29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I've been reading around about other's experiences with the green card interview. Ours is coming up and there are some pretty consistent things I'm seeing that people bring but we don't have and I'm a bit worried.

We don't yet have her SSN.

We rent our house from friends and never had a written agreement of any kind.

We don't have joint bank accounts yet due to them insisting she have an SSN.

And we haven't yet bothered to buy phone service given she can't work yet and is always home with wifi anyway. 

What else could I use for proof of living together? Not having these is worrying us a bit. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Is there a reason she doesn't have a SSN yet? That's a very important part of this whole process.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Techniix said:

Hello everyone,

I've been reading around about other's experiences with the green card interview. Ours is coming up and there are some pretty consistent things I'm seeing that people bring but we don't have and I'm a bit worried.

And we haven't yet bothered to buy phone service given she can't work yet and is always home with wifi anyway. 

What else could I use for proof of living together? Not having these is worrying us a bit. 

Since our interview is soon too I might suggest you to try to make a joint account at Western Security Bank or Wells Fargo . I did not have SSN at the time we opened our accounts and they asked only for my passport. 
Also, I suggest to ask your friend to write a statement that you rent from him and notarize the statement. Ask some friends for affidavits that you are real couple ( also

notarized) .You may have health , life , vehicle insurance with both names . Also letters from your / her family , joint membership in Sams club or Costco or maybe a gym . 
That is something I can think of . The other members will add more . 
I wish you good luck ! 😃

Edited by RedroseMT

Timeline
1 minute ago, Scandi said:

Is there a reason she doesn't have a SSN yet? That's a very important part of this whole process.

We went to the SSA office twice before her I-94 expired. The first time things seemed to go fine and we waited for her SSN in the mail but it never came. By the time it was suspicious we were already married and went back to the SSA office. They said the system would not allow them to enter her in via her new married name. Something about needing to wait 2 weeks while they send out some kind of inquiry. We couldn't wait for that so we went ahead and submitted the AOS package based on other posts here on VJ saying it was fine we didn't have the SSN yet as the work authorization step would take care of this. Have we made a serious mistake?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Scandi said:

I think that processing times are longer . I got my SSN last week and have interview this week . Have waited 6 months . Well I am adjusting from B2 . 

25 minutes ago, Techniix said:

Why? You can take the EAD back and they can issue SSN based on that. It’s not a mistake, but it just makes things easier

Have the friend draft a lease with both your name and you both sign it. 

There are banks that allow you to open one without SSN. For example F-1 students if they don’t work they don’t have SSN but they can open a checking account. Find a bank near a college campus, they’ll know how to do that.

Ah ha, so you have wifi that means you pay an internet bill, an electric bill and (hopefully) a water bill. Add her to those. 

What else could I use for proof of living together?

Tax returns. What about insurance? Do you have life insurance? It’s dirt cheap. I took a policy for my wife and it’s $200/ year for $500,000 policy. Take one for each of you with the other one as beneficiary. It’s good planning, not just for immigration but for life in general.

Basically, the more evidence you have on financial commingling and cohabitation the better 

Edited by USS_Voyager

Timeline
19 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Why? You can take the EAD back and they can issue SSN based on that. It’s not a mistake, but it just makes things easier

Have the friend draft a lease with both your name and you both sign it. 

There are banks that allow you to open one without SSN. For example F-1 students if they don’t work they don’t have SSN but they can open a checking account. Find a bank near a college campus, they’ll know how to do that.

Ah ha, so you have wifi that means you pay an internet bill, an electric bill and (hopefully) a water bill. Add her to those. 

Tax returns. What about insurance? Do you have life insurance? It’s dirt cheap. I took a policy for my wife and it’s $200/ year for $500,000 policy. Take one for each of you with the other one as beneficiary. It’s good planning, not just for immigration but for life in general.

Basically, the more evidence you have on financial commingling and cohabitation the better 

Her EAD is still processing. We don't yet have the SSN. We were waiting for the EAD for that. 

Timeline
Just now, USS_Voyager said:

What about the other stuff?

We will have no problem getting affidavits from friends in regard to our living situation or as statements for a bona-fide marriage for sure. I will look for a bank that will allow us a joint account. I'll add her to my accounts so that her name appears there. I've been reading online since your last past and feel a bit more confident that I will still have plenty of evidence. There are others who completed their interview without a SSN due to still pending EAD and this did not affect their approval. So I feel better in knowing that. 

5 minutes ago, Techniix said:

We will have no problem getting affidavits from friends in regard to our living situation or as statements for a bona-fide marriage for sure. I will look for a bank that will allow us a joint account. I'll add her to my accounts so that her name appears there. I've been reading online since your last past and feel a bit more confident that I will still have plenty of evidence. There are others who completed their interview without a SSN due to still pending EAD and this did not affect their approval. So I feel better in knowing that. 

Affidavits from friends are the weakest of the evidence mentioned in this thread.  No one ever writes a negative one, and USCIS knows that.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Affidavits from friends are the weakest of the evidence mentioned in this thread.  No one ever writes a negative one, and USCIS knows that.

I will also have bill statements with her name, and mail she has received here. I'm sure that will help. 

32 minutes ago, Techniix said:

I will also have bill statements with her name, and mail she has received here. I'm sure that will help. 

Should be fine.

11 hours ago, Techniix said:

We went to the SSA office twice before her I-94 expired. The first time things seemed to go fine and we waited for her SSN in the mail but it never came. By the time it was suspicious we were already married and went back to the SSA office. They said the system would not allow them to enter her in via her new married name. You dont apply in the married name. You keep your mouth zipped and apply in the maiden name always. Something about needing to wait 2 weeks while they send out some kind of inquiry. We couldn't wait for that so we went ahead and submitted the AOS package based on other posts here on VJ saying it was fine we didn't have the SSN yet as the work authorization step would take care of this. Have we made a serious mistake?

LOTS of posts here on the topic but too late now for you.

***Im posting this for others who do research and find this post.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
13 hours ago, Techniix said:

Hello everyone,

I still don’t have my SSN number yet and was interviewed yesterday, it was no issue at all. 

I was able to open a joint bank account with my husband in Bank of America-it was the only bank that would do it for us where we live. It was a pretty easy process with them, they needed my passport, our marriage licence and proof of address. 

Do you have health/car insurance you can add her on too? Have you taken any trips together since she’s been here than have both your names on it? We included flight receipts with both our names on it and they were accepted 

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Loo1 said:

I still don’t have my SSN number yet and was interviewed yesterday, it was no issue at all. 

I was able to open a joint bank account with my husband in Bank of America-it was the only bank that would do it for us where we live. It was a pretty easy process with them, they needed my passport, our marriage licence and proof of address. 

Do you have health/car insurance you can add her on too? Have you taken any trips together since she’s been here than have both your names on it? We included flight receipts with both our names on it and they were accepted 

Hello, what were the questions they asked you 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.