Innocent devil

Visitor visa for parents

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Can anyone please guide me on below:

Im a green card holder. my parents are applying for visitor visa. My father has a job back in home country so he will show that job and own house and property as an intent to return back from US. But my mother is a housewife. What proofs can she show as an intent to return back from US?? Also they dnt have any more children in the home country nor any old people to care for. One of my sibling is in another country. Because what if they reject my mother visa and approved my father. Please help

@JFH @Boiler

@nastra30 @Going through

Edited by Innocent devil

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline
10 hours ago, Innocent devil said:

Ok thank you. Will they need my i94? Or just copy of green card will be enough? 

Been there done that. The officer will not look at that at all.

41 minutes ago, Innocent devil said:

Im a green card holder. my parents are applying for visitor visa. My father has a job back in home country so he will show that job and own house and property as an intent to return back from US. But my mother is a housewife. What proofs can she show as an intent to return back from US?? Also they dnt have any more children in the home country nor any old people to care for. One of my sibling is in another country. Because what if they reject my mother visa and approved my father. Please help

@JFH @Boiler

@nastra30 @Going through

Hello there,

I had been in your situation before. My mom had been denied twice for a tourist visa. The first one I am still greencard holder, the second one I already US citizen. Does any of them effect her interview? nope. Do they give her mercy because she already apply for 2 times? nope. Do they even look at the documents she prepared (house certificate, pension, birth certificates of my siblings that still back in home country, and so on)? nope.

By that said, your parents can be as prepare as as they could but it really depends on the officer whether to refuse or granted the tourist visa. Oh and another downside of this visa, you cannot appeal. 

There you go...$160x2 just fly away~

I do not want to scare you, but that is just reality. Tourist visa to the United States is the most random (and mean) visa that ever exist.

4/19/19: Sending Package to USCIS

5/8/19: NOA1 (USCIS received)

10/3/19: NOA2 (USCIS Approved)

10/10/19: Case sent to NVC

10/22/19: NVC received

11/14/19: Received invoice number and case number and pay AOS + IV bill

11/18/19: Completed DS-260

11/19/19: Submit AOS + IV package to NVC for review (hit the 7 months mark!)

11/21/19: All documents are accepted except tax transcripts. Re-upload it and now upload 1 year per document section.

01/22/20: Document Qualified. NVC send it over to embassy for obtaining interview date.

02/12/20: NVC completed the case. Now the status is in transit to US embassy (Jakarta-Indonesia)

03/05/20: Medical Exam

03/26/20: Interview date!💖 (canceled due to Covid-19 until further notice)

02/25/21: Embassy emailed that they resume IR5 visa

03/01/21: Another medical exam since the last one expired in September 2020

03/15/21: Interview date!🤩 Result: 221G because my mom forget the original doc for my dad's death decree + she needs to redone her photo

03/16/21: submit the necessary paperwork + photo

03/17/21: Status change to administrative processing

03/18/21: Status change to issued. Waiting for email from the embassy for pick up

03/20/21: VISA IS READY!

03/25/21: Fly to US

1 hour ago, Innocent devil said:

@JFH @Boiler

@nastra30 @Going through

Assuming your parents are still married, then I assume your father is a tie and supporting her (she lives with him in the house you mention?) so I would think if he gets approved then it is likely she will be approved with him.  Usually if one family member is approved and another isn’t, the denial will be someone like a young single person, not a spouse of the person being approved.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Presumably she has a share of the house property etc.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 hours ago, Mindo2019 said:

Been there done that. The officer will not look at that at all.

Hello there,

I had been in your situation before. My mom had been denied twice for a tourist visa. The first one I am still greencard holder, the second one I already US citizen. Does any of them effect her interview? nope. Do they give her mercy because she already apply for 2 times? nope. Do they even look at the documents she prepared (house certificate, pension, birth certificates of my siblings that still back in home country, and so on)? nope.

By that said, your parents can be as prepare as as they could but it really depends on the officer whether to refuse or granted the tourist visa. Oh and another downside of this visa, you cannot appeal. 

There you go...$160x2 just fly away~

I do not want to scare you, but that is just reality. Tourist visa to the United States is the most random (and mean) visa that ever exist.

