Thefiance

Court Marriage in Houston with K1 visa

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

so I received my K1 visa and am planning to fly to the US soon. My question is .. has anyone had a court marriage done in Texas? The website I was looking at states that both applicants need to have a valid US ID and SSN number .. has anyone done a court marriage and encountered any issues while doing so?

hope to hear from you guys

It is normal for a state to require those things to establish identity.

I did not have either when I got married in SC, so I had to provide my British Passport and a letter from SSA that I was not entitled to be issued an SSN as an alien.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, civilservant said:

It is normal for a state to require those things to establish identity.

I did not have either when I got married in SC, so I had to provide my British Passport and a letter from SSA that I was not entitled to be issued an SSN as an alien.

Ok great. Does it take a while to get the letter from SSA ?

I had it in my hand when I walked out of the Office. We were there maybe an hour.

YMMV - like I said this was SC, not TX. Different State, different rules.

Edited by civilservant

Timeline
Just now, civilservant said:

I had it in my hand when I walked out of the Office. We where there maybe an hour.

YMMV - like I had this was SC, not TX. Different State, different rules.

Ok will inquire further.thanks for the help

1 hour ago, Thefiance said:

Hi,

so I received my K1 visa and am planning to fly to the US soon. My question is .. has anyone had a court marriage done in Texas? The website I was looking at states that both applicants need to have a valid US ID and SSN number .. has anyone done a court marriage and encountered any issues while doing so?

I got my marriage license in Houston, Harris County.

You do not need a US ID or SSN, your International Passport is sufficient identification no other document or letter is required.....of course your US Fiance will have a valid ID and SSN.

If you do not want to wait for 72hrs to get married after getting the license, you can get a waiver from a judge immediately you get your marriage license and get married same day.

Process was easy, fast and straight forward. No issues at all.

Edited by Rayson

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Rayson said:

I got my marriage license in Houston, Harris County.

You do not need a US ID or SSN, your International Passport is sufficient identification no other document or letter is required.....of course your US Fiance will have a valid ID and SSN.

If you do not want to wait for 72hrs to get married after getting the license, you can get a waiver from a judge immediately you get your marriage license and get married same day.

Process was easy, fast and straight forward. No issues at all.

Thank you. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, from K1 P&P - The OP is asking about getting married.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

15 hours ago, Thefiance said:

Hi,

We got married in Fort Worth you do not need a SSN only the sponsor must know his or hers. You can not request a wavier unless you take a marriage class otherwise you have to wait 72 hours after the license is issued. The good news is you can get the certificate on the spot. Our judge walked over our license and handed it over to the clerk who proceeded to register it. We ordered our extra copies at that time (it's cheaper if you get them the first visit). Within 15 minutes we had our certificate and the certified copies!!!! Marriage license is the same as the certificate only after you are officially married.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

We got married in Fort Worth you do not need a SSN only the sponsor must know his or hers. You can not request a wavier unless you take a marriage class otherwise you have to wait 72 hours after the license is issued. The good news is you can get the certificate on the spot. Our judge walked over our license and handed it over to the clerk who proceeded to register it. We ordered our extra copies at that time (it's cheaper if you get them the first visit). Within 15 minutes we had our certificate and the certified copies!!!! Marriage license is the same as the certificate only after you are officially married.

Ok thank you. Since you are from Texas.. can I ask you? Is it true you have to wait for the Work permit before applying for a drivers license?  And do international drivers licenses from India work in the US?

Edited by Thefiance

I got married in the court house in Santa Ana, CA. All we used was our passports! 

Our Visa Journey:

2 April 2018: Married in Santa Ana, California 💒

6 June 2019: Birth of our daughter 👶👨‍👩‍👧

14 October 2019: Sent I-130 package via AusPost 📮 

18 October 2019: NOA1 received - sent to Texas Service Centre :D

24 October 2019: USCIS processed filing fee 🤑 waiting game 🕰️

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

19 May 2020: Immigrant visa Fees PROCESSED; affidavit of support fee PROCESSED 

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

27 June 2020: Expedite request submitted 🤞

7 July 2020: Expedite request APPROVED! 😃😭

15 July 2020: Email received advising of interview date and time. 
20 July 2020: Medical i: n Melbourne CBD 🏥     
28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

31 July 2020: uploaded joint sponsor to NVC, emailed consulate 

5 August 2020: emailed received advising they have received the joint sponsor 

7 August 2020: case i0n “administrative processing” 🤞

10 August 2020: visa ISSUED 😭 

12 August 2020: passport and visa in hand!

2 hours ago, Thefiance said:

Ok thank you. Since you are from Texas.. can I ask you? Is it true you have to wait for the Work permit before applying for a drivers license?  And do international drivers licenses from India work in the US?

International  is good for 90 days. Driver license issue  is a big hassle some offices will issue  you without EAD on just ur unexpired  I94 others won't.  Generally you have to wait ur EAD or GC. My office would not issue until EAD however  they would issue on the I94 but only until it expired. So not worth the  hassle. We are waiting the EAD or GC. Not a big deal for us to wait.  I do realize some  couples it's a big deal.

Edited by Sarge2155

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
23 hours ago, Thefiance said:

Hi,

I live in Houston and my fiancé came a few months ago. We went to the Social Security Office about a week after he got here. You will need the I-94, birth certificate, and passport with Visa in it. They told him they needed to verify something in the system and we would get a letter in the mail. The Social Security card came about 2 weeks later. Then we used his SSN and passport to get the marriage license. Hope this helps

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
On 10/31/2019 at 10:30 AM, Thefiance said:

Hi,

We got married in Texas at a courthouse without the SSN and used her passport.Then we applied for the SSN and got it 4 weeks later.No problems yet.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.