damola_onaf1

CR-1/IR-1 Refused under section 212(a)(4)

55 posts in this topic

Hello VJ members  

My wife petitioned CR-1/IR-1 visa for me and i had my interview on 30th of May 2019, and the VO told me that my wife income was not enough because she already sponsored 3 other person and i need to submit a joint affidavit of support, and i did submit a joint sponsor affidavit on the 17th of June 2019 and after that i got a response from the embassy on the 25th of July to submit my international passport and a form I-864 completed by the petitioner and a copy of the petitioner's IRS generated 2018 tax transcript and a copy of join sponsor's IRS generated tax transcript, which i submitted on the 20th of August and i got a refusal worksheet on the 26th of August.

Please i need help from anyone with experience.. Thanks.  

image.png.3824204e1a2a3417059dda99882dfb92.png 

* Moved form IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to P&P *

It's hard to say much here without the details:

• What exactly what submitted from each sponsor (besides the I-864)?
  • For each sponsor, are they self-employed or do they get a W-2?
  • What is the household size of each sponsor?
  • What are the incomes of each sponsors (ballpark - exact numbers not needed...just trying to get an idea if we're talking like under/barely over/well over the minimum income levels)?
  • What area/region of the US do the sponsors live in?
  • What is the relationship of the joint sponsor to the petitioner?
  • What country did you interview in?
  • Are there any negative factors to believe you may become a public charge? COs look at the totality of the circumstances, but some general criteria is in the FAM: https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030208.html#M302_8_2_B_2

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

• What exactly what submitted from each sponsor (besides the I-864)?                                                                                                                                                                                 I did submit passport data page and pay stub for my wife and our joint sponsor.
  • For each sponsor, are they self-employed or do they get a W-2?                                                                                                                                                                                         They are not self employed but they got a W-2                                                               
  • What is the household size of each sponsor?                                                                                                                                                                                                                             my wife's household size is 4 and our joint sponsor household size is 1
  • What are the incomes of each sponsors (ballpark - exact numbers not needed...just trying to get an idea if we're talking like under/barely over/well over the minimum income levels)?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 My wife's annual income is 27k and our joint sponsor is 33k
  • What area/region of the US do the sponsors live in?                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Both living in Ohio
  • What is the relationship of the joint sponsor to the petitioner?                                                                                                                                                                                                 Our joint sponsor is a family friend                              
  • What country did you interview in?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Lagos, Nigeria.                                                                                                                                                                                                          
  • Are there any negative factors to believe you may become a public charge? COs look at the totality of the circumstances, but some general criteria is in the FAM: https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030208.html#M302_8_2_B_2                                                                                                                                                                   No i don't think so..

It almost seems like they missed the joint sponsor information.  I agree that your wife's income alone was probably pushing it ($25K at 100% or $32k at 125% for a household of 4).  But adding in a joint sponsor with an income of $33k and a household size of 1 seems like it would be enough.

On J visas.  Spouse won DV lottery while in US.  Did AOS from the US.

Boston field office, GC holder for 10 years.

Citizenship received in 2016, took ~5 months from application to passport.

Spouse received citizenship in 2019

3 hours ago, damola_onaf1 said:
  • What exactly what submitted from each sponsor (besides the I-864)?                                                                                                                                                                                 I did submit passport data page and pay stub for my wife and our joint sponsor.
  • For each sponsor, are they self-employed or do they get a W-2?                                                                                                                                                                                         They are not self employed but they got a W-2                                                               
  • What is the household size of each sponsor?                                                                                                                                                                                                                             my wife's household size is 4 and our joint sponsor household size is 1
  • What are the incomes of each sponsors (ballpark - exact numbers not needed...just trying to get an idea if we're talking like under/barely over/well over the minimum income levels)?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 My wife's annual income is 27k and our joint sponsor is 33k
  • What area/region of the US do the sponsors live in?                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Both living in Ohio
  • What is the relationship of the joint sponsor to the petitioner?                                                                                                                                                                                                 Our joint sponsor is a family friend                              
  • What country did you interview in?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Lagos, Nigeria.                                                                                                                                                                                                          
  • Are there any negative factors to believe you may become a public charge? COs look at the totality of the circumstances, but some general criteria is in the FAM: https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030208.html#M302_8_2_B_2                                                                                                                                                                   No i don't think so..

Thanks! A few notes:

• And the tax returns I'm assuming (as that was noted in the original post). The pay stub(s) would be evidence of current income. I'm more inclined to believe they had enough documentation of the income but did not believe it was enough to make the CO believe they would not become a public charge.
  • Thanks
  • This doesn't seem accurate. The original post said she sponsored 3 others, so her household size would be at least 5 now. Or was that a typo (I see your post above saying 2 others)? Any kids? As for the joint sponsor, it cannot be 1. The lowest possible household size on an I-864 is 2. It's always at least the sponsor + the person being sponsored.
  • I think the $33k of the joint sponsor was just insufficient for the CO. I think it's time to find a new joint sponsor to overcome this issue.
  • Thanks
  • A close family friend that the petitioner has known for many years? While any USC or LPR domiciled in the US can be a joint sponsor, the CO has to consider (per the FAM link previously) the likelihood that the sponsor would actually provide support if needed. Like, if you later divorced, would they actually help ensure that the visa applicant did not require public assistance (means-tested benefits really)? With a family friend, unless there is a very strong relationship, I think that is a tough sell.
  • Nigeria is not known for being lenient on the I-864...they do want to see a pretty strong "not a public charge" case.
  • Thanks

The long and short of it is that I really think a different joint sponsor is needed at this point. I wish I had better news, but that's my conclusion based on the items above.

