laylalex

The Toxic Masculinity of the Trump Administration

21 posts in this topic

In American history from that point forward, sovereign masculinity is not associated with rationality or the life of the mind, but with a fantasy of instinct-driven, primitive potency. It scorns deliberation, negotiation, alliances with others, and the intellectual life. Trump’s promised rejuvenation of America’s greatness is all tied up with the reanimation of this history. It is a central structural feature of the past to be resurrected.

The conservative Harvard political philosopher Harvey Mansfield wrote a treatise praising this kind of manhood in 2006, as an antidote to America’s post-9/11 blues. “The most dramatic statement of manliness would be the one where the man is the source of all meaning, where nothing else has meaning unless the man supplies it,” he wrote. The ultimate aspiration of the sovereign man is to have his speech operate like the speech of a god, where his word instantiates truth.

I read this on the plane home. It's not really about toxic masculinity, which I thought was a cheap way to get hits on the page -- it's more about moral courage. The interesting point I think is about the "sovereign man" and how dangerous it is to place too much power in one person's hands. I'll read her book about sovereign masculinity, which is a concept I hadn't heard of before.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/19/opinion/the-toxic-masculinity-of-the-trump-administration.html

You need to rename your screen name Toxic Masculinity

3 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

You need to rename your screen name Toxic Masculinity

Hey, I was saying that I thought it was a cheap trick to get people to look at it! I think I get a lot of these articles because my newsfeed has it saved as a personal interest??? I swear I get three articles a day that mention it. :lol: 

But I genuinely think this one has something interesting to say -- when we give over to one person the power to say "this is the law," when that "law" is immoral, what do "good" people do? 

I showed it to Alex last night, and he had a similar reaction to yours, I think:

0nZ0oa3.jpg

1 hour ago, ALFKAD said:

I think imma like this Alex fella.  A lot.

:lol: I like him too, just a little.

I told him he had a fan of his performative masculinity and he said, "Who said it's performative?" :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

I think imma like this Alex fella.  A lot.

The very definition of toxic male.

Just now, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

The very definition of toxic male.

Absolutely not! A lot of what he says is just joking, to wind me up, and I know it. I mean, he is working on making his own sandwiches these days. I think you have to look at what he does in reality -- he's a doting father, a good provider, and loves me without reservation (even when I am not so sure I deserve it). I know he has my back in everything I do, and beyond that he really is a man who loves and supports women. 

I really hope you are just pulling my leg, Nature Boy. :( 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Naitch pulls so many legs he has a collection of them.

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline
9 hours ago, laylalex said:

Hey, I was saying that I thought it was a cheap trick to get people to look at it! I think I get a lot of these articles because my newsfeed has it saved as a personal interest??? I swear I get three articles a day that mention it. :lol: 

But I genuinely think this one has something interesting to say -- when we give over to one person the power to say "this is the law," when that "law" is immoral, what do "good" people do? 

I showed it to Alex last night, and he had a similar reaction to yours, I think:

0nZ0oa3.jpg

Just remember, he's going to expect this behavior once you're wearing his ring. Or bracelet, whatever. And then you'll wonder why he turned into such a neanderthal, but it's not so much about transformation as it is expression at last.

-

“He’s in there fighting,” the president said. “Boris knows how to win.”

6 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

Just remember, he's going to expect this behavior once you're wearing his ring. Or bracelet, whatever. And then you'll wonder why he turned into such a neanderthal, but it's not so much about transformation as it is expression at last.

I have the bracelet now, thanks. We're going ring shopping this weekend, and my aunt has offered me a family ring but I've said no. 

Funny you should say "neanderthal," because that's how my ex describes him. And it's NOT expression of his true self at all -- it's a joke. He is at heart a very good man, one who is protective of me. He doesn't mean it when he says he demands sandwiches whenever he wants. After all, that's what Postmates is for. 😇

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, Boris Farage said:

You’re so full of poo, you should start your own compost store!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
6 hours ago, laylalex said:

making his own sandwiches

Mrs. T-B. used to make my sandwiches for lunch.

One day, I opened my bag to find two "air" sandwiches (bread + nuthin') out of three.

She was rather embarrassed.

For remedy, consistency, and marital harmony, I've been making my own for something like 3 years now.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Speaking of sandwiches:

Two construction workers always ate together during lunch breaks at their job site.  One would open the lid of his lunch bucket and peer inside expectantly, but his face would always fall and he'd murmur, "Aw, nertz -- peanut butter again!"

This went on for several weeks, and finally his buddy asked him, "Look -- if you're so tired of peanut butter, why don't you ask your wife to make you something different for a change?"

"Oh, I'm not married," said the first.  "I make these every morning at home, myself!"

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

13 hours ago, laylalex said:

Absolutely not! A lot of what he says is just joking, to wind me up, and I know it. I mean, he is working on making his own sandwiches these days. I think you have to look at what he does in reality -- he's a doting father, a good provider, and loves me without reservation (even when I am not so sure I deserve it). I know he has my back in everything I do, and beyond that he really is a man who loves and supports women. 

I really hope you are just pulling my leg, Nature Boy. :( 

always about a 98.5% chance I am not serious about anything