26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just for clarification. You arrived in the US five weeks ago and your wife is 32 weeks pregnant. What did you tell the officer at Immigration your intention was when you entered the country? 

4 minutes ago, Nat&Amy said:

Just for clarification. You arrived in the US five weeks ago and your wife is 32 weeks pregnant. What did you tell the officer at Immigration your intention was when you entered the country? 

Doesn't matter at this point.  His wife is a USC and she can have her baby in the USA. His intent on entry may have been just to do that and go back to Oz.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
2 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Doesn't matter at this point.  His wife is a USC and she can have her baby in the USA. His intent on entry may have been just to do that and go back to Oz.  

You might be right, and in the end it might not matter. But we have seen intent be brought up to other applicants during their interview, so it doesn't hurt to ask. 

Intent alone is not a reason for AOS to be denied. What was said at POE can be if it was a material misrepresentation. Although nothing noted ITT implies there was a material misrep.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
18 hours ago, TJF said:
  19 hours ago, TJF said:

Our evidence at the moment is a marriage certificate, the australian joint bank account, documents provided by a midwife in the UK showing that we are expecting a child together, a selection of about 20 photographs showing our relationship together for the last 19 months across 5 countries.

Passport stamps?  Boarding passes?  Hotel receipts?

Timeline
2 hours ago, geowrian said:

Intent alone is not a reason for AOS to be denied. What was said at POE can be if it was a material misrepresentation. Although nothing noted ITT implies there was a material misrep.

OP came to the US on a temporary visa with plans to stay to be with wife and child - this was made clear in their first post. My original understanding was that the pregnancy had been found out while they were in the States but that's not the case. Could there be a material misrepresentation here? Maybe. That's why I asked what the OP said his intention was at POE.

9 minutes ago, Nat&Amy said:

OP came to the US on a temporary visa with plans to stay to be with wife and child - this was made clear in their first post. My original understanding was that the pregnancy had been found out while they were in the States but that's not the case. Could there be a material misrepresentation here? Maybe. That's why I asked what the OP said his intention was at POE.

They came on the VWP, not a visa. This is both a distinction and possibly a difference when it comes to AOS.

I don’t see where they said came to the US with intent to stay. They said they decided to have the baby in the US. You’re reading a bit further into it than what was stated.

But yes, if they came to the US with intent to stay then it would have been done fraudulently. If misreps were made at POE then it could be an issue. But I stand by that no such implications were made ITT.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 hours ago, geowrian said:

They came on the VWP, not a visa. This is both a distinction and possibly a difference when it comes to AOS.

I don’t see where they said came to the US with intent to stay. They said they decided to have the baby in the US. You’re reading a bit further into it than what was stated.

But yes, if they came to the US with intent to stay then it would have been done fraudulently. If misreps were made at POE then it could be an issue. But I stand by that no such implications were made ITT.

OP mentioned they recently found out that wife was pregnant and her due date is September 29th already so she is very far along and his Esta authorized stay ends beginning of October, so they either found out very late that she was pregnant or there was some coincidence in the timing of it all. I also wondered what was said at POE.. 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Filed: Other Timeline
1 hour ago, Daphne K said:

OP mentioned they recently found out that wife was pregnant and her due date is September 29th already so she is very far along and his Esta authorized stay ends beginning of October, so they either found out very late that she was pregnant or there was some coincidence in the timing of it all. I also wondered what was said at POE.. 

I am curious, as well. Finding out at 8 months you're pregnant is not unheard of, but with the totality of the situation it sounds skeptical. Nonetheless, I wish OP the best on their journey.

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

On 8/7/2019 at 6:03 AM, Nat&Amy said:

POE was sticky, but at that stage we had only recently found out that we were expecting a baby (we found out on June 1st which was 22 weeks into the pregnancy), as we told the officer that I was planning on going back to Australia. The officer may have taken pity on us and our situation, my wife and I didn't really lie and told the officer that we had only just found out about our pregnancy, and the fact that we weren't well-versed in immigration law seemed to help us so the officer let me in.

I have been reading that misrep and the 90 day rule is more of an issue right now. Can the fact that plans change be used to get around this?

2 hours ago, TJF said:

POE was sticky, but at that stage we had only recently found out that we were expecting a baby (we found out on June 1st which was 22 weeks into the pregnancy), as we told the officer that I was planning on going back to Australia. The officer may have taken pity on us and our situation, my wife and I didn't really lie and told the officer that we had only just found out about our pregnancy, and the fact that we weren't well-versed in immigration law seemed to help us so the officer let me in.

I have been reading that misrep and the 90 day rule is more of an issue right now. Can the fact that plans change be used to get around this?

You were very lucky and he trusted you on your word! At POE, Immigration intent gets decided and he let you in so that is good,

So if the plans changed and you worry that this might become an issue later on in your process, I would keep evidence of how you had to take care of the things back home. 

- If you had a job, you must have informed your boss that you would not return to work (this would have been done in an e-mail I think?) 

- If you rented a house you would have informed your landlord that you would not return from your trip.

- Etc.

I am not saying that you will have an issue later on in the process but you could keep records of all your actions that were needed to wrap up things back home after you decided to stay in the US if that will help you feel a little bit more at ease. 

Hope all goes well! 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.