Oh ohkay. Thats really scary to know that. Can only hope that we get a good officer.

Timeline
3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Assuming your parents are still married, then I assume your father is a tie and supporting her (she lives with him in the house you mention?) so I would think if he gets approved then it is likely she will be approved with him.  Usually if one family member is approved and another isn’t, the denial will be someone like a young single person, not a spouse of the person being approved.

Yes they are still married. And live in the same house. And my father is supporting. So they need to show marriage certificate to the officer to prove their marriage? Or no need for that?

3 hours ago, Boiler said:

Presumably she has a share of the house property etc.

No. Its owned by my father solely. 

Timeline

I heard visitor visa b2 can be granted for 1 month up to 10 years. Is it true? And what if my parents say that they want to stay in USA for 25 days and then come back, will they be granted a 1 month visa? Or should they say they want to stay for 5 months so that they get a 5 year visa?

10 minutes ago, Innocent devil said:

I heard visitor visa b2 can be granted for 1 month up to 10 years. Is it true? And what if my parents say that they want to stay in USA for 25 days and then come back, will they be granted a 1 month visa? Or should they say they want to stay for 5 months so that they get a 5 year visa?

For Pakastani nationals, the visa can be issued for up to 5 years (60 months). It can be single use or multiple use. The full term (5 years) and multi-use is most common.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Pakistan.html

Each individual duration of stay is dictated by their I-94 received at POE. This is often 6 months, but could be shorter.

They should state how long their particular stay will actually be. Spending too much time in the US is a quick way to be denied entry at POE and/or visa revoked. While a 5 month stay is allowed if they are granted a 6 month I-94, actually staying that long would likely raise questions the next time they try to visit unless there is a very considerable gap between visits. A general rule of thumb is to spend at least as much time outside the US as within it, with twice as much time outside the US being highly suggested.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

For Pakastani nationals, the visa can be issued for up to 5 years (60 months). It can be single use or multiple use. The full term (5 years) and multi-use is most common.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Pakistan.html

Each individual duration of stay is dictated by their I-94 received at POE. This is often 6 months, but could be shorter.

They should state how long their particular stay will actually be. Spending too much time in the US is a quick way to be denied entry at POE and/or visa revoked. While a 5 month stay is allowed if they are granted a 6 month I-94, actually staying that long would likely raise questions the next time they try to visit unless there is a very considerable gap between visits. A general rule of thumb is to spend at least as much time outside the US as within it, with twice as much time outside the US being highly suggested.

Ok thank you for your reply. Also can you please confirm, while scheduling an interview appointment for my parents; should i schedule one appointment of my father and add my mother as a dependent who will be traveling with him? Or do i need to book 2 separate appointments?

And if 2 separate appointments than will they be interviewed on a single window together or separately? 

1 hour ago, Innocent devil said:

They shouldn’t say what they think the officer wants to hear or what they think will be a good chance of success. They should tell the truth. Even a small lie can be a big problem when it’s a visa interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Innocent devil said:

So they need to show marriage certificate to the officer to prove their marriage? Or no need for that?

Marriage certificate not needed.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

2 hours ago, Innocent devil said:

You are starting to sound really desperate to get them into the US. And desperation will only make it even more likely they will be denied.

They say the truth. It's really simple. Fill out form online, go to interview, answer questions. So simple.

Timeline
44 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

They shouldn’t say what they think the officer wants to hear or what they think will be a good chance of success. They should tell the truth. Even a small lie can be a big problem when it’s a visa interview.

Ok thank you

33 minutes ago, Going through said:

Marriage certificate not needed.

Ok thank you

21 minutes ago, ElDiablo said:

You are starting to sound really desperate to get them into the US. And desperation will only make it even more likely they will be denied.

They say the truth. It's really simple. Fill out form online, go to interview, answer questions. So simple.

Ok thank you

Timeline

can anyone please confirm, while scheduling an interview appointment for my parents; should i schedule one appointment of my father and add my mother as a dependent who will be traveling with him? Or do i need to book 2 separate appointments?

And if 2 separate appointments than will they be interviewed on a single window together or separately.

@Going through @Mindo2019 @geowrian @SusieQQQ @ElDiablo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.