flacka

Trouble opening joint bank account

19 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, av8r-2112 said:

She already has an SSN but they still won’t do anything without the W8Ben. I’m not sure if other banks handle it like that, or if it’s a USAA thing.

That's odd.  I only had to do the w8ben because I wasn't living in the USA yet.  Maybe just do the w8ben and then do the w9 like a day or two later. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline
On 9/24/2019 at 2:03 PM, flacka said:

Anyone have any luck or experience opening a joint account without SSN? Should we just keep trying different banks or wait until we file and he receives EAD? Thanks in advance! 😁 

When I first came on my J1 I opened my bank account with Bank of America before i got a SSN. TD Bank turned me down so I went across the street 🤷‍♀️

Keep trying!

04/01/2019 - filed marriage-based AoS, EAD and AP

04/03/2019 - NOA

05/02/2019 - Biometrics appointment

08/20/2019 - I-693 courtesy letter

08/22/2019 - I-485 interview ready to be scheduled

09/15/2019 - filed SR for EAD/AP out of processing time (not assigned)

09/27/2019 - I-485 interview scheduled 

06/11/2019 - Interview at the NY Queens field office

07/11/2019 - I-130 APPROVED

08/11/2019 - I-485 APPROVED, card mailed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 9/24/2019 at 1:03 PM, flacka said:

Hi! Using the search option I've read through a number of posts but there isn't really a ~solid answer and some of the posts are a few years old so just seeing if maybe anyone has some new insight! 

My husband and I have been married for a little over a month and we're working on getting the final things together before we send our AOS package (adjusting status through marriage, overstayed 5 years on ESTA, no SSN). We really would like to open a joint account but the two banks we have tried (Wells Fargo & PNC) have turned us down due to his lack of SSN. He has a valid passport, we have our marriage certificate, and proof of address.. I'm not really sure where else to try or if it really is a keep trying and hope for the best kind of situation? I do understand not having a joint account from the jump would likely not be the end of the world when providing our bona fide marriage evidence but not only for that, we want one for the sake of convenience and paying bills!

Anyone have any luck or experience opening a joint account without SSN? Should we just keep trying different banks or wait until we file and he receives EAD? Thanks in advance! 😁 

Wells Fargo turned me down too at first because the requirement is you have to go to the nearest branch of WELLS FARGO from where you live. Your husband should bring his passport or any credit card from his home country as a proof of identity. I did that last 2 weeks ago, we drove 2.5 hours and called the branch of bank before going there to ensure they will assist me. I got all the things I need in less than 2 hours. We got our ATM after 5 days and delivered to our house. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.