Boiler

Men now avoid women at work – another sign we're being punished for #MeToo

207 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline
7 minutes ago, laylalex said:

It's not a bad pen. A good pen for everyday work, or a nice gift if you don't want to go all out. But there are better pens out there.

-

“He’s in there fighting,” the president said. “Boris knows how to win.”

9 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

It's not a bad pen. A good pen for everyday work, or a nice gift if you don't want to go all out. But there are better pens out there.

Yes, he said it was a good everyday pen too. He said he liked it well enough, but then he moved out six weeks later so... I guess I should have chosen a better pen!

(Definitely the pen, Layla, not the "emotional affair"...........)

Timeline
9 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Yes, he said it was a good everyday pen too. He said he liked it well enough, but then he moved out six weeks later so... I guess I should have chosen a better pen!

I'm told there are "disposable" fountain pens for purchase. That might be a good reason for divorce. 😉 But no, this pen is, at worst, a "have I said something to offend her?" pen. 😉

Edited by Boris Farage

-

1 hour ago, ALFKAD said:

The person from whom I steal...

I never said I had a degree in English! :) 

3 hours ago, Boris Farage said:

I'm told there are "disposable" fountain pens for purchase. That might be a good reason for divorce. 😉 But no, this pen is, at worst, a "have I said something to offend her?" pen. 😉

Coincidentally, we had to speak tonight about some unresolved business. I did ask if he still had the Souveran and if he was only being polite when he said he liked it. He said it was perfectly serviceable and it was somewhere in the office, but he didn't really use it that much. He told me he's currently using a Mont Blanc Writers Edition Homage to Rudyard Kipling. :rolleyes: 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
12 hours ago, laylalex said:

It is possible to respect a woman, your partner

Read Dr. Laura.

---

Fountain pens fit very nicely into codpieces, it's said...

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 hours ago, laylalex said:

I never said I had a degree in English! :) 

Coincidentally, we had to speak tonight about some unresolved business. I did ask if he still had the Souveran and if he was only being polite when he said he liked it. He said it was perfectly serviceable and it was somewhere in the office, but he didn't really use it that much. He told me he's currently using a Mont Blanc Writers Edition Homage to Rudyard Kipling. :rolleyes: 

I have never understood the Mont Blanc experience.  Heck, I hardly ever use a pen now days, but when I do, a Bic is perfectly fine.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
Just now, Bill & Katya said:

I have never understood the Mont Blanc experience.  Heck, I hardly ever use a pen now days, but when I do, a Bic is perfectly fine.

You have answered your own question. If "fine" is the writing experience you're satisfied with, then you don't have to worry about understanding the "experience." Many people cook edible food without a quality knife, drive to their destinations in a basic vehicle, and work out in off-brand trainers. They too are "fine." But a chef who has earned that title does not settle on the quality of his knives, nor does an Olympic athlete settle for off-brand footwear. If the message you want to convey in your hand writing is grace, style, and professionalism, then the fountain pen is the tool in which those qualities can be best expressed.

-

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

You have answered your own question. If "fine" is the writing experience you're satisfied with, then you don't have to worry about understanding the "experience." Many people cook edible food without a quality knife, drive to their destinations in a basic vehicle, and work out in off-brand trainers. They too are "fine." But a chef who has earned that title does not settle on the quality of his knives, nor does an Olympic athlete settle for off-brand footwear. If the message you want to convey in your hand writing is grace, style, and professionalism, then the fountain pen is the tool in which those qualities can be best expressed.

Can you really tell me you can look at a written page and distinguish what instrument was used to write it?  I am all for quality, but there seems to be a point where things go overboard.  There was recently a story of an auto executive here in Michigan that was caught up in the FBI investigation of the UAW Training Center graft that purchased two $30k+ Mont Blanc pens.  Really, are the words written by those pens so much more elegant than from a $0.75 Bic?

