N0mad

Does "evidence of ongoing relationship" actually help?

22 posts in this topic

Timeline

One of the bullet points in K-1 guide mentions an optional step of providing proof of ongoing relationship (tickets of future trips, chat logs, etc.). In another post I've been reprimanded for trying to explain how my fiancee and I met (something other online sources recommend), being told that USCIS doesn't care for a love story, they just want 1-2 sentences with concrete dates showing evidence of having met once in the last 2 years. Reading other member's RFEs and official USCIS instructions I see absolutely nothing about proof of ongoing relationship. Some other posts even mention that it's just clutter that slows down processing of your application. Despite it actually being recommended in the VisaJourney guide (unlike a page of explanation/summary of how we met and summary of our trips together, which several members told me USCIS doesn't care about), I don't see any evidence of USCIS wanting this information. With the explanation of how we met, at least a case can be made that it's overly verbose answer to question 54 of I-129F. With proof of ongoing relationship, I see no way to tie it back to I-129F at all. So does this information help at all or is it just clutter? I also want to clarify that I have plenty of evidence to attach to our case, but if it just clutter that USCIS doesn't care about, I'd rather not add it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 minutes ago, N0mad said:

One of the bullet points in K-1 guide mentions an optional step of providing proof of ongoing relationship (tickets of future trips, chat logs, etc.). In another post I've been reprimanded for trying to explain how my fiancee and I met (something other online sources recommend), being told that USCIS doesn't care for a love story, they just want 1-2 sentences with concrete dates showing evidence of having met once in the last 2 years. Reading other member's RFEs and official USCIS instructions I see absolutely nothing about proof of ongoing relationship. Some other posts even mention that it's just clutter that slows down processing of your application. Despite it actually being recommended in the VisaJourney guide (unlike a page of explanation/summary of how we met and summary of our trips together, which several members told me USCIS doesn't care about), I don't see any evidence of USCIS wanting this information. With the explanation of how we met, at least a case can be made that it's overly verbose answer to question 54 of I-129F. With proof of ongoing relationship, I see no way to tie it back to I-129F at all. So does this information help at all or is it just clutter? I also want to clarify that I have plenty of evidence to attach to our case, but if it just clutter that USCIS doesn't care about, I'd rather not add it.

USCIS doesn't care, it is not a requirement to get  a petition approved.   Ongoing relationship is something that the consulate looks at in the visa decision 

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

IMO, it depends mostly on your embassy. I would send in chats, photos, passport stamps, etc. If you don't want to create 'clutter' add at least 10 pages of some evidence of communication, visits, etc.

I don't believe it slows down the process to send in more than you think. USCIS isn't actually reading the info, as far as I know, they are looking for the basics. 

The reason people add more than others is because some embassies are tougher than others. Some COs do NOT care to look at any evidence the interviewee has with them during interview so the petitioner decides to add a lot from the beginning to increase the chances of the CO seeing the documents, photos, chats, etc. 

USCIS does not evaluate the relationship for an I-129F. They will not issue an RFE for this.

That said, depending on the country and your circumstances, it may or may not be helpful to front-load relationship evidence so the CO sees it before the embassy interview

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, N0mad said:

What country is your fiancee?   This can make a difference as there are a few countries where the embassy can be very difficult and "some" say front-loading is good at those embassies.  With most embassies front-loading is of no value and just a waste of paper.

Proof of ongoing relationship is an embassy requirement, not for USCIS.

:time:  

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

For 129F, no, it does not. Item 53 of the I129F, if you answered yes, asked you to "Attach evidence to demonstrate that you were in each other's physical presence during the required two year period." Just one or two sentences of the meetings with plane tickets, hotel receipts, and pictures will be sufficient for I129F. In our case, we didn't attach any chat logs, phone records, etc. but 1 page each of our times together that shows the pictures, tickets, cruise receipts and itinerary. No RFE for us.

I, however, will include some email communications, chat logs, etc, when I visit the consulate for my interview. This is a requirement as indicated in packet 3 - proof of on-going relationship.

Timeline
1 hour ago, N0mad said:

She is in Russia. Does it help to front-load this evidence for Moscow embassy?

Moscow is not typically one that is mentioned 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The answer to your question depends on red flags--tough embassy?  Big age gap?  Recent K-1 filings or rejections by either party?  Any red flags and some front-loading of quality evidence might help.  Each case is different, the general rule is no red flags or potential concerns that will bring closer scrutiny at the visa interview abroad, and all you need are the required documents and evidence of meeting at least once in person during the two years prior to filing the petition.  If there are red flags or concerns, front-loading of some good evidence could strengthen your case when it eventually gets to Moscow.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Timeline

@carmel34 The only potential red flag they may raise is relatively short time knowing each other (several months) compared to other couples here, who often know each other for several years. This is also why I was thinking of attaching additional evidence showing how well we fit in all other dimensions (culture, hobbies, etc.) but I don't know if this is really a red flag or I'm just over-worrying. I may be overthinking it since "how long have you known each other" is not a question on I-129F either.

Timeline
43 minutes ago, N0mad said:

@carmel34 The only potential red flag they may raise is relatively short time knowing each other (several months) compared to other couples here, who often know each other for several years. This is also why I was thinking of attaching additional evidence showing how well we fit in all other dimensions (culture, hobbies, etc.) but I don't know if this is really a red flag or I'm just over-worrying. I may be overthinking it since "how long have you known each other" is not a question on I-129F either.

Exactly,  and if it is a concern it will be raised by the consulate at the interview and you address it there 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
37 minutes ago, N0mad said:

Sounds like you're over-thinking this, if you have evidence to support the requirement that you have met in person at least once in the two years prior to filing the I-129F you should be fine with only the required documents.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Don't you have to know your fiance at least 2 years before you are eligible to file for K-1?

Nope.   Just need to be face to face within the previous two years 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.