Jump to content
miles&miles

Tips for a successful interview?

22 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Good morning everyone. 

My fiance's interview is tomorrow and she has the tendency to ramble when under pressure or to just talk a lot and I'm kind of afraid for her as the embassy I'd assume wants very cut & dry responses most of the time. 

What are some tips to deliver concise yet informative answers? How can she be successful in her interview? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would advice her to be naturally herself.......


                    "What I am to be, I am now becoming"-  Benjamin Franklin     

   :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Success at the interview.   Answer the questions honestly ~


Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

      HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy  : Click Here

 

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, miles&miles said:

Good morning everyone. 

My fiance's interview is tomorrow and she has the tendency to ramble when under pressure or to just talk a lot and I'm kind of afraid for her as the embassy I'd assume wants very cut & dry responses most of the time. 

What are some tips to deliver concise yet informative answers? How can she be successful in her interview? 

Don’t make it worse by scripting her interview for her

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Don’t make it worse by scripting her interview for her

I'm sorry I have to disagree with you. HE has an investment in this relationship and as much as he can contribute he wants to. He is not changing her character, just wants the interview to be successful for the two of them. JMHO.


Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Greenbaum said:

I'm sorry I have to disagree with you. HE has an investment in this relationship and as much as he can contribute he wants to. He is not changing her character, just wants the interview to be successful for the two of them. JMHO.

Sounds like more pressure is the right way to go.  Excellent advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, miles&miles said:

Good morning everyone. 

My fiance's interview is tomorrow and she has the tendency to ramble when under pressure or to just talk a lot and I'm kind of afraid for her as the embassy I'd assume wants very cut & dry responses most of the time. 

What are some tips to deliver concise yet informative answers? How can she be successful in her interview? 

There are many interview reviews here.  I’ve attended 3 myself.  Interviews last less than a half hour.  80% of the interview is getting the paperwork organized, 20% involves questions pulled from the file in front of the IO.  Those questions for the most part focus on relationship milestones.  When/how you met.  How do you keep in touch.  Proposal - when/how/where.  Plans after US entry.  Questions that have clear answers.  That’s all.  Straightforward relationships with clean files sail through and the questions aren’t worded so that the interviewee has enough time to wander into the weeds.  IO will cut that off and re-steer to the original question.  

They dont have or allow time for rambling.

Edited by Nitas_man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Interviews are 3-5 minutes in our neck of the woods.   No time to wander off course

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

      HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy  : Click Here

 

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greenbaum said:

I'm sorry I have to disagree with you. HE has an investment in this relationship and as much as he can contribute he wants to. He is not changing her character, just wants the interview to be successful for the two of them. JMHO.

Thank you very much! Yes, I just want to help her out as best as possible by playing interview scenarios and whatnot since I won't be able to be there for her, they even allow for immediate relatives to be there with the applicant and I know that she will be feeling very sad by seeing how other couples are together in there while she's alone, so I want to be in this for her as much I can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

There are many interview reviews here.  I’ve attended 3 myself.  Interviews last less than a half hour.  80% of the interview is getting the paperwork organized, 20% involves questions pulled from the file in front of the IO.  Those questions for the most part focus on relationship milestones.  When/how you met.  How do you keep in touch.  Proposal - when/how/where.  Plans after US entry.  Questions that have clear answers.  That’s all.  Straightforward relationships with clean files sail through and the questions aren’t worded so that the interviewee has enough time to wander into the weeds.  IO will cut that off and re-steer to the original question.  

They dont have or allow time for rambling.

Thank you for the answer. 

I'm glad to hear that this is the case as our relationship has been very straightforward, no kids, no marriages, 1 year difference, left it very clear in our application that marriage is something pretty much sacred like to us and that we intent for this to be our 1st and only marriage in our lives since we chose each other for a reason, proposed on the 2nd visit and she has tons of evidence to demonstrate that we talk everyday one way or another, our Skype calls usually go for 4h or longer, etc. 

I just hope that they understand that our 2 visits of one 1 week each were due to job limitations for the both of us. 

When you say that the questions are pulled from the file, does the CO have access to our original packet? I thought that the applicant had to bring in our whole packet that we sent to the interview in case they wanted to see anything related to that? If so, then that's wonderful because we front loaded like crazy lol. 

Edited by miles&miles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, miles&miles said:

Thank you for the answer. 

I'm glad to hear that this is the case as our relationship has been very straightforward, no kids, no marriages, 1 year difference, left it very clear in our application that marriage is something pretty much sacred like to us and that we intent for this to be our 1st and only marriage in our lives since we chose each other for a reason, proposed on the 2nd visit and she has tons of evidence to demonstrate that we talk everyday one way or another, our Skype calls usually go for 4h or longer, etc. 

I just hope that they understand that our 2 visits of one 1 week each were due to job limitations for the both of us. 

When you say that the questions are pulled from the file, does the CO have access to our original packet? I thought that the applicant had to bring in our whole packet that we sent to the interview in case they wanted to see anything related to that? If so, then that's wonderful because we front loaded like crazy lol. 

 

Quick interview feedback.  That’s babbling.

 

Drill time

 

Two important sentences here.  

 

He proposed on the second visit.  One more sentence allowed to provide location and circumstance.

 

Because of vacation and work you have visited each other twice.  One more sentence allowed to summarize time/date/circumstance.

 

From the tons of evidence:  “here’s the itinerary / ticket stubs / passport stamps / couple of photos for visit A and the same for visit B.”  Smart way?   Handed over with the left hand.  The one with the ring.  One sentence, two little packs of critical info.  Next question.  See how it works?  

 

The process is NOT hostile.  It is NOT an interrogation.  Unless the interviewee comes across as nervous, stuttering, babbling, unable to answer basic milestone questions and it can turn south.  

 

It is critical that you calm down and you calm that girl down.  Your case seems like a simple, straightforward fiance visa.  She needs to walk in there with full confidence that you, and she, has done all that can be done and has done it correctly.

 

Best of luck to both of you.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

It is critical that you calm down and you calm that girl down.  Your case seems like a simple, straightforward fiance visa.  She needs to walk in there with full confidence that you, and she, has done all that can be done and has done it correctly.

 

Best of luck to both of you.

 

 

 

So just to clarify, she will indeed need to print off our entire packet because they don't have it in the system? We didn't make a copy of it and all passport stamps, pictures of us, family & friends together, etc. were all sent off with the original application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...