flacka

Trouble opening joint bank account

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi! Using the search option I've read through a number of posts but there isn't really a ~solid answer and some of the posts are a few years old so just seeing if maybe anyone has some new insight! 

My husband and I have been married for a little over a month and we're working on getting the final things together before we send our AOS package (adjusting status through marriage, overstayed 5 years on ESTA, no SSN). We really would like to open a joint account but the two banks we have tried (Wells Fargo & PNC) have turned us down due to his lack of SSN. He has a valid passport, we have our marriage certificate, and proof of address.. I'm not really sure where else to try or if it really is a keep trying and hope for the best kind of situation? I do understand not having a joint account from the jump would likely not be the end of the world when providing our bona fide marriage evidence but not only for that, we want one for the sake of convenience and paying bills!

Anyone have any luck or experience opening a joint account without SSN? Should we just keep trying different banks or wait until we file and he receives EAD? Thanks in advance! 😁 

9/25/2020 - Application sent to USCIS Chicago lockbox
9/29/2020 - Package delivered

10/21/2020 - Received 4 texts
10/29/2020 - Received 4 NOA's in mail, priority date 9/29/2020

1/29/2021 - Online status changed to RFE (I-944 now irrelevant)

2/2/2021 - Biometrics letter received, appointment 2/17/2021
2/17/2021 - Biometrics & RFE received

3/2/2021 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

5/27/2021 - Request I-765 expedite via Emma
6/1/2021 - Expedite request received

6/4/2021 - EAD card is being produced

6/8/2021 - Interview has been scheduled!

7/22/2021 - Interview - around 9:50pm that night, new card is being produced! 
7/23/2021 - Case is approved. 🥳

15 minutes ago, flacka said:

Should we just keep trying different banks or wait until we file and he receives EAD?

Keep trying different banks. I read someone posted not too long ago they were able to do that with some other bank. Of course I can't find the thread now. 

When he has the EAD in hand, it definitely would work because with EAD, he'll be able to get a SSN. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I opened an account with us bank without social security number. Try that if it is  available in your area. 

My Time line is Updated! 

36 minutes ago, flacka said:

Hi! Using the search option I've read through a number of posts but there isn't really a ~solid answer and some of the posts are a few years old so just seeing if maybe anyone has some new insight! 

My husband and I have been married for a little over a month and we're working on getting the final things together before we send our AOS package (adjusting status through marriage, overstayed 5 years on ESTA, no SSN). We really would like to open a joint account but the two banks we have tried (Wells Fargo & PNC) have turned us down due to his lack of SSN. He has a valid passport, we have our marriage certificate, and proof of address.. I'm not really sure where else to try or if it really is a keep trying and hope for the best kind of situation? I do understand not having a joint account from the jump would likely not be the end of the world when providing our bona fide marriage evidence but not only for that, we want one for the sake of convenience and paying bills!

Anyone have any luck or experience opening a joint account without SSN? Should we just keep trying different banks or wait until we file and he receives EAD? Thanks in advance! 😁 

I know for a fact that at least one of the banks you listed can open a bank account without a social. It's more paperwork but it can be done. Please visit other branches.

Edited by OneD

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 9/24/2019 at 12:21 PM, wilcouk said:

Try Chase, you don't need an ITIN or a SSN if you open a joint bank account.

Yes that true, i and my husband went too and what they asked from me is valid passort and utility bills or cable bills with my name on it as a proof of residency.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

On 9/24/2019 at 2:27 PM, abhatia315 said:

I opened an account with us bank without social security number. Try that if it is  available in your area. 

I just checked and unfortunately there are no locations in our area. :( Thank you, though! 

Thanks for all of the feedback! We'll keep trying and visiting different branches! :) 

9/25/2020 - Application sent to USCIS Chicago lockbox
9/29/2020 - Package delivered

10/21/2020 - Received 4 texts
10/29/2020 - Received 4 NOA's in mail, priority date 9/29/2020

1/29/2021 - Online status changed to RFE (I-944 now irrelevant)

2/2/2021 - Biometrics letter received, appointment 2/17/2021
2/17/2021 - Biometrics & RFE received

3/2/2021 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

5/27/2021 - Request I-765 expedite via Emma
6/1/2021 - Expedite request received

6/4/2021 - EAD card is being produced

6/8/2021 - Interview has been scheduled!

7/22/2021 - Interview - around 9:50pm that night, new card is being produced! 
7/23/2021 - Case is approved. 🥳

We have a joint account with Wells Fargo.. I don’t remember it being a problem, I just went with my passport/ uk drivers license and marriage certificate. Well at least I think it’s a joint account lol... they just added me to my husbands existing account, we both have cards for it and both of our names are on the statements.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Your husband can apply for an SSN. https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211420 according to this link you are entitled to apply for an SSN with the K1  visa. Print off that webpage and tell

him to bring it with him to the office!

Seconding Chase and Bank of America! Chase required a government ID and a proof of address. I also highly recommend looking into applying for an ITIN, it will make it much easier to add your husband to things like credit cards and bank accounts. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 9/24/2019 at 1:03 PM, flacka said:

We did but I’m not sure to this day if the lady was supposed too. Local bank in my home state 

Has anybody had issues with filling out a W8 BEN form during AOS? USAA is telling us that my wife needs to fill out a W8 BEN since she does not have a GC yet. I tried explaining to them that she meets the substantial presence test and qualifies as a resident for tax purposes, but they refuse to listen. We are considering going elsewhere to set up a joint account.

50 minutes ago, av8r-2112 said:

Has anybody had issues with filling out a W8 BEN form during AOS? USAA is telling us that my wife needs to fill out a W8 BEN since she does not have a GC yet. I tried explaining to them that she meets the substantial presence test and qualifies as a resident for tax purposes, but they refuse to listen. We are considering going elsewhere to set up a joint account.

Just do the W8Ben until she has an SSN. Then file the W9 to change the account.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.