JAC&MEH

K1 Visa 129-F Denial -- Next Steps?

122 posts in this topic

According to this legal site (it’s about wanting to live in the foreign country but this statement obviously stands regardless), “According to the Civil Law in Mexico, since October 2014 the judges of the Civil Registry may receive statements regarding the existence or cessation of a common-law marriage and issue a Certificate of Cohabitation.” If that is the case, surely it should be a fairly easy thing to do, and the local Mexican lawyer would be aware of that?

https://www.fredlaw.com/news__media/2015/11/11/1047/immigration_treatment_of_common-law_and_same-sex_marriage/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
43 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

According to this legal site (it’s about wanting to live in the foreign country but this statement obviously stands regardless), “According to the Civil Law in Mexico, since October 2014 the judges of the Civil Registry may receive statements regarding the existence or cessation of a common-law marriage and issue a Certificate of Cohabitation.” If that is the case, surely it should be a fairly easy thing to do, and the local Mexican lawyer would be aware of that?

https://www.fredlaw.com/news__media/2015/11/11/1047/immigration_treatment_of_common-law_and_same-sex_marriage/

Yes!  I have seen this too but all I can find related to it is a Certificate of Cohabitation.  I was unable to find a document that would officially show that the Cohabitation has officially ended (cessation).  You would think if there's one to show it's established, there has to be one that shows it has ended.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Villanelle said:

Lets back up a second. You posted the quote above and repeated it several times now. Am I reading this right? As part of your response to the RFE you sent a letter from a Mexican Attny stating very clearly that she was in a valid legally recognized common law marriage? And are wondering why they want a divorce decree? And this Mexican Attny provided you with a statement explaining how it was a valid common law marriage and advised you what? That a certificate of single was the answer? Im just trying to sort this all out. .. 

The lawyer just described in general the status of Concubinage.  She never mentioned it being "legally recognized."  The letter actually stated that though it was true that she was living in a common law marriage, she never contracted a marriage as evidenced by the Single Status Certificate.

Timeline

I got the letter and was actually impressed with the detail into which they explained their reasoning.  It is sound and I have no complaints whatsoever.  We were unable to establish her eligibility to marry and that's that.  They acknowledged the Single Status Certificate but said that it didn't matter because it was not "consistent with acceptable divorce documents for immigration purposes, as established by the United States Department of Foreign Affairs Manual."  As for others that have been lucky enough to get through the process using a Single Status Certificate to prove eligibility, those certificates must be recognized in the Foreign Affairs Manual for their specific country.  I looked it up and there is NO mention of a Single Status Certificate as acceptable documents from Mexico.

Bottom line, as many on here have already mentioned, I have to produce a divorce decree that formally establishes that she is no longer in this relationship, regardless what it is considered.  All I can do now, is wait to meet with my US and Mexican attorneys and see if there is any sort of document that will do this for us.  There is no need to appeal as we have to show we were eligible at the time we file.  IF we are lucky enough to obtain such a document sufficient to show she is no longer in this relationship, it would clearly be dated after the date of our filing.  We would just need to re-file for the K1 or go the whole CR1 route.  

I appreciate everyone's help and support.  Now I need to focus on documentation showing the termination of a common-law marriage in Mexico.  If ANYONE on this forum has experience with such matters, please drop me a line.

Thanks again!

1 minute ago, JAC&MEH said:

I got the letter and was actually impressed with the detail into which they explained their reasoning.  It is sound and I have no complaints whatsoever.  We were unable to establish her eligibility to marry and that's that.  They acknowledged the Single Status Certificate but said that it didn't matter because it was not "consistent with acceptable divorce documents for immigration purposes, as established by the United States Department of Foreign Affairs Manual."  As for others that have been lucky enough to get through the process using a Single Status Certificate to prove eligibility, those certificates must be recognized in the Foreign Affairs Manual for their specific country.  I looked it up and there is NO mention of a Single Status Certificate as acceptable documents from Mexico.

Bottom line, as many on here have already mentioned, I have to produce a divorce decree that formally establishes that she is no longer in this relationship, regardless what it is considered.  All I can do now, is wait to meet with my US and Mexican attorneys and see if there is any sort of document that will do this for us.  There is no need to appeal as we have to show we were eligible at the time we file.  IF we are lucky enough to obtain such a document sufficient to show she is no longer in this relationship, it would clearly be dated after the date of our filing.  We would just need to re-file for the K1 or go the whole CR1 route.  

I appreciate everyone's help and support.  Now I need to focus on documentation showing the termination of a common-law marriage in Mexico.  If ANYONE on this forum has experience with such matters, please drop me a line.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the update. Good luck. Don't be afraid to post again with future questions...hopefully they are more clerical in nature than this issue.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

Thanks for the update. Good luck. Don't be afraid to post again with future questions...hopefully they are more clerical in nature than this issue.

