Stoopey

E2 Visa - How can my partner work?

21 posts in this topic

Hi All!

First time on the forums and they seem friendly and informative :)

Apologies in advance if this has been asked already but I couldn't find it earlier.

I am moving to the USA (Boston) in 5 weeks on an E2 visa with my company, and my girlfriend will be joining me a month or so later.

She has a B2 visa valid for another 6 years, but seeing as she will be staying there with me, we'd like to find a way for her to work. If not, I know she can only stay for 3 month periods at a time.

Can anyone tell me:

- Can she jump on my E2 visa as a spouse without us being married? (I know different people have different interpretations of the word spouse)

- How likely/easy is it that she can successfully apply for a change of visa status? 

- Is there anything else I/she can do to get her the right to work in the USA?

I am a UK citizen and she is a Polish citizen with a law degree if that helps.

Thanks! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Stoopey said:

Hi All!

First time on the forums and they seem friendly and informative :)

Apologies in advance if this has been asked already but I couldn't find it earlier.

I am moving to the USA (Boston) in 5 weeks on an E2 visa with my company, and my girlfriend will be joining me a month or so later.

She has a B2 visa valid for another 6 years, but seeing as she will be staying there with me, we'd like to find a way for her to work. If not, I know she can only stay for 3 month periods at a time.

Can anyone tell me:

- Can she jump on my E2 visa as a spouse without us being married? (I know different people have different interpretations of the word spouse)

No, unless she is a legalized recognized spouse with a valid marriage certificate to you, there is no path.

- How likely/easy is it that she can successfully apply for a change of visa status? 

Not very, for an employment based visa, she would need to find a company or firm willing to sponsor her for an employment based visa.  Apart from legally marrying her, no real option on the family based side either given the information you presented.

- Is there anything else I/she can do to get her the right to work in the USA?

There really aren't US based visas for girlfriends/boyfriends.  You may look into student based visas though.  I am no expert on those, but there may be a chance she can go to school full-time and have some ability to work legally.

Thanks! 

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I agree with the others.  Either marriage or a valid work visa.  At all costs, she should not overstay her B2 visa.  That wold lead to serious consequences down the line...

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

To add, if she comes in too frequently on a B visa she will likely get the visa revoked at some stage, which will make another non-immigrant visa very difficult to get. The unofficial rule of thumb for those on visit status is twice as long out than in, so if she visits you for 3 months at a time she should plan on 6-month intervals between those visits. Arriving for 3 months with no real evidence of ties back home could be risky in itself too. Visas do not guarantee entry. 

US does not recognize common law spouses for immigration/visa purposes. You would need to be legally married for a derivative visa. 

2 hours ago, Unlockable said:

You and her will need to have a serious talk and make some big decisions. Because she will not be able to do any of the things you are asking about without a qualified US citizen or resident to help her. A qualified person is a spouse, not a mate or partner.

She can't work on a B2, it is illegal and people get deported for it.

She can't live in the US on a B2. If she comes and stays too long she will be at jeopardy of having her B2 revoked.

She can't "jump on your E2 as a spouse without being married". That is fraud. And in this current climate with the government cracking down on immigration, the easy way to lose a visa is to commit fraud.

She can't change status unless she is married to a US citizen. You will not be a US citizen so that option is out.

The only options is for her to obtain her on work visa or you two get married. Other than that, you will just have to have a long distance relationship. This is why I say it is time to have a talk and make a decisions. Immigration is about huge sacrifices. We all on here have made them.

Thanks everyone for the response.

I wasn't clear earlier - I fully know she cannot work on the B2 and she won't be looking to.

She will only stay on her B2 for up to 3 months, then return home, and then aim to come back again after 5-6 weeks.

Thanks 

10 minutes ago, Stoopey said:

I wasn't clear earlier - I fully know she cannot work on the B2 and she won't be looking to.

She will only stay on her B2 for up to 3 months, then return home, and then aim to come back again after 5-6 weeks.

Thanks 

That’s not going to work, ref my previous post. If she keeps coming back in (or trying to) after short periods out she clearly has no ties home, will be seen to be abusing her B visa and have it revoked under 214b. That will make any future B or other non-immigrant visa extremely difficult to get, for years.

