jaguar89

BONIFIDE MARRIAGE- EVIDENCES - B1/B2

72 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Soon To Be Mrs. T said:

Can someone please enlighten me how getting married while on a B-1/B-2 Visa would work? Like, what kind of circumstances?

It just seems a little far-fetched to me that someone who got married while visiting did not have any intention of getting married at all.

I also thought that when someone gets married while on a B-1/B-2 Visa, they have to go back to their country and then apply for a Spouse Visa.

We got married using visa waver... we knew we would be getting married during that visit too (our sevent)... but there was never any intent on staying and I didn’t..... K1 didn’t seem a good choice for us, I think I’d go nuts not working and sitting home for months, hence our going CR1 after returning to home country... 

im not really sure about the whole B2 AOS... yes I know it’s “legal” but I’m with you.. unless you’ve had some wild night in Vegas and got married off the cuff, I don’t see how it’s not preemptive, very hard to know your not going to get married while on vacation.. also, I thought there had to be a valid reason / circumstances to Adjust... not just oh I changed my mind about going home so we got married Or we got married so I don’t wanna go home kind of thing.. but apparently not.. 

Oh well, I wish them luck I guess, hope they don’t end up regretting their decisions.. 

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

im not really sure about the whole B2 AOS... yes I know it’s “legal” but I’m with you.. unless you’ve had some wild night in Vegas and got married off the cuff, I don’t see how it’s not preemptive, very hard to know your not going to get married while on vacation.. also, I thought there had to be a valid reason / circumstances to Adjust... not just oh I changed my mind about going home so we got married Or we got married so I don’t wanna go home kind of thing.. but apparently not.. 

Exactly! Now, I'm curious as to how those who did the Adjustment of Status from a Tourist Visa did it--it just seems pretty impossible to prove that one didn't intend to get married.

The only scenario that I could think of is if one gets pregnant and isn't able to go back their home country (to apply for a Fiancé/Spouse Visa) because they will be persecuted.

Oh well, I wish them luck I guess, hope they don’t end up regretting their decisions.. 

Ditto!

Edited by Soon To Be Mrs. T

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Soon To Be Mrs. T said:

Can someone please enlighten me how getting married while on a B-1/B-2 Visa would work? Like, what kind of circumstances?

It just seems a little far-fetched to me that someone who got married while visiting did not have any intention of getting married at all.

I also thought that when someone gets married while on a B-1/B-2 Visa, they have to go back to their country and then apply for a Spouse Visa.

A lot of people get approved adjusting status from B visas, as long as their intention wasn't to stay. Remember that intention is determined at POE. OP has enough ties to their home country to have a B Visa. I have read numerous times on this forum where people ended up getting married in the US, selling their houses, leaving their jobs back home, having entered the US with genuine intention to leave. The POE officer already determined that OP wasn't going to stay, as long as they were honest and everything adds up they will be fine.

Me personally, I couldn't leave my job etc so I went the K1 route, but I can see how someone else's circumstances may change. Someone else might feel the need to stay, hence the AOS option is available.

K1 Visa Timeline [Approved]

Spoiler

07/23/2018    I-129F sent

07/25/2018    NOA1 email notification

07/30/2018    NOA1 hard copy

12/21/2018    NOA2 hard copy

01/10/2019    NVC Case # assigned

01/22/2019    Left NVC

01/29/2019    Embassy received

01/29/2019    Pkt 3 sent

02/01/2019    Pkt 4 received

02/13/2019    Medical

03/00/2019    Interview approved!

04/01/2019    Visa issued

04/02/2019    Visa received in mail

04/06/2019    POE

05/04/2019    Wedding

Adjustment Of Status Timeline [Approved]

Spoiler

05/31/2019    I-485, I-131 and I-765 sent

06/10/2019    NOA1 (electronic) & check cashed

06/11/2019    NOA1 hard copies

07/05/2019    Biometrics walk-in

09/30/2019    Interview scheduled (electronic notification)

10/23/2019    EAD/AP approved

11/00/2019    AOS Interview approved!

11/08/2019    Green card is being produced

11/16/2019    Green card in hand

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Ethan & Shannon said:

Remember that intention is determined at POE. OP has enough ties to their home country to have a B Visa.