There was no hint of any claim of misrepresentation.  I could tell from the letter that they truly were doing everything they could to approve the petition.  They were only responding to the facts that they have before them.  After reading the letter, I am truly impressed.  They could have just said denied!  Go pound sand!  But they took the time to explain in specifics exactly what the problem was and why they came to the conclusion that they did.  I feel confident that if a Single Status Certificate was a document that they actually recognized from Mexico, they would have approved it.  It was pretty simple.  Prove to us she is eligible, and we will approve the petition.  I'm just hoping that I can find a way to get them the documentation they need.  We are fortunate that she is on good terms with her ex and that he has expressed his willingness to help.

4 minutes ago, JAC&MEH said:

There was no hint of any claim of misrepresentation.  I could tell from the letter that they truly were doing everything they could to approve the petition.  They were only responding to the facts that they have before them.  After reading the letter, I am truly impressed.  They could have just said denied!  Go pound sand!  But they took the time to explain in specifics exactly what the problem was and why they came to the conclusion that they did.  I feel confident that if a Single Status Certificate was a document that they actually recognized from Mexico, they would have approved it.  It was pretty simple.  Prove to us she is eligible, and we will approve the petition.  I'm just hoping that I can find a way to get them the documentation they need.  We are fortunate that she is on good terms with her ex and that he has expressed his willingness to help.

As noted previously, misrepresentation would not be raised at this stage. USCIS is only touching the petition. I'm not doubting that she won't have a misrep bar...just pointing out that even if she would have one, it would have absolutely no mention or bearing at this stage. Also, USCIS would not be the one to impose any such bar - it would only occur when she applied for the visa.

I'm glad the letter was detailed. They usually are fairly well specific in denials, but it sounds like they went even beyond that. Cool!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
On 11/7/2019 at 2:55 PM, payxibka said:

What was the RFE for?

No appeal, only thing to do is cure the ineligiblility and file again if that is the course you choose 

If she is successful in obtaining a divorce from her common-law spouse and we choose to re-file for a K1, do I need to officially request that my current petition be withdrawn or is that unnecessary since it has been denied?   Do you think we would be better off getting married down there and going the I-130 route?  The only reason we even opted for the K1 was that we wanted to be together ASAP. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

**Derailing post removed.**

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have never heard of anybody obtaining a divorce for a common law partner, anywhere,

Focus should be on her describing herself as married.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
22 hours ago, JAC&MEH said:

Yes;  I was thinking exactly the same.  I have just heard on here so many times where people who have been denied a K1, go ahead and get married and then go the I-130 route.  I will wait to read the letter but I am already researching to see if there is some way to obtain a legal divorce from a common-law spouse in Mexico.  That may be our last option - if we have any at all.  

Obtain the court document to show the date that her common law marriage ended. Have her and the guy sign it and have it certified by a judge. Then go there and just get married and then file the spousal visa.

Would it not be easier for you immigrate to Mexico? 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Does Mexico have "Registro Familiar" or "Libro Familiar?" I am wondering if you could get a notarized certificate signed by a judge that shows the dates of the cohabitation when it began and ended. 

If push comes to shove, is her ex still single? Could they marry and divorce that same day to generate the proper documentation that proves she is single? 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Evie_v said:

Does Mexico have "Registro Familiar" or "Libro Familiar?" I am wondering if you could get a notarized certificate signed by a judge that shows the dates of the cohabitation when it began and ended. 

If push comes to shove, is her ex still single? Could they marry and divorce that same day to generate the proper documentation that proves she is single? 

I have read somewhere (see previous post) that they have a certificate of cohabitation so I would assume they must have something to document the end of such a period. 

Yes;  her ex is still single and they are civil. He’s going to go see his attorney Monday to see what he can do to help.  There must be a way to obtain the necessary documents to prove her eligibility.  In the US, if you are in a common-law marriage, you have to go through a formal divorce just as if you were legally married.  It’s possible that they may be able to get an administrative divorce; not sure.  She is fortunate that he is willing to help.  

Timeline
1 hour ago, JAC&MEH said:

I have read somewhere (see previous post) that they have a certificate of cohabitation so I would assume they must have something to document the end of such a period. 

Yes;  her ex is still single and they are civil. He’s going to go see his attorney Monday to see what he can do to help.  There must be a way to obtain the necessary documents to prove her eligibility.  In the US, if you are in a common-law marriage, you have to go through a formal divorce just as if you were legally married.  It’s possible that they may be able to get an administrative divorce; not sure.  She is fortunate that he is willing to help.  

Check this link out:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjdx4jM7N3lAhVPtZ4KHVZvBpYQFjAAegQIABAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.registrocdmx.df.gob.mx%2Fstatics%2Fformatos%2FTCEJUR-DGRC_RAD_6.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1zNRZyievP5qVlZTSCUqhn

You'll have to run it through a translator unless you know Spanish but this may be the document that I am needing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.