Voice of Reason

You Can Now Be Fined Up To $250,000 If You Call Someone An ‘Illegal Alien’ In New York City

63 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Stating it as a fact is not.

No its not because it would be laughed out of court 

Just now, Bill & Katya said:

You are the one defending this, I am interested in your interpretation.

You were not asking for my opinion. You asked how the NYC HR commission defines harassment. How the hell would I know that? If you want to know, call them. If you don't want to know, then obviously your question was rhetorical. 

I am not defending the law. I said in the first post I don't care. It doesn't affect me either way. I do think NY has the right to pass laws they see fit for their own state and municipalities, as long as those laws are constitutional. I haven't seen anything yet showing how this law is not. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Steeleballz said:

You were not asking for my opinion. You asked how the NYC HR commission defines harassment. How the hell would I know that? If you want to know, call them. If you don't want to know, then obviously your question was rhetorical. 

I am not defending the law. I said in the first post I don't care. It doesn't affect me either way. I do think NY has the right to pass laws they see fit for their own state and municipalities, as long as those laws are constitutional. I haven't seen anything yet showing how this law is not. 

For not caring, you certainly seem to be taking an interesting route.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Just now, Steeleballz said:

Stating it as a fact is not subject to being fined. It wouldn't end up in court.

Just going on what you said. Actual immigration status. You are contradicting yourself 

" Here is the actual case law. It says you can't harass someone based on perceived or actual immigration status"

1 minute ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Just going on what you said. Actual immigration status. You are contradicting yourself 

" Here is the actual case law. It says you can't harass someone based on perceived or actual immigration status"

You are not understanding the law. It does not say you can't call someone an illegal alien. It says you can't use the term with intent to demean, humiliate or harass someone.

4 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

You are not understanding the law. It does not say you can't call someone an illegal alien. It says you can't use the term with intent to demean, humiliate or harass someone.

I read the report itself linked in that article (slow morning), and that's really what it says -- you can't use it for these purposes. Nor can you say things about aliens who are in the country legally that are intended to demean, humiliate or harass. It's not that hard. :) If you were just saying it neutrally, it wouldn't be against the law. So saying, "All you illegals are the same, a bunch of dirty criminals" is not okay, but saying "You may be an illegal alien but your children are citizens" would be fine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, laylalex said:

I read the report itself linked in that article (slow morning), and that's really what it says -- you can't use it for these purposes. Nor can you say things about aliens who are in the country legally that are intended to demean, humiliate or harass. It's not that hard. :) If you were just saying it neutrally, it wouldn't be against the law. So saying, "All you illegals are the same, a bunch of dirty criminals" is not okay, but saying "You may be an illegal alien but your children are citizens" would be fine.

So who determines what those words mean? Are there specific examples or is down to the though police?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

So who determines what those words mean? Are there specific examples or is down to the though police?

I'll check the report again for you, if you like, after my coffee/tea run. :) 

8 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Correct, and to be more specific, this guidance is specific to public accommodations, employment and housing. It doesn't apply anywhere else. 

9 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Seems like you would report it to the commission, who have the authority to investigate and have their own enforcement bureau. In short, the same way any discrimination complaint is currently filed in NYC. 

2019 Settlement Highlights

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Boiler said:

minitrue will let you know.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

so its as if they are making illegal aliens a protected class. The dems will sell the country to the devil to stay in power 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

so its as if they are making illegal aliens a protected class. The dems will sell the country to the devil to stay in power 

it is interesting to watch, seems the intent is to upset as many people as possible, is there a Committee to come up with really stupid ideas.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”