understand how life-threatening it is, but it would be very difficult for her.

I pray everything turns out alright for her.....

Edited by apellica

event.png

1 hour ago, apellica said:

There is enough to worry about than losing your mind over something that hasn't happened yet. But, I understand. It has crossed all of our minds during this process. If your fiance does require the process you will have to decide if you can step up and help her. There are other options but they do add a considerable amount of time to the process as stated up thread.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

*~*~*location-specific question moved to Philippines regional forum*~*~* 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

My Fiance was scheduled for a sputum test after she told  ST. Lukes at her KI Visa physical  that she was treated for TB in 2004.  She supplied them with all documentation from the treatment and they would not accept it.   Even though she had a clear X-Ray and there was no other testing that indicated a problem she was scheduled for a culture and St. Lukes told her to cancel the Embassy Interview.   When she complained the doctor said that because of the contract with the Embassy they could not take a chance and had to validate her prior treatment. I understand that  you can get falsified medical records, but when the E-Ray is clean this seems to be an overreach by St. Lukes.   Just trying to understand.  I want the best for her, but was this necessary.  I am not alone with this situation others were scheduled for sputum testing  the same day as well. 

This is a procedure set by the CDC actually.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
3 minutes ago, bowens44 said:

That' how we felt too...until it happened. My fiancee (now wife)  got the dreaded call about 6 weeks into the process. She lived in Bacolod so we had to get her a studio appartment in Manila a couple of blocks from SLEC. Yes it was devasting to get the news but in a wierd way I think it made our relationship stronger, when I didn't walk away,  she Iknew I was in it for the long haul. We have been very happily married now for 4 years.  My point is that hopefully it won't happen but if it does you can through it.

Agree, her health is the bottom line and I am committed for the long run.  Going through this K1 process makes you put logic to the side and bring patience to the forefront.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.