I guess that makes sense. I was thinking that they also had to prove that they didn't have any intention of getting married during the Adjustment of Status. However, if it is only at the Embassy/Consulate and at the Point of Entry, it is more plausible.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

This is one from yesterday.  
Marriage from B visa involves entering, marrying, then filing the petition with AOS/AP/EAD with one package.  Once the package is filed the immigrant stays in the US until he/she is approved.

It’s highly scrutinized, the couple above got slapped with a Stokes interview which seems to not have gone so well.  

It’s a risky process because its a difference between what you said at POE when you arrived and what you actually did.  

We generally advise not to do it because if there is some small discrepancy found then the dominos start falling and in addition to starting over the immigrant has accrued overstay and possibly a misrep.  

Seen a lot of these cases go bad.  There’s no help here if they do.  

Wish these two best of luck.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

You have known your spouse for 1 year and 6 months at least... Then you got to the USA on a B1/B2 and got married? You cannot adjust in the USA, you will go through consular application. You will have to go back before your I-94 expires... If you decide to stay and attempt adjustment your fraud will be found out because you knew your present spouse before you arrived the USA. Adjustment in the USA is a very Grey area that the government is working hard to close... It is reserved for people that arrived USA on B1/B2.... 'Met someone in the states' that is the key word and then married after 90days...if you marry before 90 days you can still be accused of fraud. The evidence you presently gathering will work against you because it proves you knew your spouse before you arrived the USA. 

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Sparkle Sparkle said:

You have known your spouse for 1 year and 6 months at least... Then you got to the USA on a B1/B2 and got married? You cannot adjust in the USA, you will go through consular application. You will have to go back before your I-94 expires... If you decide to stay and attempt adjustment your fraud will be found out because you knew your present spouse before you arrived the USA. Adjustment in the USA is a very Grey area that the government is working hard to close... It is reserved for people that arrived USA on B1/B2.... 'Met someone in the states' that is the key word and then married after 90days...if you marry before 90 days you can still be accused of fraud. The evidence you presently gathering will work against you because it proves you knew your spouse before you arrived the USA. 

Oh brother.  More misinformation from you.  

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Sparkle Sparkle said:

You should also watch this video from youtube

Timeline

There are rules that don't make sense.   Welcome to US immigration laws which is made up by various people and they don't make sense. 

First, it's immigration fraud to use a non-immigrant visa to enter the US with the intent to adjust status.

Second, intent is assessed at the POE.

Third, for an Immediate Relative of a USC, intent can not be a reason to deny the AOS as long as the beneficiary did not lie at the POE.  This is the loophole.  Google Matter of Battista and Matter of Cavazos.

The OP is in the US, passed the POE, and is adjusting status as an IR of a USC.  Get off their backs.  If you don't like the laws, then go get Congress to change them.  Don't scaremonger people because you don't like what they are doing when it's legal.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline
2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Oh brother.  More misinformation from you.  

My intention is not to misinform but to share information I found or learnt from another source...or my own experience

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Sparkle Sparkle said:

You should also watch this video from youtube

You should Google Matter of Battista and Matter of Cavazos.  

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline
2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

You should Google Matter of Bautista and Matter of Cavazos.  

Please educate me am always willing to learn

Timeline
1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

We generally advise not to do it because if there is some small discrepancy found then the dominos start falling and in addition to starting over the immigrant has accrued overstay and possibly a misrep.  

Seen a lot of these cases go bad.  There’s no help here if they do.  

If the Adjustment of Status doesn't pan out, do they have another recourse? i.e. Can they apply for a Spouse Visa?

Or would the possible overstay and/or misrepresentation render them ineligible?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Soon To Be Mrs. T said:

If the Adjustment of Status doesn't pan out, do they have another recourse? i.e. Apply for a Spouse Visa?

Or would the possible overstay and/or misrepresentation render them ineligible?

They can adjust status, it's not a problem.  Google Matter of Battista and Matter of Cavazos.  

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

https://www.hooyou.com/familybased/exceptions.html

As illustrated above, the immediate relatives of United States citizens are afforded certain advantages under immigration law. Whereas most aliens who come to the United States and wish to apply for an adjustment of status or change of status are subject to the 30/60-day rule, immediate relatives of US citizens are exempted from the burden of having to prove that they did not have a preconceived intent to immigrate.

Author: Cameron Allison (cameron.allison@hooyou.com)

Edited by aaron2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.