miles&miles

Tips for a successful interview?

22 posts in this topic

Good morning everyone. 

My fiance's interview is tomorrow and she has the tendency to ramble when under pressure or to just talk a lot and I'm kind of afraid for her as the embassy I'd assume wants very cut & dry responses most of the time. 

What are some tips to deliver concise yet informative answers? How can she be successful in her interview? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I would advice her to be naturally herself.......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
48 minutes ago, miles&miles said:

Good morning everyone. 

My fiance's interview is tomorrow and she has the tendency to ramble when under pressure or to just talk a lot and I'm kind of afraid for her as the embassy I'd assume wants very cut & dry responses most of the time. 

What are some tips to deliver concise yet informative answers? How can she be successful in her interview? 

Don’t make it worse by scripting her interview for her

5 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Don’t make it worse by scripting her interview for her

I'm sorry I have to disagree with you. HE has an investment in this relationship and as much as he can contribute he wants to. He is not changing her character, just wants the interview to be successful for the two of them. JMHO.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
Just now, Greenbaum said:

I'm sorry I have to disagree with you. HE has an investment in this relationship and as much as he can contribute he wants to. He is not changing her character, just wants the interview to be successful for the two of them. JMHO.

Sounds like more pressure is the right way to go.  Excellent advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

not sure for costa Rica this is a problem

but for some embassys it is best to just answer short and honestly

do not go into detail unless asked to explain more fully

Timeline
1 hour ago, miles&miles said:

Good morning everyone. 

There are many interview reviews here.  I’ve attended 3 myself.  Interviews last less than a half hour.  80% of the interview is getting the paperwork organized, 20% involves questions pulled from the file in front of the IO.  Those questions for the most part focus on relationship milestones.  When/how you met.  How do you keep in touch.  Proposal - when/how/where.  Plans after US entry.  Questions that have clear answers.  That’s all.  Straightforward relationships with clean files sail through and the questions aren’t worded so that the interviewee has enough time to wander into the weeds.  IO will cut that off and re-steer to the original question.  

They dont have or allow time for rambling.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Interviews are 3-5 minutes in our neck of the woods.   No time to wander off course

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 hour ago, Greenbaum said:

Thank you very much! Yes, I just want to help her out as best as possible by playing interview scenarios and whatnot since I won't be able to be there for her, they even allow for immediate relatives to be there with the applicant and I know that she will be feeling very sad by seeing how other couples are together in there while she's alone, so I want to be in this for her as much I can. 

1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

There are many interview reviews here.  I’ve attended 3 myself.  Interviews last less than a half hour.  80% of the interview is getting the paperwork organized, 20% involves questions pulled from the file in front of the IO.  Those questions for the most part focus on relationship milestones.  When/how you met.  How do you keep in touch.  Proposal - when/how/where.  Plans after US entry.  Questions that have clear answers.  That’s all.  Straightforward relationships with clean files sail through and the questions aren’t worded so that the interviewee has enough time to wander into the weeds.  IO will cut that off and re-steer to the original question.  

They dont have or allow time for rambling.

Thank you for the answer. 

I'm glad to hear that this is the case as our relationship has been very straightforward, no kids, no marriages, 1 year difference, left it very clear in our application that marriage is something pretty much sacred like to us and that we intent for this to be our 1st and only marriage in our lives since we chose each other for a reason, proposed on the 2nd visit and she has tons of evidence to demonstrate that we talk everyday one way or another, our Skype calls usually go for 4h or longer, etc. 

I just hope that they understand that our 2 visits of one 1 week each were due to job limitations for the both of us. 

When you say that the questions are pulled from the file, does the CO have access to our original packet? I thought that the applicant had to bring in our whole packet that we sent to the interview in case they wanted to see anything related to that? If so, then that's wonderful because we front loaded like crazy lol. 

Edited by miles&miles

Timeline
28 minutes ago, miles&miles said:

Thank you for the answer. 

I'm glad to hear that this is the case as our relationship has been very straightforward, no kids, no marriages, 1 year difference, left it very clear in our application that marriage is something pretty much sacred like to us and that we intent for this to be our 1st and only marriage in our lives since we chose each other for a reason, proposed on the 2nd visit and she has tons of evidence to demonstrate that we talk everyday one way or another, our Skype calls usually go for 4h or longer, etc. 

I just hope that they understand that our 2 visits of one 1 week each were due to job limitations for the both of us. 

When you say that the questions are pulled from the file, does the CO have access to our original packet? I thought that the applicant had to bring in our whole packet that we sent to the interview in case they wanted to see anything related to that? If so, then that's wonderful because we front loaded like crazy lol. 

Quick interview feedback.  That’s babbling.

Drill time

Two important sentences here.  

He proposed on the second visit.  One more sentence allowed to provide location and circumstance.

Because of vacation and work you have visited each other twice.  One more sentence allowed to summarize time/date/circumstance.

From the tons of evidence:  “here’s the itinerary / ticket stubs / passport stamps / couple of photos for visit A and the same for visit B.”  Smart way?   Handed over with the left hand.  The one with the ring.  One sentence, two little packs of critical info.  Next question.  See how it works?  

The process is NOT hostile.  It is NOT an interrogation.  Unless the interviewee comes across as nervous, stuttering, babbling, unable to answer basic milestone questions and it can turn south.  

It is critical that you calm down and you calm that girl down.  Your case seems like a simple, straightforward fiance visa.  She needs to walk in there with full confidence that you, and she, has done all that can be done and has done it correctly.

Best of luck to both of you.

1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

It is critical that you calm down and you calm that girl down.  Your case seems like a simple, straightforward fiance visa.  She needs to walk in there with full confidence that you, and she, has done all that can be done and has done it correctly.

Best of luck to both of you.

So just to clarify, she will indeed need to print off our entire packet because they don't have it in the system? We didn't make a copy of it and all passport stamps, pictures of us, family & friends together, etc. were all sent off with the original application.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.