Bear093

Needing advice on B2 Visa

93 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I'm writing this for a friend since my English is a little better. We have kind of ran into a road block.

She has been an au pair from France for 2 years. She currently has her J1 visa but it will expire on Oct 10th this year. We have been to an attorney and he gave us some options. We were told she would have to exit the united states in order to get an ESTA. We are trying to avoid her having to leave the states. 

The attorney said she could apply for a B2 visa while she is here in the united states. When I look on other sites they are saying she will need to go back to France to apply and wait. I'm so confused on what to do and who is right.

Does anyone have any advice on B2 visas and if she can apply here in the states? Or any other options on visas?

The attorney made it sound like her best option was to marry a citizenship, but jeez youd think there would be a different route.

Shes also spoke about becoming a student but has no way to pay out of pocket, and the H1B visas will only work for bachelor degrees and so forth.

My understanding for green cards is a 3 year wait. It just seems crazy and I feel helpless for her...

18 minutes ago, Bear093 said:

but jeez youd think there would be a different route.

My understanding for green cards is a 3 year wait. It just seems crazy and I feel helpless for her...

Why should there be a different route? You can’t just stay here just because you want to.

There are many things in life we want but we can’t have. What is the purpose of applying for a B-2? That’s a tourist visa but it sounds like she wants to stay permanently. Not possible without a valid path to immigration. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

Thank you for the reply geowrian.

What is the VWP? If she applies for COS and they deny her that will deny her visas in the near future? Or is it just 'no but you can apply for a Visa once you go back '

She wants to stay because she likes it and has found someone she has been with for over a year. Just not ready for marriage. 

She has a friend from Germany that was an au pair and went back to Germany to get her ESTA and does that literally every three months until they get married.

Another au pair from Brazil is being sponsored by her host family after she is finished as an au pair. I'm not too sure how that works but there seems to be a lot of work arounds... and I was hoping to hear some good news 😕

Timeline
1 minute ago, JFH said:

That’s a tourist visa but it sounds like she wants to stay permanently. Not possible without a valid path to immigration. 

Yeah .... I'm aware of that. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Bear093 said:

What is the VWP? If she applies for COS and they deny her that will deny her visas in the near future? Or is it just 'no but you can apply for a Visa once you go back '

She wants to stay because she likes it and has found someone she has been with for over a year. Just not ready for marriage.

VWP = Visa Waiver Program. It's how certain citizens can enter the US without a visa for up to 90 days. They need an ESTA to board the aircraft still, but it's a simple online application. It's how most people from France visit the US (they don't apply for B-2 visas).

A denial of any visa or COS will likely mean the use of the VWP goes away for at least some years. The reason for denial matters, but almost certainly it would be due to 214(b) - immigrant intent. That by far is the most common one and there is a required presumption of having immigrant intent when appling for a visa.

Gotcha. I kinda figured there was an SO. ;) It's a very common situation.

Unfortunately, though, that is still not a reason to stay. I have to agree that returning home and using the VWP for shorter visits is the best option. Anything else is risky and may result in being unable to visit at all.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

20 minutes ago, Bear093 said:

Happens more than you think my friend. Long distance relationships are already hard. Add immigration to the mix and you are in a whole new ballgame. This is one of life's curveballs they are going to have to deal with.

We are trying to avoid her having to leave the states

It is not likely to happen without marriage. And to be honest, she knew that she would eventually have to return home when her time was up here. It should be so much of a shock to her. She accepted the terms of her program. It isn't a "you can stay if you like" type of program. In fat, they try to make sure nonimmigrant visa holders are aware of this.

There are millions, maybe even billions, of people in the world that would like to come to the US. People can't just say "I want to stay here" without due process.

Hope it works out for your friend but she really should have been prepared for this. It doesn't mean she will never be able to return in the future.

I guess we could just get married 🤷🏻‍♂️ lol

The way you were wording you previous post it was as it was a friend of yours. Now you want to marry her? Are you the SO?

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

17 minutes ago, Bear093 said:

Thank you for the reply geowrian.

She has a friend from Germany that was an au pair and went back to Germany to get her ESTA and does that literally every three months until they get married.

Another au pair from Brazil is being sponsored by her host family after she is finished as an au pair. I'm not too sure how that works but there seems to be a lot of work arounds... and I was hoping to hear some good news 😕

People get away with things all the time. Doesn’t mean it’s right. Unfortunately there’s no “I like you, let’s hang out for a while” visa. You have to be either married or about to marry. France May offer a partner visa (the UK does, for example, so they do exist). This might be their option to be together. If it’s all about being together what does the location matter? 

Using the VWP for back-to-back 90-day visits is very risky business. It might work twice, three times if you are insanely lucky. After that, CBP can see that you are using it to live here in 90-day installments and the plug will be pulled. 

We all survived separation and long-distance relationships. Not one of us has died due to being apart yet. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Bear093 said:

Short of marriage, it will be difficult.........separation is usually part of the immigration process......It isn't fun, but it can be done......good luck.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, JFH said:

People get away with things all the time. Doesn’t mean it’s right. Unfortunately there’s no “I like you, let’s hang out for a while” visa. You have to be either married or about to marry. France May offer a partner visa (the UK does, for example, so they do exist). This might be their option to be together. If it’s all about being together what does the location matter? 

Never heard of a partner visa. I'll have to look into it. Of course the location matters when you want to be together?? Lol

9 minutes ago, JFH said:

Using the VWP for back-to-back 90-day visits is very risky business. It might work twice, three times if you are insanely lucky. After that, CBP can see that you are using it to live here in 90-day installments and the plug will be pulled. 

Shes done it back to back 5x 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, missileman said:

That isn't a very good reason in my opinion.  .....marriage to gain immigration benefits is fraud......

"WE" could just get married.......????  Separation was a necessity for most of us.  It can be done....good luck...

It's not fraud when the relationship is legitimate,  partner

2 minutes ago, Bear093 said:

Shes done it back to back 5x 

Sixth time is the charm? Who knows when, but they do actually catch on to this then the VWP days will be over. Five times is beating the odds already.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

People can't just say "I want to stay here" without due process.

Thats the thing... she wants to go through the process, but the way into the united states is kind of ridiculous. 

3 years just to get a green card review? Pfft.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Bear093 said:

It's not fraud when the relationship is legitimate,  partner

No one will argue with that........

1 minute ago, Bear093 said:

3 years just to get a green card review

3 years?   Where did you get that information?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.