USA the best

K1 visa or K3 visa

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline
1 hour ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

By the current averages reported by VJ users, the time from your receipt notification of your petition to your fiancee/spouse having his or her interview at the embassy/consulate is about 190 days faster (though processing times can change a lot in a relatively short period of time). And if you have met in person within the last two years but have not married (i.e. you can reasonably make a choice on this), it presumably will take at least some time to meet again, marry, and get your marriage certificate (which you'd need to start a CR-1).

However, as noted above, your spouse is in a much better position when he or she gets here on a CR-1. He or she is a permanent resident right away and so able to work legally, leave the country and come back without a new visa, and get a driver's license (among other things); on a K-1 this will take months (VJ average is about 6 months for temporary work authorization) or even years (green card timelines are highly variable based on your field office; some as little as 3 or 4 months, some can exceed two years). Even if you expect your fiance(e) to not work outside the home (you're retired, you have small children, you have a very high income, etc.) and you have no plans for international travel in the short term the restrictions on a K-1 beneficiary prior to EAD (temporary work authorization)/AP (temporary travel authorization) or green card (permanent residence) can be very frustrating.

Thank you so much Dave i will utilize ur information as i think iwill go for the CR-1 instead of the k1. So far i have more recommendations on this one. Thankbyou much again 🤩🤩

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
8 hours ago, AidRam said:

Do you happen to have an idea of the how long it takes.? I know for k1 is around 6-8 months. Thank you Hank. 🙏🏻

K1 is taking a lot longer than 6 to 8 months

many are waiting for months to get an interview after the packet is sent to embassy 

the CR1 for spouse has so many advantages but before you think to do either of these check out the poverty guidelines to know your income will meet the requirments

also check the guides above to see the steps for both processes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If the beneficiary is in Tunisia, be prepared for extra scrutiny of your relationship, and make sure you spend as much time together as you can and submit evidence of this face time when filing the petition.  Northern Africa is considered a high-fraud region so evidence of in-person time is critical for visa approval.  And don't get married on the first visit to meet each other.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

*~*~*moved from “K-1 fiancé visa process and procedures” to “what visa do I need” as OP is still considering the options*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

What @missileman said 👍

and

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.