Shiran

New Forms I-485 and I-864 are coming Oct 15

42 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

gAFSjpc.png

Please be aware, it looks like unlike previous form changes, there will be no "grace period" when both forms are accepted. If you are currently sitting on filled but non-filed I-485 AoS packet, suggest you file it soon.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Shiran said:

gAFSjpc.png

Please be aware, it looks like unlike previous form changes, there will be no "grace period" when both forms are accepted. If you are currently sitting on filled but non-filed I-485 AoS packet, suggest you file it soon.

Yea.  No transition period 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

It will be interesting to see the new forms.......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, missileman said:

It will be interesting to see the new forms.......

I am guessing form I-944 with be added at the same time as a requirement. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Shiran said:

Agree.  I'm also interested in if & how DOS will integrate the USCIS rules regarding public charge.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Any impact on those of us who filed last year, but are unlucky enough to live in a glacially slow region?  Still sitting at ‘Ready’ and  waiting for the interview to be scheduled.....

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you for sharing this, you just saved my family a lot of time and trouble.

God bless you 

01/08/2018: Priority Date

01/19/2018: Checks cashed

01/22/2018: 3 NOA's received in Mail (I-130, I-485 and I-765)

02/09/201: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter scheduled for 02/22

02/10/2018: Email notification of RFIE :(

02/12/2018: Early walk-in for Biometrics, successful

02/16/2018: RFIE received for birth certificate and translation, sent back the same day

02/20/2018: RFIE response delivered, sent via Fedex

02/23/2018: Case status updated to RFIE response received

03/05/2018: Courtesy letter for I-693, medical exam received, letter dated Feb 28th

03/08/2018: AP application delivered by Fedex

03/19/2018: NOA for AP received in the mailbox

05/03/2018: AP ONLY approved (Approved in 56 days)

05/11/2018: AP received in Mail

05/21/2018: Email received,EAD card in production (Day 133)

05/22/2018: Interview scheduled

05/25/2018: EAD approval letter received in Mail

05/29/2018: EAD card and letter for interview (Jun.26th) both received in Mail, Woot woot :)

06/26/2018: Interview completed, now waiting for the magical email/letter...

10/30/2018: Went to Infopass, officer has not made a decision yet, an email was sent to him tell him I came to inquire

03/26/2019: Moved so updated our address online with USCIS

04/16/2019: I-130 petition approved

04/20/2019: approval notice received in the mail

04/22/2019: received notification of RFE for AOS I-485

06/01/2019: RFE finally received after being lost in the mail, asking for a new medical exam

06/06/2019: Response to RFE sent, received the next day 06/07/2019

06/17/2019: Received notification of another RFE, 3rd time will be the charm hopefully

06/22/2019: RFE received for new medical

07/02/2019: Went to doctor for new medical

07/11/2019: I-485 approved without new medical exam

07/18/2019: Green Card received in mail

19 hours ago, Shiran said:

I'm confused about this. It states "While nonimmigrants are not required to submit a Form I-944, there will be a new question on both Forms I-129 and I-539 about receipt of public benefits as a nonimmigrant as of the date of filing and through adjudication." So for AOS of K1 visa isn't that nonimmigrant? So anyone applying for AOS after marriage on a K1 visa doesnt have to fill out a I-944 form?

Timeline
15 minutes ago, SMACEM2019 said:

I'm confused about this. It states "While nonimmigrants are not required to submit a Form I-944, there will be a new question on both Forms I-129 and I-539 about receipt of public benefits as a nonimmigrant as of the date of filing and through adjudication." So for AOS of K1 visa isn't that nonimmigrant? So anyone applying for AOS after marriage on a K1 visa doesnt have to fill out a I-944 form?

K-1 and K-2 entrants will be required to complete the I-944 when applying for Adjustment of Status per :

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2019-17142.pdf       Page 188

image.png.147a6046e8049f23f22ca990600cfe82.png

Edited by missileman

52 minutes ago, missileman said:

K-1 and K-2 entrants will be required to complete the I-944 when applying for Adjustment of Status per :

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2019-17142.pdf       Page 188

image.png.147a6046e8049f23f22ca990600cfe82.png

Thanks for the clarification. I was confused. I'm not at that point yet but just trying to be prepared. lol

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have some questions on the I-944 for our K-1 visa. Unfortunately we won't be able to file until after 10/15 so we're starting to look at what we'll have to do with the new rules. Since it looks like we'll need to file I-944 I started looking into the draft versions:

Draft form

Draft instructions

While this is subject to change, and we're really hoping this gets delayed, I think it's good to get some discussion on some of the items on this form for K-1 visas.

• Part 3 question 1 - most likely this will be U.S. spouse's financial data. For non-US beneficiary, they won't have a "US" federal income tax return, but would they want any sort of international income tax return? Seems like that could vary widely depending on country. I think for the beneficiary we would check "Not required to file a tax return (provide an explanation)" and we will explain that this is for K-1 visa beneficiary who has not been employed in the US.
  • Part 3 question 6 - seems like this is where we include non-US income from the year prior (so 2018 in this case)
  • Part 3 question 9 - it says "you may include the net value of your or the household member’s home as an asset" -  is this only needed if we don't have high income?
  • Part 3 question 11 - we'll file this 10 days after fiancee enters US, so would they have a credit report? I'd think not. So then it asks for a credit report that demonstrates we don't have a credit report - is this even possible?
  • Part 3 question 12 - I'm guessing fiancee won't have a credit score either so soon
  • Part 3 question 15 - I'll have fiancee on my health insurance as soon as we're married, so I suppose I can find a printout from my benefits center that states this as evidence?
  • Part 3 question 16 - do we answer "No I have not received" or "No I am not certified to receive in the future"? I'd rather answer the first "no." We obviously don't expect to but would this be used against us?

Thanks again for any help with these questions.

This whole form I-944 is a quagmire, full of tricks and traps to work against an applicant IMO better to apply before the deadline if you possibly can.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Timeline

All updated forms are now posted at USCIS site:

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/i-944

I-944 will be required for K-1 applicants.

NO changes to I-751 so far, so hopefully RoC will not be affected.

Edited by Shiran

39 minutes ago, Shiran said:

All updated forms are now posted at USCIS site:

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/i-944

I-944 will be required for K-1 applicants.

NO changes to I-751 so far, so hopefully RoC will not be affected.

That  form  I-944 is going to blow many couples out of the water. Like I said it's a quagmire full of traps and tricks to catch you.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Timeline
56 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

That  form  I-944 is going to blow many couples out of the water. Like I said it's a quagmire full of traps and tricks to catch you.

It's quite intense.  First time I've seen any questions concerning debt.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.