brendaaa

After arrival how long till GC arrives?

18 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, brendaaa said:

Do you guys know how long it takes for the green card to arrive in the mail?

I assume you paid the USCIS Immigrant Fee of $220 before entering the US. "It may take up to 120 days from the date you entered to receive your permanent resident card." https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/expect-green-card Your endorsed Immigrant Visa serves as an I-551.

16 minutes ago, brendaaa said:

what about the SSN card?

2 to 3 weeks. Or you can submit Form SS-5 in-person at the SSA office: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

Edited by HRQX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
1 minute ago, HRQX said:

I assume you paid the fee before entering the US. "It may take up to 120 days from the date you entered to receive your permanent resident card." https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/expect-green-card

2 to 3 weeks. Or you can submit Form SS-5 in-person at the SSA office: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

I know they says it may take up to 120 days, but I would like to know form others experience how long it took them

2 minutes ago, brendaaa said:

I would like to know form others experience how long it took them

It varies. The following user has waited for more than 90 days: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/718924-paid-green-card-fees-111-days-ago-and-came-here-more-than-3-months-ago-still-waiting-for-green-card/ In the meantime, the endorsed Immigrant Visa serves as an I-551. https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/temporary-i-551-stamps-and-mrivs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~MOved to General Immigration, from IR1/CR1 P&P - The OP's question is past the visa processing.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
10 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Green card came here exactly a month from POE

SS card came faster -2 weeks

Did you mark the ds260 for immigration to process SS number?

Yes I did, I'm just worried that we might have to travel back to my country 3 months after my POE for a month to attend an event and nobody in the states will be able to receive it for me, I hope it doesn't take 120 days.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
12 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Green card came here exactly a month from POE

SS card came faster -2 weeks

Did you mark the ds260 for immigration to process SS number?

how long ago did your SO get the green card? It seems this past year has been close to the 3 month mark. 

Married: 09/01/02016

I-130 sent: 11/21/2016

NOA1 received: 11/25/2016

NOA1 hard copy: 11/30/2016

NOA2 hard copy: 09/21/2017

NVC received: 10/01/2017

DS-261 completed: 10/06/2017

AOS paid: 10/11/2017

IV fee paid: 10/20/2017

DS-260 completed: 10/25/2017

AOS/IV mailed: 10/26/2017

AOS/IV received: 10/31/2017

CC12/06/2017

Interview: 02/20/2018   AP:(

2nd Interview: 02/25/2019 (It was a STOKES!! I think I surprised them because I all ready had a trip planned over there to see him!!!)

Visa in hand! 08/12/2019

Arrived in US: 10/10/2019

10 year green card: 11/08/2019

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, tiyyo said:

how long ago did your SO get the green card? It seems this past year has been close to the 3 month mark. 

seems that way from many posts here 

we got ours in 2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband arrived on his CR-1 visa more than a month ago.  SS card came in the mail 10 days after arrival.  Still waiting on the green card.  I called USCIS more than a week ago and they gave me the standard 120 day after POE answer, then call back to inquire.

9 hours ago, brendaaa said:

Yes I did, I'm just worried that we might have to travel back to my country 3 months after my POE for a month to attend an event and nobody in the states will be able to receive it for me, I hope it doesn't take 120 days.

You can travel back and forth with the  I-551 as poster HRQX has mentioned; however, I would caution you against not having someone to collect/receive your green card. My green card took exactly 20 days for the post office to deliver it to the place where I had initially indicated at my POE, which was a Hotel. I was not able to travel to my original POE to where my family lived because of hurricane issues and the need to fly into another city. Well, when the post office delivered my green card to the hotel, the manager called me the next day and told me the post office delivered mail to their reception. 

By the time I went to collect it the next day, nobody could find my mail. Suffice to say, it was stolen, so I had to file an I-90 to replace my green card that was never delivered. It took more another 10 months before I could get a replacement card (the original). Short end of the story, please make sure if you have to leave the place where the green  card is to be delivered, make sure you find someone "trustworthy" who can receive it on yourself and whom can keep it safely until your return. The I-190 form now takes approximately 11-12 months to process. You don't want to be living in the US without this...trust me, it's a complete impediment.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
21 hours ago, HRQX said:

I assume you paid the USCIS Immigrant Fee of $220 before entering the US. "It may take up to 120 days from the date you entered to receive your permanent resident card." https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/expect-green-card Your endorsed Immigrant Visa serves as an I-551.

The green card fee is paid only after approval I assume? This is separate from the nvc fees right?

7 minutes ago, JC&BS said:

The green card fee is paid only after approval I assume? This is separate from the nvc fees right?

This is correct.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

it definitely varies. I believe I waited somewhere around 170 or 180 days for the greencard to arrive. Went to the USCIS field office many times and had plenty of inquiries for lost paperwork. 

my friend got hers in a matter of 15 days after arrival. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.