Yarusenai

Filing I-131 with I-485 - How long does it take?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey everyone,

currently filling out all necessary forms, like my I-485 and I-765. Me and my wife are planning to travel to visit my family in early November, so I thought it would make sense to also fill out I-131 for an advance parole travel document. Online, however, I see processing times of at least 3 months, which makes me feel like there isn´t much of a point filing it, since the green card itself will probably take around the same time. Does anyone have experience filing these together and when did you get your travel document? Thanks!

Regards

Yaru

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Yarusenai said:

Hey everyone,

currently filling out all necessary forms, like my I-485 and I-765. Me and my wife are planning to travel to visit my family in early November, so I thought it would make sense to also fill out I-131 for an advance parole travel document. Online, however, I see processing times of at least 3 months, which makes me feel like there isn´t much of a point filing it, since the green card itself will probably take around the same time. Does anyone have experience filing these together and when did you get your travel document? Thanks!

Regards

Yaru

Depends on the local office,  some local offices are 18+ months to green card interview.  You likely won't see either before November 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Depends on the local office,  some local offices are 18+ months to green card interview 

Whew. Well, in that case I guess there is no harm in filing it since the fee is waived anyway. Better safe than sorry. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

There is no additional fee for filing the advance parole document, not sure why you wouldn't file it.  There is no way to know how long it will take to get the green card.   From what I  understand the average wait is longer than 3 months depending on your local office.  It really doesn't take that much time to fill out.  I would apply for it just in case it takes longer than you are anticipating for the green card

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Timeline
1 minute ago, agrabs said:

There is no additional fee for filing the advance parole document, not sure why you wouldn't file it.  There is no way to know how long it will take to get the green card.   From what I  understand the average wait is longer than 3 months depending on your local office.  It really doesn't take that much time to fill out.  I would apply for it just in case it takes longer than you are anticipating for the green card

Thanks! I figured. Just another question: I can also request an SSN on the employment authorization. Does that make sense or should I just go to a SS office and get it there? I am not sure how long the wait time for employment authorization is and am thinking it might be a long time before I get my SSN.

EAD is processing at 6.5 to 8.5 months at the NBC.

AP is processing at 6 to 8 months at the NBC.

I485 processing times are based on your local field office.

You can look up your LFO by inputting your zip code here:

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices

...and then once you know your LFO, you can look up the estimated processing times for your LFO for family based AOS here:

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

You would input your LFO and I485 and then scroll to the bottom and look at family based.

The AOS interview can take a few months and up to 30 months so I wouldnt plan on receiving so soon.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

21 minutes ago, Yarusenai said:

Thanks! I figured. Just another question: I can also request an SSN on the employment authorization. Does that make sense or should I just go to a SS office and get it there? I am not sure how long the wait time for employment authorization is and am thinking it might be a long time before I get my SSN.

If you are a K1 you are eligible to apply for an SSN (in your maiden name is more succesful) at your local SSA as long as your I94 has plenty of time left before expiring (more than 2 weeks). Once it expires, this option is void.

The process to apply for a K1 SSN usually takes place at week two after arrival to ensure your I94 does not expire during the SSN application process. Applying for an SSN this way is more beneficial as you can use it to open bank accounts and may need it to apply for health insurance.

Those two things are also good evidence of bonafide marriage at your AOS interview so if you did not apply for an SSN this way you may be out of luck for having either of those evidences.

If your I94 is expired you can apply on the I765 however that card will not be processed until after your EAD is approved. 

If your GC is approved first, the I765 SSN application would not process and you would have to go in person with your GC to apply for an SSN.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Timeline
11 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

If you are a K1 you are eligible to apply for an SSN (in your maiden name is more succesful) at your local SSA as long as your I94 has plenty of time left before expiring (more than 2 weeks). Once it expires, this option is void.

The process to apply for a K1 SSN usually takes place at week two after arrival to ensure your I94 does not expire during the SSN application process. Applying for an SSN this way is more beneficial as you can use it to open bank accounts and may need it to apply for health insurance.

Those two things are also good evidence of bonafide marriage at your AOS interview so if you did not apply for an SSN this way you may be out of luck for having either of those evidences.

If your I94 is expired you can apply on the I765 however that card will not be processed until after your EAD is approved. 

If your GC is approved first, the I765 SSN application would not process and you would have to go in person with your GC to apply for an SSN.

Thank you so much. I suppose it makes the most sense to just get the SSN now, then.

Timeline
Just now, Yarusenai said:

Thank you so much. I suppose it makes the most sense to just get the SSN now, then.

When did you enter?

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, Yarusenai said:

Almost two months ago, so I should still be fine, correct?

Minimum 15 days remaining on the i94 or you are not eligible 

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

Minimum 15 days remaining on the i94 or you are not eligible 

That is still fine then. I will do it early next week. Thank you!

Timeline

Actually, it may be better to just wait until I get my EAD, since the wait time for that is not nearly as long as everything else, and I don´t need an SSN until I work, anyway (my german bank account is still open for another 3 months and the green card wait time is quite a bit longer for my office), so I will just request one on the EAD.

Thank you all for your help!

Edited by Yarusenai

7 hours ago, Yarusenai said:

Actually, it may be better to just wait until I get my EAD, since the wait time for that is not nearly as long as everything else, and I don´t need an SSN until I work, anyway (my german bank account is still open for another 3 months and the green card wait time is quite a bit longer for my office), so I will just request one on the EAD.

Thank you all for your help!

You might need the SSN to be covered by your wife's health insurance. Besides, that will serve as evidence during AOS interview.

An SSN is not actually required for most services, such as health insurance. It might take some push back, though. Having an SSN certainly makes it a simpler process in general.

An SSN may or may not be required by a bank to open an account, or to get a credit card. It may or may not be needed by the DMV to issue a state ID or driver's license.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.