skipperdee

K1 Filers - July / August NOA2 - Montreal

523 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Got our NOA2 dated July 24th. Following this thread, and currently disheartened by the wait times the previous set of filers are experiencing. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi @skipperdee - I can't recall if the DS-160 requires the NVC case number, but I recommend checking the great example form on this website.  It helped us very much when filling out the DS-160 and you'll be able to see there what is required.  The Embassy will send you their Packet 3 instructions which will give you the direction to fill out the DS-160 and gather other documents on their checklist to prepare for the interview.  The notice from the NVC and Packet 3 will come very very quickly compared to waiting for the NOA2.  The one thing I recommend applying for early is the Police Certificate through the RCMP.  My fiance's took about 2-3 weeks to receive his and I am very cautious about jumping ahead steps, so we did not complete the Packet 3 until we received the Police Certificate which was an unfortunate delay we didn't expect.  The only requirement about the police certificate timeline is that you received it within a year before your interview.  So getting that early is not skipping any steps in my opinion.  Additionally, it took some time to find an RCMP location that understood what we were looking for.  (Not sure why since he lives about 2 hours from the border but that is neither here nor there).  

Anyway!! congrats on the NOA2 for you and @Thrillhouse !!! Mine felt like a dream come true.  You've got some more time to wait, but that is a huge step! Also one more recommendation from what I have learned is if your waiting for an interview is anything like mine, check multiple times every day.  Morning and Afternoon.  We have been trying for a little over three weeks now and we tried first thing in the morning and later in the evening everyday for the first few weeks.  During that time it only opened up one Friday and I had checked that morning, saw nothing and then went back to work.  Later that evening I saw on this forum that dates opened up that day around 10am and then were no longer there around 9pm.  It was just one day in three weeks I heard there were any dates.  So it was very disheartening but now I check almost every hour because I do not want to miss one again.  I might be overdoing but I thought I would just let you know my experience so far and maybe it could help you.  

Good luck! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

Got our NOA2 dated July 24th. Following this thread, and currently disheartened by the wait times the previous set of filers are experiencing. 

Same, originally I was hopeful for a fall interview but now it looks like we’ll be lucky if we get one in November. Might be a blessing in disguise in our case, since we are living in Canada together and now that we have NOA2, I (the petitioner) am about to start the process finding a new job back home and hopefully having everything lined up before the interview. But I still want it to go fast because I am impatient!! 😂 

Timeline

The thought of driving or flying to Montreal -- twice! -- in December/January weather is probably the most unappealing thing about it. 😝

Timeline
3 hours ago, skipperdee said:

Haha so true! We live in Montreal and were definitely hoping to be out of here before the snow arrives!!

Lmao, living in Ottawa my whole life can totally relate, in warm sunny florida now >:)

14 hours ago, skipperdee said:

Starting this thread for those of us headed to Montreal to interview...

When should we start DS-160? Does it require the case number from NVC?

i believe you can start ds-160 any time but you need to submit it once you get notification that your 'ready' status then submit it with packet 3 to mtl consulate

Timeline
8 minutes ago, purem4g1c said:

i believe you can start ds-160 any time but you need to submit it once you get notification that your 'ready' status then submit it with packet 3 to mtl consulate

Ok so we just can’t finish/submit it until our file has arrived at the consulate and we have a ready status?

Edited by skipperdee

Timeline
11 minutes ago, skipperdee said:

Ok so we just can’t finish/submit it until our file has arrived at the consulate and we have a ready status?

Yeah, I submitted it on the first "ready" some people wait until the second, depends on who is checking your case. After submitted give Montreal consulate your case number you get after completing it on the DS-160 website and they give you Packet 4 shortly after.

3 hours ago, purem4g1c said:

Lmao, living in Ottawa my whole life can totally relate, in warm sunny florida now >:)

You can submit the DS-160 any time you want. Don't have to wait for any CEAC status changes. All you need is your MTL number to start filling it. Can submit it the same day you get your case # if you want. 

You just submit your ds160 completion receipt with P3.

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Interview 3/27/2019 (Approved)
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:
Filed I-485, I-131, I-765 6/21/2019

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

EAD/AP Approved 11/12/2019

Interview 2/20/2020 (Approved pending missing medical)
Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022
Text message received 2/22/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022
Biometrics Waved 3/28/2022

Timeline
On 8/8/2019 at 9:35 PM, skipperdee said:

Starting this thread for those of us headed to Montreal to interview...

When should we start DS-160? Does it require the case number from NVC?

I called and got my case number and immediately filed my DS-160. Quite a simple, yet long form. 

I was told by the agent who gave me my case number that no further action is necessary until I hear from Montreal. 

Fingers crossed I’m doing this properly 😊

Timeline

We just got our NOA2! I was wondering if it is vital to update your e-mail with the NVC as suggested in the post? Is this the only way I (the beneficiary) will receive P3, case number etc.? Is it better to call them? At what point can I begin using the CEAC website? 

Thanks! 🙂 

Timeline

You can verify your email address with NVC when you call them to get your case number should you wish not to wait for it in the mail, about 2+ weeks after NOA2 you can start calling.  Once you have your case or MTL number, you can use the CEAC website to wait for a "READY" status or to keep tabs on the process.

Timeline
On 8/11/2019 at 5:48 PM, klgck said:

We just got our NOA2! I was wondering if it is vital to update your e-mail with the NVC as suggested in the post? Is this the only way I (the beneficiary) will receive P3, case number etc.? Is it better to call them? At what point can I begin using the CEAC website? 

Thanks! 🙂 

I (the petitioner) didn't call or take any follow-up action with the NVC and I received an email notification containing an attachment saying my petition was forwarded to the US embassy. It included a case number, USCIS Receipt Number, and a link to http://nvc.state.gov/kr to "learn how to apply for a K visa and prepare for the visa interview". My beneficiary also received this letter at her Canadian mailing address. Packet 3 arrived at her Canadian mailing address about a week or two later. 

To answer OP, I filed DS-160 as soon as I received packet 3. You've never received any notification about DS-160 before packet 3 so not sure why you would file before then (but apparently it may not really matter). 

Edited by ScooterJones

Timeline
6 hours ago, ScooterJones said:

I (the petitioner) didn't call or take any follow-up action with the NVC and I received an email notification containing an attachment saying my petition was forwarded to the US embassy. It included a case number, USCIS Receipt Number, and a link to http://nvc.state.gov/kr to "learn how to apply for a K visa and prepare for the visa interview". My beneficiary also received this letter at her Canadian mailing address. Packet 3 arrived at her Canadian mailing address about a week or two later. 

To answer OP, I filed DS-160 as soon as I received packet 3. You've never received any notification about DS-160 before packet 3 so not sure why you would file before then (but apparently it may not really matter). 

THANK YOU, this is exactly the information I've been looking for. Posters here tend to jump straight into talk of emails and packets, and that has always left me (a beneficiary) wondering who gets contacted and when, how they were contacted, and how exactly anybody knows what to do next! For someone like me who's fixated on doing exactly the right thing at every step of this process (I know, I know ... chill out, haha), it's anxiety-inducing. 😧

Edited by Thrillhouse

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.