skipperdee

K1 Filers - July / August NOA2 - Montreal

523 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
58 minutes ago, ScooterJones said:

Is there a hotel extremely close to the interview spot that you guys are all staying in? Just curious as I want to find a place very close. 

There's a listing near the bottom of this page. A little time with that and Google Maps should give you a good idea of where you'd prefer to stay.

My question for the day: can someone give me the "Explain Like I'm Five" explanation of the expiry date on the NOA2? Ours is dated July 24th and is "valid" until November 24th. However, seeing all the talk here of how late interviews are being held is making me antsy and I fully expect to not get an interview until December or even January. Is this the date by which the petition has to be sent to Montreal, with the interview to follow? Does the interview need to happen by this date? 🤔

Edited by Thrillhouse

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Thrillhouse said:

My question for the day: can someone give me the "Explain Like I'm Five" explanation of the expiry date on the NOA2? Ours is dated July 24th and is "valid" until November 24th. However, seeing all the talk here of how late interviews are being held is making me antsy and I fully expect to not get an interview until December or even January. Is this the date by which the petition has to be sent to Montreal, with the interview to follow? Does the interview need to happen by this date? 🤔

From my research, the Embassy will extend it during the interview, if you interview date is pass the expiry date..  Ours expire on November 12th.  Was hoping to get an interview date in Oct, but they are all full before our file left NVC,  in transit today.  Hopefully we can get a date early enough in November when they open up.  Or someone cancels in October...

Edited by CON

Timeline

Hey everyone! So we got our NOA2 August 3, do you think it's too soon to check in for a case number? I'm in limbo with calling and just waiting for my fiance to receive the letter in the mail or an email regarding the next steps. Thanks! 

Edited by klgck

Timeline

Our NOA2 was dated July 24th, and as of Aug 13th, hadn't yet been received by NVC. A week later, however, we had a case number. 

It doesn't hurt to call. If they don't have your case yet, they'll probably have it soon(-ish).

Timeline
1 hour ago, Thrillhouse said:

Our NOA2 was dated July 24th, and as of Aug 13th, hadn't yet been received by NVC. A week later, however, we had a case number. 

It doesn't hurt to call. If they don't have your case yet, they'll probably have it soon(-ish).

Oh perfect, thank you! Did you call to get yours and/or have you received any mail or email? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, klgck said:

Oh perfect, thank you! Did you call to get yours and/or have you received any mail or email? 

I called (the -0888 number, not the -0700 one), told them I had a K1 in process and was wondering if my case had made it to NVC yet. They checked based on my receipt #, then gave me the MTL case # and took my email address. I haven't had any other communication from them -- no email or letter. As of today, my case seems to still be at NVC (as per CEAC website), so it's probably not going to be shipped to Montreal until at least Sept. 3rd.

Timeline

DS-160 does not need the MTL case#. There's no field that requires it. You need the USCIS receipt number, however, when you fill out this form. 

You can also fill it out and submit it at anytime. We submitted ours when our case when to "In Transit" from NVC to Montreal.

Furthermore, I called NVC on this and this information is confirmed, linkage of two DS-160 can be done when we register in the https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/iv/signup/iv website wherein you'll be asked if someone else is travelling with you. In our case, I didn't create my son's DS-160 from the "Thank You" page of the DS-160 submission page where you can click on Family or Group application. So we were worried that we might have two different interview dates and we have to do new DS-160s and do the family application. But there's a way to it so no worries for now.

Timeline
On 8/20/2019 at 2:22 PM, Thrillhouse said:

There's a listing near the bottom of this page. A little time with that and Google Maps should give you a good idea of where you'd prefer to stay.

From the US website FAQ:

My Petition Expired – Can It Be Extended?

The I-129F petition is valid for four months from the date of approval by USCIS. A consular officer can extend the validity of the petition if it expires before visa processing is completed.

Timeline
On 8/20/2019 at 1:22 PM, Thrillhouse said:

Wow... I just now noticed that. Ours is definitely going to be expired by the first available interview date... Hopefully that will not be an issue. There was only one interview date for the rest of the year when I booked mine. Does anyone know if you can reschedule to an earlier date if a date becomes available?

Edited by ScooterJones

Timeline
8 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

I called (the -0888 number, not the -0700 one), told them I had a K1 in process and was wondering if my case had made it to NVC yet. They checked based on my receipt #, then gave me the MTL case # and took my email address. I haven't had any other communication from them -- no email or letter. As of today, my case seems to still be at NVC (as per CEAC website), so it's probably not going to be shipped to Montreal until at least Sept. 3rd.

Good to know. Maybe I'll give them a call next week! Can you only use the CEAC website once you've received your MTL number or at any point in time? 

Timeline
5 hours ago, wingman23 said:

DS-160 does not need the MTL case#. There's no field that requires it. You need the USCIS receipt number, however, when you fill out this form. 

You can also fill it out and submit it at anytime. We submitted ours when our case when to "In Transit" from NVC to Montreal.

Furthermore, I called NVC on this and this information is confirmed, linkage of two DS-160 can be done when we register in the https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/iv/signup/iv website wherein you'll be asked if someone else is travelling with you. In our case, I didn't create my son's DS-160 from the "Thank You" page of the DS-160 submission page where you can click on Family or Group application. So we were worried that we might have two different interview dates and we have to do new DS-160s and do the family application. But there's a way to it so no worries for now.

Oh I didn't know that! I may as well get started on that. Thanks so much, wishing you the best 🙂

Timeline
8 hours ago, klgck said:

Good to know. Maybe I'll give them a call next week! Can you only use the CEAC website once you've received your MTL number or at any point in time? 

Only once you have your MTL#, and be sure to select IMMIGRANT visa from the drop-down.

Timeline
9 hours ago, klgck said:

CEAC website has two purposes for me - checking the status of the application and filling up form DS-160.

You can ONLY check the status of your application if you have the MTL# .

You can proceed and fill out DS-160 without the MTL#.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

Only once you have your MTL#, and be sure to select IMMIGRANT visa from the drop-down.

2 hours ago, wingman23 said:

CEAC website has two purposes for me - checking the status of the application and filling up form DS-160.

You can ONLY check the status of your application if you have the MTL# .

You can proceed and fill out DS-160 without the MTL#.

You two are the best, thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.