damola_onaf1

CR-1/IR-1 Refused under section 212(a)(4)

55 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 hours ago, pushbrk said:

They aren't really looking at how likely it is they can COLLECT from the sponsor, but how likely it is there will ever be a need to.

Which, in my mind, means the primary Sponsor financial documents are more important than some people think......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
5 hours ago, damola_onaf1 said:

She dose not want to live in Nigeria or leave her job, we have talk about that before the petition.

They are cracking down on support requirements is seems.  It is not as easy as it used to be.  

So her children needed to be sponsored from where?  Also Nigeria?  Are they children from a previous marriage?  Why were they not USC’s?

I am trying to understand what they are seeing that made them deny on this basis.

Did you, her, and children intend to have or use health insurance?  Did her taxes show that their insurance premiums are being supplemented by the government?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
11 hours ago, pushbrk said:

a good reason to be willing to act as sponsor

Can you cite examples of good reasons "to be willing to act as sponsor"?! To me, sponsoring someone is a responsibility and binding contract, so as long as a sponsor acknowledges that is is fully aware of the consequences, he/she doesn't have to have a "good reason" to sponsor someone. He may only be a friend trying to help the couple start their life together. OR He/she could say I like the color of you hair lol and I want to sponsor you. If I have the means and will to do so, why would anyone care?! I don't get it! If the immigrant ever becomes a public charge, they can go after the sponsor. Simple! If the sponsor is fine with that...what's the issue?! I'm fairly new to visas and immigration so maybe I'm oversimplifying the process, but it really shouldn't be that complicated or subjective.

Edited by Karim2018

25 minutes ago, Karim2018 said:

Can you cite examples of good reasons "to be willing to act as sponsor"?! To me, sponsoring someone is a responsibility and binding contract, so as long as a sponsor acknowledges that is is fully aware of the consequences, he/she doesn't have to have a "good reason" to sponsor someone. He may only be a friend trying to help the couple start their life together. OR He/she could say I like the color of you hair lol and I want to sponsor you. If I have the means and will to do so, why would anyone care?! I don't get it! If the immigrant ever becomes a public charge, they can go after the sponsor. Simple! If the sponsor is fine with that...what's the issue?! I'm fairly new to visas and immigration so maybe I'm oversimplifying the process, but it really shouldn't be that complicated or subjective.

A spouse is great as a sponsor as they have a reason to support the individual so they never become a public charge. Even in divorce, spousal support and such can come into play as a means to avoid the individual becoming a public charge in the first place.

A close family member of the applicant is also pretty good as - presumably - the family member will not just abandon the individual and has a reason to want to support them before they become a public charge.

A random stranger that says "I like your hair - I'll sponsor you" has no compelling reason to actually support the applicant so they never become a public charge in the first place.

Enforcement of the I-864 is not "simple" - it's really a potential long and painful process go through the courts to sue for enforcement. Where you live also will come into play during enforcement.

Either way, the law as written now requires the CO to base their decision on the if the applicant is likely to become a public charge in the first place, not on their ability to sue under the I-864 or the government's ability to collect.

What "should" be the case has no role here. That's a separate issue from what "is".

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

A random stranger that says "I like your hair - I'll sponsor you" has no compelling reason to actually support the applicant so they never become a public charge in the first place.

Thank you for the explanation. To me, compelling or not, if you sign a contract, you better be ready to fulfill it. That said, I agree that isn't always easy to enforce such things. Again thank you for your clarifications and examples.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 8/30/2019 at 6:44 AM, damola_onaf1 said:

No she sponsor 2 people already, and they are currently in the process to naturalize. 

Once they are naturalized they are off the list.   Drag feet a litte and submit new support evidence .. if the embassy has not returned the case file to USCIS.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, Karim2018 said:

I can understand why you would think, feel, or wish "it really shouldn't be that complicated or subjective".  It is what it is though.  For a spouse sponsoring a spouse, there's a clear reason to believe the petitioner/sponsor is highly motivated to actually support their spouse.  Unless a joint sponsor is a close family member, or very close friend, the motivation to actually provide support is far less.  Consular Officers are making a judgment call on how likely it is the immigrant will become a public charge, not how likely it is the government will be able to collect from the joint sponsor.  Totality of circumstances can include lots of things, and does.

Anybody can argue what should and should not be, but that gets us nowhere.  It does not "help" the person wanting to understand what to do next.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

2 hours ago, JC&BS said:

Interesting. So what is the public confusion and/or outrage concerning oct 15 about?

The new rule applies to USCIS, which covers AOS, EOS, COS, and some other types of cases with a public charge consideration.

The adjustments DOS made are separate (but they may or may not adopt the same provisions of the new rule as well).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
34 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The new rule applies to USCIS, which covers AOS, EOS, COS, and some other types of cases with a public charge consideration.

The adjustments DOS made are separate (but they may or may not adopt the same provisions of the new rule as well).

What are the specific "provisions" people are so concerned about?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

17 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

What are the specific "provisions" people are so concerned about?

I can't speak for everybody as to what they're concerned about, but some items I've seen mentioned by several members in the megathread are below:

• Expansion of programs that are considered to make somebody a public charge, including use of certain housing/food/healthcare programs that were not considered previously.
  • I-944 being necessary (disclosure of all sorts of information, including various debts, health insurance, etc.). Draft version here (final form not yet released): http://lallegal.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/I944-FRM-PubCharge-60Day-09262018.pdf
  • Use of credit scores of applicants as a factor.
  • Certain factors being considered a "heavily negative" factor, although it also establishes a "heavily positive" factor if the income is 250% of the FPL for the household size.
  • Additional guidance on the education and skills of the applicant, such as their English proficiency
Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

23 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

Prepare for the NOIR by finding a better qualified joint sponsor.

Okay.. And i also want to ask if i still do need a joint sponsor when the 2 children becomes citizen next month and it will be just both of us left to support each other???

4 hours ago, geowrian said:

I can't speak for everybody as to what they're concerned about, but some items I've seen mentioned by several members in the megathread are below:

• Expansion of programs that are considered to make somebody a public charge, including use of certain housing/food/healthcare programs that were not considered previously.
  • I-944 being necessary (disclosure of all sorts of information, including various debts, health insurance, etc.). Draft version here (final form not yet released): http://lallegal.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/I944-FRM-PubCharge-60Day-09262018.pdf
  • Use of credit scores of applicants as a factor.
  • Certain factors being considered a "heavily negative" factor, although it also establishes a "heavily positive" factor if the income is 250% of the FPL for the household size.
  • Additional guidance on the education and skills of the applicant, such as their English proficiency

Okay.. And i also want to ask if i still do need a joint sponsor when the 2 children becomes citizen next month and it will be just both of us left to support each other???

9 hours ago, pushbrk said:

I can understand why you would think, feel, or wish "it really shouldn't be that complicated or subjective".  It is what it is though.  For a spouse sponsoring a spouse, there's a clear reason to believe the petitioner/sponsor is highly motivated to actually support their spouse.  Unless a joint sponsor is a close family member, or very close friend, the motivation to actually provide support is far less.  Consular Officers are making a judgment call on how likely it is the immigrant will become a public charge, not how likely it is the government will be able to collect from the joint sponsor.  Totality of circumstances can include lots of things, and does.

Anybody can argue what should and should not be, but that gets us nowhere.  It does not "help" the person wanting to understand what to do next.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.