The good news is denial under INA 212 (a)(4) is not permanent - it just needs to be overcome via a sufficient sponsor still.

1 minute ago, kiwibean said:

It almost seems like they missed the joint sponsor information.  I agree that your wife's income alone was probably pushing it ($25K at 100% or $32k at 125% for a household of 4).  But adding in a joint sponsor with an income of $33k and a household size of 1 seems like it would be enough.

Part of the issue is you cannot join income/assets across sponsors. They are viewed independently. So they really only looked at the $33k of the joint sponsor. Also, the household size of 1 is wrong.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
3 hours ago, damola_onaf1 said:

No she sponsor 2 people already, and they are currently in the process to naturalize. 

How many people, including you, are on her affidavit of support

Are you the 3rd?

How many, including you, were on the joint sponsor’s affidavit?

They dont just use the affidavit of support anymore.  They also look at your age, health, skills, assets, education, fluency in english....

Do you have any skills or assets or education that you are bringing into the marriage?  They seem to be scoring more factors than just the sponsor’s affidavit.  

Edited by Nitas_man

Are you immigrating alone or bringing any minor children with you? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
5 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

They dont just use the affidavit of support anymore.  They also look at your age, health, skills, assets, education, fluency in english....

Do you have any skills or assets or education that you are bringing into the marriage?  They seem to be scoring more factors than just the sponsor’s affidavit.  

Interesting! I agree that OP hasn't provided much details such as wife's income, etc... BUT aren't the other criteria you've mentioned above suppose to start weighing in after October 15th?! Since OP filed waaaay before that date, the main criterion (to determine the support issue) was and still is (till 10/15) the I-864. If you meet or exceed their "poverty guidelines", they should (technically) check the support box and consider support and 'public charge' to be a non-issue?!

Edited by Karim2018

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
13 hours ago, damola_onaf1 said:

Hello VJ members  

My wife petitioned CR-1/IR-1 visa for me and i had my interview on 30th of May 2019, and the VO told me that my wife income was not enough because she already sponsored 3 other person and i need to submit a joint affidavit of support...

Ok, so 125% of HHS Poverty Guidelines for a household size of 3 is $26,662 . By how much is your wife exceeding that limit? Please ignore this post. I see that you've addressed my question already.

Edited by Karim2018

2 hours ago, Karim2018 said:

Interesting! I agree that OP hasn't provided much details such as wife's income, etc... BUT aren't the other criteria you've mentioned above suppose to start weighing in after October 15th?! Since OP filed waaaay before that date, the main criterion (to determine the support issue) was and still is (till 10/15) the I-864. If you meet or exceed their "poverty guidelines", they should (technically) check the support box and consider support and 'public charge' to be a non-issue?!

Just to clarify, that new public charge rule is for DHS, which covers USCIS. It's not yet entirely known how DOS will respond. But they have always been allowed to look at the totality of the circumstances, and the criteria to do so is updated every so often. See the FAM linked above in this thread.

That said, there was an update sometime last year that has resulted in an increase in public charge decisions...more people who are borderline and probably would have been approved anyway are being denied (at least until they find a suitable sponsor).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

At this point you are refused saying a visa can not be issued now and there is not a waiver

so,  no help now to aid in the embassy decision

you will need to wait about 6 months for the documents to be returned to the USA and a NOIR/NOID issued.  there will be a compete explanation of this issue and any others what concerned the CO

when the USC gets that,   take note of the issues as addressed and ask here how to answer all issues

the NOIR/NOID has a limited time to answer,  so the USC must be "on the ball with her response to the issues backed up with proof regarding the same.

At that time she can submit proof of ideal income levels with proper Number of individuals. 

There will be other issued, I am almost sure of ,   so she will need to be prepared to follow up 

As you said the others she sponsored are in the process to naturalize and that will aid her with the income as when they are citizens,  she is released from the support order for them.

but ,  is part of the problem she sponsored 2 former bf's or spouse's. 

Edited by JeanneAdil

6 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

you will need to wait about 6 months for the documents to be returned to the USA and a NOIR/NOID issued.  there will be a compete explanation of this issue and any others what concerned the CO

Ono what basis would the petition be returned? Or revoked (NOIR)? That only happens when the CO determines the petition is invalid.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

Ono what basis would the petition be returned? Or revoked (NOIR)? That only happens when the CO determines the petition is invalid.

it says refused with no waiver

this is how African countries say it is denied

if the USC corresponds with the embassy  ask her if packet is still there

Africa is not like other countries ,  they return petitions instead of saying get a new cosponsor as you can see,,   he was not asked for a new one or even told to submit additonal documents

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.