Jump to content
AidRam

K1 visa or K3 visa

20 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Can someone tell me please if a k1 visa would take less time than if i marry my fiancé overseas and then bring him to USA through a k3 visa? Or does it take the same time? Anybody knows about the process please.? Thank you in advanced to everyone. 

 

Edited by AidRam
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AidRam said:

Can someone tell me please if a k1 visa would take less time than if i marry my fiancé overseas and then bring him to USA through a k3 visa? Or does it take the same time? Anybody knows about the process please.? Thank you in advanced to everyone. 

 

K3 is not really an option.   Only a handful of k3s have been issued in the past year.   


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, AidRam said:

Can someone tell me please if a k1 visa would take less time than if i marry my fiancé overseas and then bring him to USA through a k3 visa? Or does it take the same time? Anybody knows about the process please.? Thank you in advanced to everyone. 

 

K-3 is basically dead, those that use it are converted to the IR/CR-1 .   If you married and brought your spouse to the USA you would use the IR/CR-1 visa  I-130.

 

Comparing the K-1 to the IR/CR-1 , the IR/CR-1 takes a little longer, but is cheaper and your spouse will get the green card in the mail shortly after arriving.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

      HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy  : Click Here

 

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

K-3 is basically dead, those that use it are converted to the IR/CR-1 .   If you married and brought your spouse to the USA you would use the IR/CR-1 visa  I-130.

 

Comparing the K-1 to the IR/CR-1 , the IR/CR-1 takes a little longer, but is cheaper and your spouse will get the green card in the mail shortly after arriving.

Do you happen to have an idea of the how long it takes.? I know for k1 is around 6-8 months. Thank you Hank. 🙏🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AidRam said:

Do you happen to have an idea of the how long it takes.? I know for k1 is around 6-8 months. Thank you Hank. 🙏🏻

12 to 14 months, typically 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, AidRam said:

Do you happen to have an idea of the how long it takes.? I know for k1 is around 6-8 months. Thank you Hank. 🙏🏻

There are reasons that many, many people believe the CR-1 is superior:

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US (currently about 5 months sooner)    
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

  

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US (currently about 5 months later)

    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �


 

Edited by missileman

                    "What I am to be, I am now becoming"-  Benjamin Franklin     

   :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AidRam said:

Do you happen to have an idea of the how long it takes.? I know for k1 is around 6-8 months. Thank you Hank. 🙏🏻

Big part of how long is USCIS and the petition process < this is the same for either visa type.   The CR-1 visa makes a longer stop at NVC to complete AOS before heading to the embassy.   Overall I would say the CR-1 visa is maybe 2-3 months longer .. but your spouse receives a green card after arrival, whereas with the K-1 you have to hurry get married the jump through more hoops to complete Adjustment of Status < and that has been taking upwards of a year lately .. just to get the green card.  

 

Smarter move .. CR-1


Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

      HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy  : Click Here

 

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, missileman said:

There are reasons that many, many people believe the CR-1 is superior:

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US (currently about 5 months sooner)    
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

  

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US (currently about 5 months later)

    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �


 

Oh my god thank you for your attention to answer to my question in detail. I really appreciate it. One last question. Can i do the process my self if i decide for the CR-1.? I don’t have the money to pay for a lawyer. Thank you 🤗

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

Big part of how long is USCIS and the petition process < this is the same for either visa type.   The CR-1 visa makes a longer stop at NVC to complete AOS before heading to the embassy.   Overall I would say the CR-1 visa is maybe 2-3 months longer .. but your spouse receives a green card after arrival, whereas with the K-1 you have to hurry get married the jump through more hoops to complete Adjustment of Status < and that has been taking upwards of a year lately .. just to get the green card.  

 

Smarter move .. CR-1

Thank you Hank thank you so much 🤗🤗

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AidRam said:

Oh my god thank you for your attention to answer to my question in detail. I really appreciate it. One last question. Can i do the process my self if i decide for the CR-1.? I don’t have the money to pay for a lawyer. Thank you 🤗

YES!!    The CR-1 process in not complicated.

 

This may be helpful (other sections relate to the Philippines but the petition process is the same for all) :  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/uscis-petition-process.html


Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

      HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy  : Click Here

 

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AidRam said:

Can i do the process my self if i decide for the CR-1.?

Many people here on VJ have done so....


                    "What I am to be, I am now becoming"-  Benjamin Franklin     

   :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

YES!!    The CR-1 process in not complicated.

 

This may be helpful (other sections relate to the Philippines but the petition process is the same for all) :  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/uscis-petition-process.html

I have no words how to thank you for ur help really. I appreciate this so much 🤗  ur a life saver 🤩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grape flavored  ;)  

 

image.jpeg.bf635630b089a0741da5b141ad489e67.jpeg


Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

      HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy  : Click Here

 

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

By the current averages reported by VJ users, the time from your receipt notification of your petition to your fiancee/spouse having his or her interview at the embassy/consulate is about 190 days faster (though processing times can change a lot in a relatively short period of time). And if you have met in person within the last two years but have not married (i.e. you can reasonably make a choice on this), it presumably will take at least some time to meet again, marry, and get your marriage certificate (which you'd need to start a CR-1).

 

However, as noted above, your spouse is in a much better position when he or she gets here on a CR-1. He or she is a permanent resident right away and so able to work legally, leave the country and come back without a new visa, and get a driver's license (among other things); on a K-1 this will take months (VJ average is about 6 months for temporary work authorization) or even years (green card timelines are highly variable based on your field office; some as little as 3 or 4 months, some can exceed two years). Even if you expect your fiance(e) to not work outside the home (you're retired, you have small children, you have a very high income, etc.) and you have no plans for international travel in the short term the restrictions on a K-1 beneficiary prior to EAD (temporary work authorization)/AP (temporary travel authorization) or green card (permanent residence) can be very frustrating.

Edited by DaveAndAnastasia

K-1                             AOS
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28
Interview date: 2019-02-14
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AP in this case will add a bit.


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...