Debzib88

Frustrated!!

66 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Same here.  I am POA for my dad, and personally file his SSI/pension taxes annually.  

I wonder if the OP could be mixing up the requirement to file vs actually owing taxes?  Or SSI vs SSD?

This is what happens when the USC dumps the job of finding out what to do on the beneficiary.  Second case on here this week.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Same here.  I am POA for my dad, and personally file his SSI/pension taxes annually.  

I wonder if the OP could be mixing up the requirement to file vs actually owing taxes?  Or SSI vs SSD?

I agree.....there may be some confusion.

But the co sponsor is making 56 grand a year (which happens to be a lot of money for a retiree). I would imagine anyone making that kind of income knows they have to pay taxes (and are choosing not to) or doesn’t want to hand over his financial documents to his grandkid. 

Edited by janet3

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

This is what happens when the USC dumps the job of finding out what to do on the beneficiary.  Second case on here this week.

Link?

27 minutes ago, janet3 said:

But the co sponsor is making 56 grand a year (which happens to be a lot of money for a retiree). I would imagine anyone making that kind of income knows they have to pay taxes (and are choosing not to) or doesn’t want to hand over his financial documents to his grandkid. 

Perhaps, and if so, that will compromise their case even more.

1 hour ago, janet3 said:

VA Disability is non taxable. Depending on his rating that could be half of that income. 

Edited by jskibo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, janet3 said:

@geowrian and @Pinkrlion are absolutely correct.

My 98 year old grandmother files tax returns (and she only has benefits from SS and my grandfather’s benefit from working at the Corp of Engineers). And she owes money every year.  

There are very few USC that are exempt from filling taxes....a retiree making 56 grand would not be one of them.....

According to a CPA I know (my father)

2 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Pensions and Social Security retirement income is usually at least partially taxable based on other income. That's why people who are going to continue to work after 62 or 65 often defer collecting their Social Security.  Regular pensions from a company you worked for are typically fully taxable. That's how it works on our tax return.

This is from the IRS PUB 525

Veterans' benefits.

Don’t include in your income any veterans' benefits paid under any law, regulation, or administrative practice ad- ministered by the Department of Veterans Af- fairs (VA). The following amounts paid to veter- ans or their families aren't taxable.

• Education, training, and subsistence allow- ances.

• Disability compensation and pension payments for disabilities paid either to veterans or their families.

• Grants for homes designed for wheelchair living.

• Grants for motor vehicles for veterans who lost their sight or the use of their limbs.

• Veterans' insurance proceeds and dividends paid either to veterans or their beneficiaries, including the proceeds of a veteran's endowment policy paid before death.

• Interest on insurance dividends left on de- posit with the VA.

• Benefits under a dependent-care assis- tance program.

• The death gratuity paid to a survivor of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces who died after September 10, 2001.

• Payments made under the compensated work therapy program.

• Any bonus payment by a state or political subdivision because of service in a combat zone. 

Grandad collects almost $40k a year from VA. 

Edited by Wuozopo

nothing has been dumped on me! The process is stressful and some people make mistakes. And unfortunately we are 2 people that got a few things wrong. Sarcastic comments don't help anybody. Whether you completed this journey years ago or still going through it, we are all in the same boat and should be trying to help each other. Not exchanging stupid comments like "dumped on the beneficiary"  Some of you are assuming when you don't know facts! His grandads income isn't taxable. Unless you have genuine good helpful advice please move along. It's already a headache, I don't need anyone making it worse!! thank god this site has people such as @Wuozopo I may at times frustrate but this person always give straight forward HELPFUL advice!! Nobody is perfect. Sometimes we get things wrong  it was already disheartening coming away from my interview without being aproved on the spot. I have 7 weeks of pregnancy left and all I want to do is be with my family. You all know how it feels to be away from your loved ones.  So just have a little more compassion and sensitivity in your replies.. no one set out to get things wrong on purpose!

Edited by Debzib88

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Debzib88 said:

nothing has been dumped on me! The process is stressful and some people make mistakes. And unfortunately we are 2 people that got a few things wrong. Sarcastic comments don't help anybody. Whether you completed this journey years ago or still going through it, we are all in the same boat and should be trying to help each other. Not exchanging stupid comments like "dumped on the beneficiary"  Some of you are assuming when you don't know facts! His grandads income isn't taxable. Unless you have genuine good helpful advice please move along. It's already a headache, I don't need anyone making it worse!! thank god this site has people such as @Wuozopo I may at times frustrate but this person always give straight forward HELPFUL advice!! Nobody is perfect. Sometimes we get things wrong  it was already disheartening coming away from my interview without being aproved on the spot. I have 7 weeks of pregnancy left and all I want to do is be with my family. You all know how it feels to be away from your loved ones.  So just have a little more compassion and sensitivity in your replies.. no one set out to get things wrong on purpose!

That was my comment however I recall providing a detailed summary of what an affidavit of support package with backup documentation should look like.  That is what you and your sponsor need to be focusing on like a laser.  It takes (me) less than a day to get this together and get it out the door.  Could have been done yesterday.  But I’ve done 4.  So I’m good at it.  I also see it as my responsibility towards my wife.  It’s a not to be missed, skipped, carelessly done, or deferred priority. 

Taxable income or not has no bearing on the outcome of your case.  If:  both packages look the same, have the same backup sources, and clearly show all income amounts and sources and dispositions then they will be accepted.  

The “helpful” IRS discussion is also irrelevant to the material that has to be attached to the affidavit unless your co-sponsor has been improperly filing his taxes.  If that happened, and that makes your case worse, then it wasn’t a VJ member who did that either.

SO:  Additional advice is to redirect your irritation towards the parties around you who are accountable for getting this right.  No amount of histrionics will ever make it true that someone on this board can somehow reach into your file and “make your case worse” than it already is.

Good luck- and you’re welcome

Edited by Nitas_man

It's been issued!! They accepted all grandads documents this morning and then issued the visa. Thank you everyone whos helped!!!!! I can't stop crying. I am so happy, I get to go back home to my husband. 

IMG_8788.JPG

1 minute ago, fip & jim said:

Will you be able to fly out before baby arrives, Debzi?

I don't know how long it will take for the passport to arrive. But I'm 32 weeks pregnant. So aslong as it's here before I'm 36 weeks. Then I can. I've spoke to west jet and they told me their pregnancy policy for long haul flights. So at the moment I'm good. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.