Zach2015

Just want some opinions

25 posts in this topic

So my fiancé will enter the US on July 15. If we get married at the beginning of September will that be cutting it too close to file the AOS. I know we have until October. Should you start the paperwork for AOS before then and just wait to file it after the wedding and you have the marriage certificate? Or should you really wait until after the wedding to start the paperwork for AOS?

Get married before the 90 days is the requirement.   File as soon as you can afterwards and you will be fine.

Getting married in September and it looks like you will have plenty of time to get the marriage certificate and file.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Zach2015 said:

So my fiancé will enter the US on July 15. If we get married at the beginning of September will that be cutting it too close to file the AOS. I know we have until October. Should you start the paperwork for AOS before then and just wait to file it after the wedding and you have the marriage certificate? Or should you really wait until after the wedding to start the paperwork for AOS?

You can start to complete the I-485 any time (it's just a form), once married you will need certified copy of your marriage certificate for USCIS.  You will also need the DS-3025 transcribed to the I-693 by a civil surgeon.

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/adjustment-of-status.html

15th huh!?  Did you clean the house good?   :lol:     Won't matter, she will do it again ... ;)  

Safe Travels

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Zach2015 said:

If you are saying to prepare the paperwork in advance of getting married, fill out what you can and be proactive. The documents will take 3 to 5 days to prepare if you are being cautious about the info you input in the applications. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Zach2015 said:

You can always start the paperwork and start pulling together the information needed especially for the I864.  Just as an FYI, there is actually no stated deadline to file the AOS, but almost all members here will recommend it be filed prior to the I94 expiring.  Do what you can to ready yourself, and file as soon as you have the marriage certificate.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

You can start to complete the I-485 any time (it's just a form), once married you will need certified copy of your marriage certificate for USCIS.  You will also need the DS-3025 transcribed to the I-693 by a civil surgeon.

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/adjustment-of-status.html

15th huh!?  Did you clean the house good?   :lol:     Won't matter, she will do it again ... ;)  

Safe Travels

you have a link for the AOS too. Woohoo. My mom told me to clean my house, but I told her why bother. Christine will do a way better job than I can.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, DylanandLaura said:

If you are saying to prepare the paperwork in advance of getting married, fill out what you can and be proactive. The documents will take 3 to 5 days to prepare if you are being cautious about the info you input in the applications. 

What takes 3 to 5 days?  Not a lot of discretion on the evidence to be submitted 

YMMV

1 hour ago, Zach2015 said:

you have a link for the AOS too. Woohoo. My mom told me to clean my house, but I told her why bother. Christine will do a way better job than I can.

Wait....You found one that cleans?  I keep telling my MIL that I'm sending this one back as the cook and clean buttons are broken :)

Good Luck!

1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

You will also need the DS-3025 transcribed to the I-693 by a civil surgeon.

Did you clean the house good?   :lol:     Won't matter, she will do it again ... ;)  

A question and a comment.

You don't need to do the I-693 if immunizations were given and complete during the medical correct?  Just send in copy of the DS-3025?  That is all we did with no issues.

There is cleaning the house and then there is "cleaning" the house.  One is for dirt and the other is for "history."  Both cleanings are advisable... :)   

Finally done.

1 minute ago, Talako said:

I found one with both buttons working and has a touch of OCD.  I have condiments in the frig that are lined up like little soldiers.

Same...it was a little scary at first))))

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Thank you for all the replies and laughs. Yes, she cooks and cleans and overfeeds my basset hound. My dog will be happy to see Christine again, because that equals more food. @Talako, yes she had her immunizations during her medical.

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Talako said:

A question and a comment.

You don't need to do the I-693 if immunizations were given and complete during the medical correct?  Just send in copy of the DS-3025?  That is all we did with no issues.

There is cleaning the house and then there is "cleaning" the house.  One is for dirt and the other is for "history."  Both cleanings are advisable... :)   

USCIS changed the rules (again) .. I-693 IS required; must take the DS-3025 to a civil surgeon to be transcribed to the I-693 .   You do not need another physical, some civil surgeons try to push a physical $$$$

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

USCIS changed the rules (again) .. I-693 IS required; must take the DS-3025 to a civil surgeon to be transcribed to the I-693 .   You do not need another physical, some civil surgeons try to push a physical $$$$

Can she do that in August? Or does it have to be done within a certain frame?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Zach2015 said:

Can she do that in August? Or does it have to be done within a certain frame?

For AOS there isn't actually a stated timeline for completing the process.

Do understand that once the I-94 has expired your wife will not have legal status in the USA .. and this is why most push to get AOS started before the I-94 expires.

We lived in Tucson at the time, motorcycling down to Tombstone, Bisbee and beyond, all those areas have CBP checkpoints we had to pass through .. so yup I made sure the I-485 was filed before the 90 days was history.  

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.