Edited by SusieQQQ

She should also bear in mind that a potential denial of entry to the US can affect other future visa applications/electronic travel authorizations. Canada asks if visas or entry have ever been denied anywhere, as an example. Australia asks a similar question.  So does the UK, which may matter for her in a post-Brexit world.

Edited by SusieQQQ

11 minutes ago, Stoopey said:

Thanks 

She is basically hoping she will be able to do that.

To add to @SusieQQQ reply, she may not even be allowed back in by the border agent. They keep track of all the entries a person makes and if there is a pattern, they deny entry. Not only that, the 3 months she wants to have here is not her decision. It is the border agent he determines how long a person stays in the US. We have seen people who wanted to stay in the US for months but the border office ended up only giving them a few weeks.

Again, there are some big decisions you and her will have to make. And the quicker you come to realize you will be separated for an undetermined amount of time the better you can adapt and plan accordingly.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Stoopey said:

Thanks 

In the US for 12 weeks...then outside the US for 6 weeks........not a good plan.......she might get away with that strategy for a short time, but when ANY border officer sees that she is trying to live in the US with a B2, her visits will cease completely.....and she cannot appeal that decision.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

15 minutes ago, missileman said:

In the US for 12 weeks...then outside the US for 6 weeks........not a good plan.......she might get away with that strategy for a short time, but when ANY border officer sees that she is trying to live in the US with a B2, her visits will cease completely.....and she cannot appeal that decision.

In all honesty if it’s just a 5-6 week break I can see her getting denied entry immediately on the second attempt. She will be questioned, clearly will not have a job back home to go, will be staying at the same address as before, will presumably be being supported by the boyfriend she is coming to visit... and as OP stated in first post, the intention will be to live, not be a tourist. 

The main options are marriage, a long distance relationship, or she finds someone to sponsor her for a work visa of her own. Maybe she can get some kind of J visa to stay in Boston for a year or so to see how it works out, but I suspect someone with a law degree would tire of being an au pair or similar. Not sure there would be much professionally-related available j-wise to a foreign law grad, but OP you/she can search J visa sponsors and see if anything looks worthwhile for her there. https://j1visa.state.gov/participants/how-to-apply/

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
8 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

In all honesty if it’s just a 5-6 week break I can see her getting denied entry immediately on the second attempt. She will be questioned, clearly will not have a job back home to go, will be staying at the same address as before, will presumably be being supported by the boyfriend she is coming to visit... and as OP stated in first post, the intention will be to live, not be a tourist. 

The main options are marriage, a long distance relationship, or she finds someone to sponsor her for a work visa of her own. Maybe she can get some kind of J visa to stay in Boston for a year or so to see how it works out, but I suspect someone with a law degree would tire of being an au pair or similar. Not sure there would be much professionally-related available j-wise to a foreign law grad, but OP you/she can search J visa sponsors and see if anything looks worthwhile for her there. https://j1visa.state.gov/participants/how-to-apply/

Agree......the plan as offered by the OP is full of risk......every visit increases the likelihood of entry denial ......

11 hours ago, Stoopey said:

Thanks 

That would mean she’s spending more time here than back home. That’s not what a tourist visa is for (living here in installments). By definition, a tourist visa is for someone who lives elsewhere and occasionally visits here, not someone who lives here and takes a trip to see their mother every three months. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

16 hours ago, Stoopey said:

Thanks! 

I’m not sure if it’s possible from Poland... but I know there is a 1 year J1 (Type of Gap Year Visa) that Aussies out of Uni in last 12 months can apply for, it enables us to work there also... 

not sure when your girlfriend got out of uni... must have studied full time for at least 1 year and have completed studies in last 12 months.. 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

16 hours ago, Stoopey said:

Can she jump on my E2 visa as a spouse without us being married?

Must marry first: https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/e-2-treaty-investors "Family of E-2 Treaty Investors and Employees"

http://e2visalawyer.net/how-to-qualify-for-e-2-visa/spouse-and-children/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.