msohyun

Next steps after coming to U.S.

18 posts in this topic

Hello all,

The visa on my passport will expire on December 12, so I will probably go to U.S. maybe December 1. 

Anyways, I am wondering what are next steps after I arrive there. When do I get the green card? When do I get the SSN? Is my husband's employer able to give me health care insurance even I don't have SSN?

Thanks all

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, msohyun said:

Hello all,

The visa on my passport will expire on December 12, so I will probably go to U.S. maybe December 1. 

Anyways, I am wondering what are next steps after I arrive there. When do I get the green card? When do I get the SSN? Is my husband's employer able to give me health care insurance even I don't have SSN?

Thanks all

Did the Immigration fee get paid?   If yes, then it will arrive in a few weeks after clearing POE, same for the SS card

https://my.uscis.gov/uscis-immigrant-fee/

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband entered the US on a CR-1 visa on August 19 of this year, and received his SS card one week later.  He checked the SS card box on the DS-260.  He's still waiting for his green card two months later...  The stamped CR-1 visa showing US entry serves as a green card for one year.  USCIS says it can take up to four months to receive the green card, but fortunately you don't need it since the stamped visa is sufficient for a year, although in some offices (DMV for driver's license, bank for a new account), you sometimes have to explain to them that the stamped visa is equivalent to a green card.  A spouse can be added to health insurance in the US without a SSN, all that is needed is a marriage certificate, a name, and a date of birth.  I added my husband to my health insurance last year while he was still in Brazil when I returned to the US without him a week after our Brazilian marriage and started the I-130 petition.  Check with the company HR department or the health insurance company.  Good luck with your new life in the US!

Edited by carmel34

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Firstly try to get the SSN part straighten out ASAP, K1's are crazy with some month delay. Do this before getting married.

And yes, health insurance can be received without SSN. Credit cards as well, some differs. Bank does not let you get an account without a SSN though.

Here is a quick link to go over the whole K1 Visa process. Please review it carefully. This is your important stuff. https://www.visajourney.com/k1-fiance-visa/

Link to SS information: https://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn/

Something else you may want to look at: 

@ Mods I noticed this thread is posted in CR-1 but instead is a K1.

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The SSN may be sent out within 2 weeks of being in the US if the option to automatically receive it is marked on the DS260. For some, like me, they had to go to the nearest SSA office to put in an application even though that option was chosen on the ds260. That is after waiting to receive it. It was received by me after 1 week of applying.

Green card takes a bit of time; some have been lucky to receive it within 3 weeks, while others like me, are still waiting. Been in the US since Sept 11, payment made since August 31st. That's not a cause for concern just yet since the Visa as endorsed by the CBP serves as the Green Card for one year. 

Good luck on your journey to the US. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
18 hours ago, msohyun said:

Hello all,

Thanks all

Welcome, so now the ssn you need to visit  the nearest office  and apply for it with you passport and stamped visa is all you need there  after that you should receive it in few weeks maybe less, now the GC  is 

taking more time in my case,  I've arrived on July 4th and had paid the fee on Jun 25th and so far no GC so  that's story until now good luck.

*~*~*moved from “IR-1/CR-1 process and procedures” to “moving to the USA”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Avoid voter registration.  As we get closer to election time, you will encounter people registering people to vote at the grocery store, library, etc.,and many are eager to get as many registrations as possible and will mistakenly think Green Card holders can register.  Same with getting a driver license.  Make sure you don’t mistakenly register to vote.  They treat it as a fraudulent claim to citizenship.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline
16 hours ago, bakphx1 said:

Avoid voter registration.  As we get closer to election time, you will encounter people registering people to vote at the grocery store, library, etc.,and many are eager to get as many registrations as possible and will mistakenly think Green Card holders can register.  Same with getting a driver license.  Make sure you don’t mistakenly register to vote.  They treat it as a fraudulent claim to citizenship.

This. Million of peoples do not know any better yet falsely claim to trap people into trouble without knowing. They still do not know, even the newspapers will not publish the difference because they still don't know (well, not mine locally because they are too afraid).

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
6 hours ago, WaterLeaf said:

This. Million of peoples do not know any better yet falsely claim to trap people into trouble without knowing. They still do not know, even the newspapers will not publish the difference because they still don't know (well, not mine locally because they are too afraid).

Yes it’s so sad.  Most of the time they are given bad advice in the spot that can become serious for something just asking for their name address.

On 10/24/2019 at 1:24 AM, bakphx1 said:

This is totally correct..... I saw a case like this on Reddit a couple weeks ago. The immigrant mistakenly registered to vote in the grocery store and even voted. It only came out when she answered yes that she registered to vote during the naturalization interview.

On 10/23/2019 at 4:14 PM, Ivie & Eguagie said:

The SSN may be sent out within 2 weeks of being in the US if the option to automatically receive it is marked on the DS260. For some, like me, they had to go to the nearest SSA office to put in an application even though that option was chosen on the ds260. That is after waiting to receive it. It was received by me after 1 week of applying.

Green card takes a bit of time; some have been lucky to receive it within 3 weeks, while others like me, are still waiting. Been in the US since Sept 11, payment made since August 31st. That's not a cause for concern just yet since the Visa as endorsed by the CBP serves as the Green Card for one year. 

Good luck on your journey to the US. 

Thanks so much! Do you think I can go to SSN office to expedite the SSN?

On 10/25/2019 at 5:10 PM, Cyberfx1024 said:

This is totally correct..... I saw a case like this on Reddit a couple weeks ago. The immigrant mistakenly registered to vote in the grocery store and even voted. It only came out when she answered yes that she registered to vote during the naturalization interview.

Hello. What reddit do you use for reading and discussing about CR1 visa or green card? Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
14 minutes ago, msohyun said:
On 10/23/2019 at 4:14 PM, Ivie & Eguagie said:

Thanks so much! Do you think I can go to SSN office to expedite the SSN?

Yes,  you can go to any nearest SSA building to apply as soon as you land in the US. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.