mika__

Issues with NVC and constant RFE's, please help

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi everyone

Me and my husband hired a lawyer to file our cr-1 visa for us, and we have been stuck at NVC stage since April, thats when we paid all fees and sent everything in. We have had 4 RFE's since then with NVC most them which are the lawyers fault (uploading the wrong papers, sending in "too" much paperwork, etc). We got another RFE on Oct 4 here, the Document that was Rejected this time was one called "POLICE CERTIFICATE (1st MARRIAGE-FINAL DIVORCE DECREE)" (this rejection was for me, the beneficiary), and yet it was accepted all the other times but now all a sudden its rejected. Our lawyer said he doesnt know why it got rejected and doesnt understand the description NVC gave us for why it was rejected. Our lawyer said he is going to email NVC and ask what is going on and to give a clear answer to us so we can upload the right documents but our lawyer also said "they can email him back or not, sometimes they dont" and kind of left us in the dark as to whats going on. Our lawyer said wait 7 days for him to get a email response from NVC and its been 2 weeks and all the lawyer keeps saying is "wait". Last time our lawyer said wait 10 days on something it turned into 2 months.

Me and my husband are lost on what to do, we keep getting rfes from NVC mostly due to the lawyer messing up or just telling us that they "dont know" whats happening. Me and my husband have started to try and call NVC on our own for weeks now to try and figure this out on our own but its impossible to get ahold of them due to they dont have a line where you can wait on hold. 

I personally didnt want to hire a lawyer, my husband insisted. I keep trying to tell my husband we need to fire the lawyer but he keeps siding with them for some reason and doesnt want to, even though they have uploaded the wrong things multiple times and always give us the answer "I dont know". Its very unprofessional in my opinion and is causing us delays in my opinion

Should we just try to keep calling NVC on our own? do we ask for a supervisor? we arent really sure what to do

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

RFEs are common at the NVC stage. Since you have been at the NVC stage since April it may be time to consider firing the lawyer and doing the rest of the process yourselves. You can call the NVC to ask why the divorce and police certificate were rejected, yet accepted all the other times. You need to call the NVC number many times until you get through, often the holding times on the phone can be 30 mins to an hour. Once on the line ask to speak to a supervisor because of how your case has been at the NVC and the documents should not have been rejected. 

Again, using a lawyer is your personal preference, many of us have had visas issued without the help of a lawyer doing it ourselves. My wife and I decided to save the money because we had a straight forward case and I would never pay someone money to fill out papers for me. To each their own. 

NVC issues checklists not RFEs. ;)

Sounds like the lawyer is not doing their job in a way that is satisfactory to you. DIY is definitely an option.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would suspect the lawyer sent a copy and NVC wants the original divorce degree

sometimes copies do not work at this stage

my lawyer sent a copy of my marriage certificate and NVC wanted the original (they said specifically the paper size is different in Morocco) so they wanted to correct one

If the lawyer didn't give you a copy of the RFE they sent to him,  demand it so you know what is going on

NVC is specific about the reasons and the request to the lawyer should say why

Problem here is not with NVC but your attorney

He shouldn't be saying he will email them,  he should be sending NVC what they need so you are not delayed any longer

Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, call the NVC! You may have to call 20, 30, 40 times in a row to get through to the hold queue, but if you are calling while they are open you will get through to them eventually! NVC email response times are I think 30 days right now so calling is much faster. If they've accepted the doc all other times it's possible that they made a mistake in rejecting it this time but you won't know until you talk to them. You also don't need to wait for the lawyer to upload the correct documents once you find out what the problem is, the beneficiary, petitioner, and lawyer are all allowed to upload documents. 

At this point your lawyer has messed around for long enough (I have nothing against lawyers, we are using one too) and it's time to start taking matters into your own hands :) 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 hours ago, mika__ said:

Should we just try to keep calling NVC on our own? do we ask for a supervisor? we arent really sure what to do

Sounds like a problem with scanning documents correctly (or incorrectly).  NVC is really picky about this.  Sometimes they reject scans that are horizontal when they should be vertical, some edges of documents are not visible, etc.  Your best way to resolve this is to fire the attorney and call NVC yourself.  It takes patience and multiple calls but eventually you'll get through to a person and they are typically very helpful in describing exactly what the problem is with the scanned documents and how you can fix the problem.  Maybe two different documents were scanned as one multiple page document and uploaded to CEAC incorrectly by your attorney's staff.  Call NVC and do what they say yourself.  That's what I would suggest and this is coming from someone who went through the NVC stage successfully a few months ago with no delays or RFEs.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, mika__ said:

Hi everyone

Unless I am mistaken, you should feel lucky that you get the RFE's, because, I've read that recent changes in policy, they do not even have to issue an RFE at all, it's up to the person doing your paperwork.  They can just deny the whole thing and start over from scratch.  Others would know better than me if it applies to the NVC level or not.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Highmystic said:

Others would know better than me if it applies to the NVC level or not.

That doesn't apply at the NVC; the NVC is nothing more than a document intake facility that checks for completeness; unlike USCIS adjudicators or CO's at an Embassy or Consulate; NVC personnel have no decision making authority.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

You should log in on ceac and check the messages yourself. you can also review the documents that are rejected.

you should have access to that information and you will need it when you call nvc anyway so demand it from the lawyer.

it sounds like they may have uploaded the documents under the wrong section, maybe a police certificate where the marriage should be??

Hello, I work for an Immigration attorney so if you have any questions, or need a step by step, please feel free to private message me. If you log into CEAC yourself then it should tell you why they're rejecting the documents. NVC is SUPER picky with how the documents are uploaded as another poster has said. I literally do the NVC process for numerous clients daily. Recently though CEAC are having an issue with uploading documents and the systems are down. You don't need a lawyer to upload the documents yourself as long as you have your case number and iv number. If you want me to go through it with you, please feel free to private message me! 

03/01/2019 - USCIS Chicago lockbox received case  for AOS/EAD/AP

03/21/2019 - NOA1 received hard copy via post (Notice date 03/14/2019)

Filed: Other Timeline
14 hours ago, DGF said:

Yes, call the NVC! You may have to call 20, 30, 40 times in a row to get through to the hold queue, but if you are calling while they are open you will get through to them eventually! NVC email response times are I think 30 days right now so calling is much faster. If they've accepted the doc all other times it's possible that they made a mistake in rejecting it this time but you won't know until you talk to them. You also don't need to wait for the lawyer to upload the correct documents once you find out what the problem is, the beneficiary, petitioner, and lawyer are all allowed to upload documents. 

At this point your lawyer has messed around for long enough (I have nothing against lawyers, we are using one too) and it's time to start taking matters into your own hands :) 

Thank you so much! this was very helpful, we will continue to keep calling like you suggested :)

I have had the same issue since May.   Documents that were previously accepted are now rejected.   The last one was also the Police report which they said was "missing" and yet it was listed as being accepted previously.   Calling the NVC does nothing....anyone that answers the phone just pays lip service to the caller and the NVC does nothing.   I've tried to get  a supervisor (they are always busy) and they NEVER return a call.  I am convinced that this is part of the current administrations efforts to curb/eliminate most immigration.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.