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/chrysler/2018/09/14/montblanc-pen-seized-fiat-chrysler-uaw-scandal-could-sold-soon/1294502002/

Edited by Bill & Katya

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Can you really tell me you can look at a written page and distinguish what instrument was used to write it?  I am all for quality, but there seems to be a point where things go overboard.  There was recently a story of an auto executive here in Michigan that was caught up in the FBI investigation of the UAW Training Center graft that purchased two $30k+ Mont Blanc pens.  Really, are the words written by those pens so much more elegant than from a $0.75 Bic?

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/chrysler/2018/09/14/montblanc-pen-seized-fiat-chrysler-uaw-scandal-could-sold-soon/1294502002/

Can you really tell me the multi-thousand dollar knives Chef Marco Pierre-White uses to create his amazing dishes makes any more difference than a set of retail knives? Or that an Olympic sprinter would have done just as well wearing off-brand trainers?

Yes, you can absolutely tell the difference in writing. Like any quality tool, it takes some skill and time to learn, but again, if writing perfection is important to you, then it's a labour of love. You don't have to take my word for it, ask @yuna628 about her wedding invitations. I confess I do not own a $30k Mont Blanc, but based on your link, it's the inlay and precious metals that account for the cost. A $1k or $2k Mont Blanc would perform just as well.

Also, if you are a calligrapher (I do not profess to have any skill in this art), a fountain pen is the only way to practice your profession. You cannot do calligraphy with a $0.75 Bic.

-

Timeline

I also neglected to mention hand feel. If you write a lot, a cheap pen will eventually cause you a lot of pain in your hand. Whereas good quality fountain pens will have the right ergonomics to keep the muscle strain in your hand at bay.

-

Timeline
48 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

Can you really tell me the multi-thousand dollar knives Chef Marco Pierre-White uses to create his amazing dishes makes any more difference than a set of retail knives? Or that an Olympic sprinter would have done just as well wearing off-brand trainers?

Yes, you can absolutely tell the difference in writing. Like any quality tool, it takes some skill and time to learn, but again, if writing perfection is important to you, then it's a labour of love. You don't have to take my word for it, ask @yuna628 about her wedding invitations. I confess I do not own a $30k Mont Blanc, but based on your link, it's the inlay and precious metals that account for the cost. A $1k or $2k Mont Blanc would perform just as well.

Also, if you are a calligrapher (I do not profess to have any skill in this art), a fountain pen is the only way to practice your profession. You cannot do calligraphy with a $0.75 Bic.

Sure, if you are a calligrapher, it is understandable that they would want high quality and diverse instruments, but I thought we were discussing everyday writing.

33 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

I also neglected to mention hand feel. If you write a lot, a cheap pen will eventually cause you a lot of pain in your hand. Whereas good quality fountain pens will have the right ergonomics to keep the muscle strain in your hand at bay.

As I stated, I rarely do any handwriting now days as most of my work life is electronic, but sure, I remember back when learning cursive (do they even teach that anymore) that an uncomfortable pen or pencil can be painful.

16 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Sure, if you are a calligrapher, it is understandable that they would want high quality and diverse instruments, but I thought we were discussing everyday writing.

As I stated, I rarely do any handwriting now days as most of my work life is electronic, but sure, I remember back when learning cursive (do they even teach that anymore) that an uncomfortable pen or pencil can be painful.

I think that was the point initially. Even actual "writers" nowadays are likely to use a different medium. So probably the number 1 reason to have a fountain pen is that you have a fountain pen fetish. Same reason I used to have a sword collection I suppose. Sure I could use one to carve up a cheese wheel, or chase away a door to door salesman. No practical purpose to have one nowadays though. More about the aesthetics and the history. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Um, back to topic, although the fountain pen discussion has given me a lot to think about. I also know not to cross Steeleballz if he still has any of that sword collection!

This article was in my news app this morning: https://phys.org/news/2019-09-analysis-science-sexist.html

"We show that as the status of a role increases so does the under-representation of women, even when you take into account the number of women who are eligible. We also show how some common practices in award selection committees will be furthering the problem and give some simple recommendations that can increase diversity," she says.

2 hours ago, Boris Farage said:

Sometimes you sound dangerously like my ex, @Boris Farage! Have you guys been swapping notes???? :lol: