skipperdee

K1 Filers - July / August NOA2 - Montreal

523 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

THANK YOU, this is exactly the information I've been looking for. Posters here tend to jump straight into talk of emails and packets, and that has always left me (a beneficiary) wondering who gets contacted and when, how they were contacted, and how exactly anybody knows what to do next! For someone like me who's fixated on doing exactly the right thing at every step of this process (I know, I know ... chill out, haha), it's anxiety-inducing. 😧

The issue is that it's never the same for anyone. Some people get e-mails, some get mail, sometimes things don't make it to the petitioner, sometimes they don't make it to the visa applicant, etc., etc. I would say, getting an e-mail from NVC about case number being assigned is rare (unless they are newly doing this regularly), don't wait around for that. Calling NVC a few weeks after NOA2 is the fastest and most tried and true VJ way, otherwise they typically arrive via snail mail (many weeks after you could get the case # via calling).

DS-160 can be filled out and completed as soon as case # is received. Sure, they don't mention it until P3 but if you are proactive (isn't that why we are all here?) you know about the DS-160 long before P3. It's a long and frustrating form, why wait for the last minute to do it and prevent yourself from being able to send P3 response right back once received. 

As for P3, some beneficiaries (the petitioner is done getting things at this stage) get it e-mailed, some get it via snail mail. Some send in P3 response without ever being sent P3 and some of those people get P4 while others get the "don't send us this yet" e-mail. There really is no exact right or wrong timeline formula at this stage, you can't plan for the exact who or when, it's all just waiting and guessing, and every case is different. 

If you're not yet, you should follow along in the K1 thread for the month you got NOA2>NVC, you will even find information in there on how to track your case in the mail from NVC to MTL. 

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Interview 3/27/2019 (Approved)
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:
Filed I-485, I-131, I-765 6/21/2019

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

EAD/AP Approved 11/12/2019

Interview 2/20/2020 (Approved pending missing medical)
Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022
Text message received 2/22/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022
Biometrics Waved 3/28/2022

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, MeghanK said:

The issue is that it's never the same for anyone. Some people get e-mails, some get mail, sometimes things don't make it to the petitioner, sometimes they don't make it to the visa applicant, etc., etc. I would say, getting an e-mail from NVC about case number being assigned is rare (unless they are newly doing this regularly), don't wait around for that. Calling NVC a few weeks after NOA2 is the fastest and most tried and true VJ way, otherwise they typically arrive via snail mail (many weeks after you could get the case # via calling).

DS-160 can be filled out and completed as soon as case # is received. Sure, they don't mention it until P3 but if you are proactive (isn't that why we are all here?) you know about the DS-160 long before P3. It's a long and frustrating form, why wait for the last minute to do it and prevent yourself from being able to send P3 response right back once received. 

As for P3, some beneficiaries (the petitioner is done getting things at this stage) get it e-mailed, some get it via snail mail. Some send in P3 response without ever being sent P3 and some of those people get P4 while others get the "don't send us this yet" e-mail. There really is no exact right or wrong timeline formula at this stage, you can't plan for the exact who or when, it's all just waiting and guessing, and every case is different. 

If you're not yet, you should follow along in the K1 thread for the month you got NOA2>NVC, you will even find information in there on how to track your case in the mail from NVC to MTL. 

Definitely agree with you here. The DS-160 is extremely frustrating...it keeps deleting your data and randomly prompting for captcha codes the entire time which deletes your data as well. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
27 minutes ago, MeghanK said:

Oh, I've been reading along with this forum for months now, ever since we filed in April. The fact that this part of the process seems to be so different for everyone is really what's so confusing. I've seen all the posts about getting case numbers and sending out the P3s early, filling out the DS-160s, etc. It's just that part about who is notified and how from NVC to Consulate stage always seemed to be lacking. But thanks for all the info though, it's good to have it all in one place and every explanation helps. (BTW, is there another thread? You might just be referring to this one, haha. 😛)

17 minutes ago, ScooterJones said:

Definitely agree with you here. The DS-160 is extremely frustrating...it keeps deleting your data and randomly prompting for captcha codes the entire time which deletes your data as well. 

I actually filled mine out Sunday night so that it's ready to go, I just need the case number. To be honest, I think I caught it just after weekend maintenance, because it wouldn't load for ages, and then *boom*  -- it was fine. It took quite a while to complete, but it actually went without a hitch; even the photo upload was okay. Now, if only the NVC would answer their phones (yes, I'm using the 0888 number), things would be great!  EDIT: Finally got through, it looks like they haven't received the case yet (NOA2 was dated Jul 24th), but I was told it's taking up to 6 weeks and to keep checking (and the lady was very nice).

Edited by Thrillhouse

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

. Now, if only the NVC would answer their phones (yes, I'm using the 0888 number), things would be great!  EDIT: Finally got through, it looks like they haven't received the case yet (NOA2 was dated Jul 24th), but I was told it's taking up to 6 weeks and to keep checking (and the lady was very nice).

Wow, you got an answer? I was honestly never able to get through. There was some automated message in English and Spanish that said all reps were busy and it automatically hung up on me every time. It didn't matter what time of day I called. I got confirmation from the NVC that my petition went to the embassy about 40 days after my NOA2 date. 

13 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

(BTW, is there another thread? You might just be referring to this one, haha. 😛)

This thread: 

It's comprehensive for all K1s at the NOA2/NVC stage, not just Canadians, as this thread is.

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, MeghanK said:

This thread: 

It's comprehensive for all K1s at the NOA2/NVC stage, not just Canadians, as this thread is.

Sweet, thanks! Somehow in all my lurking I hadn't stumbled across that one!

4 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

Sweet, thanks! Somehow in all my lurking I hadn't stumbled across that one!

It's a super helpful thread, as is @Greenbaum's guide.

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022

Timeline
5 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

THANK YOU, this is exactly the information I've been looking for. Posters here tend to jump straight into talk of emails and packets, and that has always left me (a beneficiary) wondering who gets contacted and when, how they were contacted, and how exactly anybody knows what to do next! For someone like me who's fixated on doing exactly the right thing at every step of this process (I know, I know ... chill out, haha), it's anxiety-inducing. 😧

Yes! The process after receiving the NOA2 is somewhat confusing and unclear, so it's nice to hear from others exactly what happens and how it happens.

Thank you all so much!

5 hours ago, CON said:

Has anyone's status changed on the CEAC website?

Our NOA2 got approved July 12, we got our case number from NVC by calling. CEAC website shows "at NVC" and has not changed...

When did you get your case number? Did they tell you when it got to NVC? They can sit at NVC for 2-4 weeks depending on when your case is ready to be shipped. NVC ships cases once every other week so if you just missed a mailing you get an automatic extra 2 weeks wait.

Also, sometimes, the status just doesn't get updated. If that's the case, keep tabs on the average timelines right now and eventually you can e-mail MTL to ask. There's info on how to track your NVC-consulate shipment in the K1 progress forums.

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022

5 hours ago, CON said:

Has anyone's status changed on the CEAC website?

Our NOA2 got approved July 12, we got our case number from NVC by calling. CEAC website shows "at NVC" and has not changed...

I just saw your post on the K1 forum and from what else I see on there, there was not a shipment this week, so looks like you'll be at NVC until the 20th/21st (forgot they ship Tues and Weds every other week)

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022

Timeline

@MeghanK Thank you for your reply... I found that topic after I posted here and figured out I just missed the mailing as you have said.  I didn't know how to delete my question after I guessed on the answer.

You guys are so awesome for helping us all out!  God Bless.

Edited by CON

Question about the DS-160. The application asks for a receipt number, is this referring to the USCIS number (WACXXXXXXXXXX) or the NVC number (MTLXXXXXXXXXX)?

Also, as I am filling out the application the page asking for information about previous employment/ education disappeared. We filled out the info before it disappeared but wanted to see if this was a section in other people's DS-160 forms.

Thanks!

Timeline
On 8/19/2019 at 1:19 AM, Zuw said:

Question about the DS-160. The application asks for a receipt number, is this referring to the USCIS number (WACXXXXXXXXXX) or the NVC number (MTLXXXXXXXXXX)?

Also, as I am filling out the application the page asking for information about previous employment/ education disappeared. We filled out the info before it disappeared but wanted to see if this was a section in other people's DS-160 forms.

Thanks!

use the WAC number from NOA 

previous employment/education is a part of the form

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.