Jump to content
aabd1987

Sponsor needs to be a relative?

20 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My I-130 just got accepted and I will soon begin NVC stage, as soon as they notify me.  I just heard that Trump has a newly effective or soon to be effective rule that the sponsor must be a direct relative of the beneficiary.  I was going to ask a friend to sponsor my husband.  Has anyone heard any truth to this rule????  Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, aabd1987 said:

My I-130 just got accepted and I will soon begin NVC stage, as soon as they notify me.  I just heard that Trump has a newly effective or soon to be effective rule that the sponsor must be a direct relative of the beneficiary.  I was going to ask a friend to sponsor my husband.  Has anyone heard any truth to this rule????  Thanks in advance!

I assume by 'sponsor' you mean joint sponsor, rather than petitioner?

 

1) Trump does not set immigration policy.  I have not heard of any executive order to this effect.

 

2) Consular staff can and do look at the relationship between the joint sponsor and the beneficiary, and have the discretion to question it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

I assume by 'sponsor' you mean joint sponsor, rather than petitioner?

 

1) Trump does not set immigration policy.  I have not heard of any executive order to this effect.

 

2) Consular staff can and do look at the relationship between the joint sponsor and the beneficiary, and have the discretion to question it.

Hi!  Yes, I did mean joint sponsor :)

Ok thanks, I hope not.  

Do you think there would be a problem if a friend sponsored instead of a relative or employer?  

Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aabd1987 said:

Hi!  Yes, I did mean joint sponsor :)

Ok thanks, I hope not.  

Do you think there would be a problem if a friend sponsored instead of a relative or employer?  

Thanks! 

Employer ?


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, aabd1987 said:

prospective employer for some people but that's not the case for me.  

An employer (i.e.  a corporate entity) is neither a  USC or LPR


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aabd1987 said:

My I-130 just got accepted and I will soon begin NVC stage, as soon as they notify me.  I just heard that Trump has a newly effective or soon to be effective rule that the sponsor must be a direct relative of the beneficiary.  I was going to ask a friend to sponsor my husband.  Has anyone heard any truth to this rule????  Thanks in advance!

From the I-864 instructions:

 

What is a Joint Sponsor? If the person who is seeking the immigration of one or more of his or her relatives cannot meet the income requirements, a joint sponsor who can meet the requirements may submit Form I-864 to sponsor all or some of the family members. A joint sponsor can be any U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, or U.S. national who is at least 18 years of age, domiciled in the United States, or its territories or possessions, and willing to be held jointly liable with the petitioner for the support of the intending immigrant. A joint sponsor does not have to be related to the petitioning sponsor or the intending immigrant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carmel34 said:

From the I-864 instructions:

 

What is a Joint Sponsor? If the person who is seeking the immigration of one or more of his or her relatives cannot meet the income requirements, a joint sponsor who can meet the requirements may submit Form I-864 to sponsor all or some of the family members. A joint sponsor can be any U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, or U.S. national who is at least 18 years of age, domiciled in the United States, or its territories or possessions, and willing to be held jointly liable with the petitioner for the support of the intending immigrant. A joint sponsor does not have to be related to the petitioning sponsor or the intending immigrant.

Thanks!  I guess what I heard is just a rumor :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, aabd1987 said:

Oh!  I thought they could!  Thanks for clarifying :)

To clarify further, an individual USC/LPR who happens to be an "employer" can, but not a company itself.  It has to be an individual person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not heard anything of this nature. Our joint sponsor was our niece’s husband. The only question I was asked at the embassy is how I at 42 years of age (as I was at time of interview) could have a niece who has 6 children. This followed a discussion of the family tree. 


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Must be a good friend to sponsor..not many would I don't think... i presume your friend understands the commitment involved.

Yes she's a close friend from childhood.  She knows about the commitment and has sponsored other people in the past.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my Facebook group many have said they went into administrative processing needing to find a new cosponsor because the one they had wasnt a relative.   It's something they are doing. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...