Boiler

Teachers are turning to 'sugar daddy' dating site to supplement their salary

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Uh, yes, I am working. I am taking my lunch break. Am I accountable to you now for my internet usage during my break time? :innocent:  I'm back on at work in about 10 minutes, please make sure I'm not posting then.

(PS: I often post from my phone when I'm supposed to be standing around and looking pretty. Let me know if I'm in trouble for that too. :) )

Do they now address you as HSH at work?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline

The biggest problem with teachers and salaries is that most of the money spent goes to funding retirements and benefits.  I know in our state they just increased the funding for public education  substantially even though there are fewer children in the system, and the teachers did not get a big raise.

5 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Do they now address you as HSH at work?

I wish! I doubt anyone would accuse me of being serene. HNH would be more likely -- Her Neurotic Highness -- or HOH -- Her Overdramatic Highness -- are more likely.

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Ahh, I was not aware of your job description.

Yes, I was a pity hire by my friend who is the manager here. He basically wanted to get me a job so I'd stop moping and so he could be amused at work.

Anyway, back to it. I'll check in later when I've got my Franzia. ❤️ 💋

Timeline
3 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I wish! I doubt anyone would accuse me of being serene. HNH would be more likely -- Her Neurotic Highness -- or HOH -- Her Overdramatic Highness -- are more likely.

Yes, I was a pity hire by my friend who is the manager here. He basically wanted to get me a job so I'd stop moping and so he could be amused at work.

Anyway, back to it. I'll check in later when I've got my Franzia. ❤️ 💋

Glad to hear you can bring laughter to someone!

:)

1 hour ago, Bill & Katya said:

The biggest problem with teachers and salaries is that most of the money spent goes to funding retirements and benefits.  I know in our state they just increased the funding for public education  substantially even though there are fewer children in the system, and the teachers did not get a big raise.

Interesting. Maybe it varies by state, but they released some figures as the teachers were about to go on strike here earlier this year. About 1/3 of teachers won't qualify for retirement benefits based on vesting requirements. Only 20% will get back more than they actually contribute. Worst of all Colorado is one of the few states where teachers don't qualify for social security benefits.

No surprise they can't attract and retain teachers. Several counties have gone to 4 day school weeks here, since the only way they can attract new teachers is by giving them a 3 day weekend. Even that doesn't last long. Turnover is high. It's a stupid system and really needs to get with the times.

Edited by Steeleballz

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have a passable knowledge in how it works in CO, often the School Boards are effectively run by the Teacher Unions whose obvious focus is to look after their members.

Benefits have been over provided and underfunded so when they seek tax increases  'for the children' people have wised up and vote no as they know where the money is likely to go. Look up PERA.

Difficult to know what the solution is but letting the inmates run the asylum is not helping.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Ohh and the 4 day week where I am was to save money not for recruitment, they built an over big new school which is half empty because they could and now they have the issue of the cost of operating it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

Well we have, for the most part, legalized pot and look the other way when the homeless and illegals shoot up and occupy areas of cities, so what could be the harm in a little prostitution?

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

39 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Ohh and the 4 day week where I am was to save money not for recruitment, they built an over big new school which is half empty because they could and now they have the issue of the cost of operating it.

It's for recruitment where I am, and they were upfront about that. We went to all the meetings the year before. They were looking at 50% larger class sizes or a 4 day week as a way to keep more teachers. 

You are out in the boonies though. We have elementary schools every 8 blocks.  I don't think your experience necessarily reflects urban and suburban issues. You have half empty schools, we have schools that are 50% over filled and unable to staff for what they already have. 

1 hour ago, Neonred said:

Well we have, for the most part, legalized pot and look the other way when the homeless and illegals shoot up and occupy areas of cities, so what could be the harm in a little prostitution?

. . . As long as it was taxed like any other occupation.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

My grandmother, a teacher who retired at age 65, died at 98, was a millionaire.

Both my parents were teachers and have assets over 2 million usd.   All of them combined their state retirements and investments.  My parents took turns working over the summers.  They also have rental houses.   We worked as kids doing painting and up keeping.  I've taught.  I still do trainings.  Mostly the teachers I know all try to do the least amount of work and don;t invest outside the state retirement system.  This includes my cousin, a school phycologist.  His dad paid for university and his doctorate.   He has no school debt.   He arns $90,000 a year and has no money at the end of the month.  Booze, clubs and concerts every week for him.  Sorry for him.  Wait, I'm not.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Interesting. Maybe it varies by state, but they released some figures as the teachers were about to go on strike here earlier this year. About 1/3 of teachers won't qualify for retirement benefits based on vesting requirements. Only 20% will get back more than they actually contribute. Worst of all Colorado is one of the few states where teachers don't qualify for social security benefits.

No surprise they can't attract and retain teachers. Several counties have gone to 4 day school weeks here, since the only way they can attract new teachers is by giving them a 3 day weekend. Even that doesn't last long. Turnover is high. It's a stupid system and really needs to get with the times.

How can they not qualify for SS if they are working?

20 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

How can they not qualify for SS if they are working?

Goes all the way back to when SS was started. Most public sector employees had their own pension plans at that time. SS was mainly created for the private sector. Over time most public sector employees have entered the system one way or another. Teachers were among the groups originally exempt, and still are in several states. They also don't pay in though, (so not 6% deduction) and theoretically they could invest that themselves. They lose on the employer match for that, but they eventually should get employer contributions to their pensions.

Most states have gotten with the program and opted into SS for public employees, but some still haven't. The problem with the teacher's pension plans in many states is that it's structured with heavily back loaded employer contributions, so it is mostly just employee contributions for the first 10 years. They can end up with very little retirement savings, and if really unlucky, won't even get vested at all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
15 hours ago, laylalex said:

I think if a guy's dumb enough to pay $10k for a "relationship," that's down to him.

way cheaper than marriage and alimony....

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!