manilaboy83

Should i include my divorce decree from previous marriage when submitting I-751 for my gc spouse? And is it true that they call spouses now for interview?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone. 

I just want to ask if i(usc) need to include my divorce decree from previous marriage when i submit my i-751 for my spouse(gc)?

also i read online that as of Dec2018, spouses are now called in for interviews when removing conditional gc?

thank you for any info you can share

First the petition is not yours. Your spouse is the one filing to remove conditions since you are the usc you have nothing to remove. Second you both need to attend the interview when filing jointly.  That's always been the case. I don't know where did you read that this is something new. Read the guidelines very carefully before filing. Obviously you have quite of a misunderstanding going on. And yes you need to include your divorce decree.

Edited by HappyG

For ROC spouses are always interviewed with the immigrant. They want to see if the marriage is real

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

Thank you @Unlockable

@happyg uscis website. They changed their rule as of Dec2018 saying couples filing for ROC are now required to attend the interview. I know they could waive the interview appointment before. And yes i am the usc and we are both filing, not just me.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
1 hour ago, manilaboy83 said:

Thank you @Unlockable

@happyg uscis website. They changed their rule as of Dec2018 saying couples filing for ROC are now required to attend the interview. I know they could waive the interview appointment before. And yes i am the usc and we are both filing, not just me.

Not everyone gets interviewed so no, it's not required. Look around in other threads and you'll see plenty of people getting their 10 year GC without an interview.

J-1 212 Residency Requirement Waiver                                                                    Removal of Conditions

08/22/2016 Advisory opinion request                                                                      07/01/2019 Package sent (I-751)

09/30/2016 Finding letter sent *subject*                                                                 07/03/2019 Package received at Pheonix, AZ Lockbox

09/30/2016 Documents received by DOS                                                                07/10/2019 Text notification of Case received, WAC#

12/13/2016 NOS Letter received                                                                               07/12/2019 Received NOA, 18 month extension letter.

01/25/2017 Favorable Recommendation Sent                                                        01/27/2020 Biometrics taken, Pomona CA

02/02/2017 Case received by USCIS                                                                         08/14/2020 Case transferred to NBC

02/2017 Married!                                                                                                            04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

05/17/2017 Approval notice received                                                                       05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office

05/11/2021 Case approved

Adjustment Of Status from J-1                                                                                     N-400

05/08/2017 Package sent (I-130, I-485 and I-765)                                                   06/28/2020 Applied Online

05/11/2017 Package received at Chicago Lockbox                                                 07/06/2020 Received NOA

05/18/2017 NOA received with case numbers via mail                                           12/14/2020 Biometrics Reuse Notice

06/06/2017 Had biometrics appointment in Pomona, CA                                       04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

08/07/2017 Sent an online service request on I-765                                                05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office/Decision cannot be made because of I-751 pending

08/17/2017 Letter in the mail saying case still under review                                  05/17/2021 Case recommended for approved, submitted for quality review

08/23/2017 Scheduled for an interview                                                                      05/17/2021 Oath Ceremony will be scheduled

08/26/2017 Sent second SR on I-765                                                                          06/25/2021 Oath Ceremony, San Bernardino Office

08/26/2017 EAD New Card is Being Produced

08/29/2017 EAD card was mailed to me

08/31/2017 EAD card received in the mail

09/25/2017  Interview at San Bernardino office/GC approved

09/25/2017 GC is being produced

09/28/2017 GC was mailed to me

09/30/2017 GC received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, manilaboy83 said:

Thank you @Unlockable

Your wife is filing, she is the petitioner. It's a "joint" filing because you're still married, but you're not the petitioner and you're not filing together.

Timeline

11 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

Your wife is filing, she is the petitioner. It's a "joint" filing because you're still married, but you're not the petitioner and you're not filing together.

I am the petitioner and she is the beneficiary...and we are filing a joint petition. clear?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 minutes ago, manilaboy83 said:

I am the petitioner and she is the beneficiary...and we are filing a joint petition. clear?

You're wrong.

This is the first sentence in the I-751 instructions: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-751instr.pdf

"This petition is used by a conditional resident who obtained status through marriage, to request that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) remove the conditions on his or her residence."

Is this clear enough for you?

Timeline

@Mollie09it doesnt really matter to me as what i need to know is if i/we need to include the divorce decree, and not to figure out who the beneficiary or the recipient is. All i know is i am the usc. ok?

Edited by manilaboy83

1 minute ago, manilaboy83 said:

@Mollie09it doesnt really matter to me as what i need to know is if i/we need to include the divorce decree, and not to figure out who the beneficiary or the recipient is. All i know is i am the usc. ok?

Nobody is trying to play the semantics game with you, we just want to prevent you from making a mistake when filling in the form... In the ROC process, the foreign spouse (who was the beneficiary) is the petitioner. 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Timeline

@Daphne K your explanation is clearer and better and i appreciate the clarification, thank you so much. Yeah, i just need to figure out that divorce decree thing, whether to include it or not. 

5 minutes ago, manilaboy83 said:

@Daphne K your explanation is clearer and better and i appreciate the clarification, thank you so much. Yeah, i just need to figure out that divorce decree thing, whether to include it or not. 

Here is the VJ guide for ROC, maybe it will help https://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide/

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

The I-751 instructions just mention evidence to prove the marriage was entered in good faith and still ongoing.

I'd personally avoid including documents from a previous divorce as the officer could get confused and think the removal of conditions is not joint. And they -ideally- have any document previously sent anyway. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.