Voice of Reason

You Can Now Be Fined Up To $250,000 If You Call Someone An ‘Illegal Alien’ In New York City

63 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

so its as if they are making illegal aliens a protected class. The dems will sell the country to the devil to stay in power 

No, it applies to aliens who are here legally too. Really, this isn't too hard. :) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, laylalex said:

No, it applies to aliens who are here legally too. Really, this isn't too hard. :) 

So what would this cost me?

3c079163cd7e0aa6842e75683375e200.jpeg

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 minutes ago, Boiler said:

it is interesting to watch, seems the intent is to upset as many people as possible, is there a Committee to come up with really stupid ideas.

Yes its called the DNC

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Yes its called the DNC

As much as I dislike them I can not feel that they are on a runaway train and have no idea how to operate the brakes, the loons have taken over the asylum. 

Is asylum a trigger word?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

14 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So what would this cost me?

3c079163cd7e0aa6842e75683375e200.jpeg

Well, I don't know anything about Scottish (Scots?) law! 😂

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Boiler said:

As much as I dislike them I can not feel that they are on a runaway train and have no idea how to operate the brakes, the loons have taken over the asylum. 

Is asylum a trigger word?

You are 👌

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

54 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Exactly. My wife has been told to go back to Russia. She has had her accent mocked. She has had her immigration status questioned. She is a USC now and it still happens. NYC has a huge immigrant community. I can see why they would support the work of the commission. I do understand why the tolerant right is having issues with it though. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Timeline

Sounds like there are a lot of bigots in NY.

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, laylalex said:

Perhaps it's just me, but I have never in my life called an immigrant an illegal alien.  But I have many times referred to illegal aliens not belonging here.  There is a difference.

35 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

Perhaps it's just me, but I have never in my life called an immigrant an illegal alien. 

Well, good for you? @Steeleballz's wife was told to go back to Russia, so it clearly DOES happen, even after citizenship.

Timeline

Well, good for you? @Steeleballz's wife was told to go back to Russia, so it clearly DOES happen, even after citizenship.

How would you be able to tell?

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well, you can't. Why others feel compelled to use demeaning language towards others is beyond me, regardless of status. I can't recall the last time I made an issue of someone's country of origin. Why is it even necessary? Is it something you find yourself doing in a context that might violate this law?

Just now, Boiler said:

That's was the point I was making in the first place. You don't know someones immigration status. They are not required to tell you either. Many people don't actually want to know immigration status anyway. Sometimes it's just an outlet for bigoted comments and attitudes. It doesn't just happen in NYC. It happens everywhere.

In the article above, one of the example cases was a landlord threatening to call ICE unless he got his rent money. He didn't actually care about their immigration status. He already knew that. He cared about getting his money.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

I can't recall the last time I made an issue of someone's country of origin.

I lied. I think I told Boris on here that I wasn't fond of Englishmen. :lol: