Greenbaum

JULY - AUGUST 2019 K-1 NOA2 to NVC

1,256 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I have a question about schooling. We are submitting our AOS packet this month. My husband wants to start taking classes at a community college this semester, I was wondering if he can do that with his immigration status? And how would that process work? Or do we have to wait until he has his green card before he can start School?

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Sorry another question, for those whos fiancés are seeking for work to financially contribute and not be home all the time, what sort of jobs did they find/are looking for? I know before the work permit you cant get an actual job however any side gigs you guys know of?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
9 hours ago, G&BN said:

I have a question about schooling. We are submitting our AOS packet this month. My husband wants to start taking classes at a community college this semester, I was wondering if he can do that with his immigration status? And how would that process work? Or do we have to wait until he has his green card before he can start School?

Thanks!

All I know for community college he would have to pay for his classes unless started otherwise. You have to go to the school and ask

9 hours ago, G&BN said:

Thanks!

Contact the school to determine what their policy is.

9 hours ago, G&BN said:

Sorry another question, for those whose fiancés are seeking for work to financially contribute and not be home all the time, what sort of jobs did they find/are looking for? I know before the work permit you cant get an actual job however any side gigs you guys know of?

There are several sources that must looked at in whole.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/working-us

1) You must have a Green Card, EAD, or a work related visa to work in the US

2) "Non-immigrants enter the United States for a temporary period of time, and once in the United States, are restricted to the activity or reason for which their non-immigrant visa was issued."

This means unless you have a visa that allows you to work, you are not allowed to. K-1 visa is not a work visa. 

You do not become an immigrant until your adjustment of status, and therefore the quickest you are allowed to work on a K-1 visa is once the EAD has been issued.

Then, as far as working in the US for a foreign company goes.... here is a blog post about that has some sources in it

https://www.nationofimmigrators.com/employment-based-immigration/immigration-lawyers-arguing-can-i-work-from-home-for-a-foreign-employer/

After being admitted to the U.S. on a K-1 non-immigrant visa, your fiancé(e) may immediately apply for evidence of work authorization by filing Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. In this case, your fiancé(e)’s work authorization is valid for only 90 days after his or her entry into the U.S.

Your fiancé(e) may also apply for work authorization at the same time he or she applies for a Green Card. In this case, your fiancé(e) can file Form I-765 together with the Form I-485. In this case, your fiancé(e)’s work authorization is valid for one year and may be extended in one-year increments.

From <https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/visas-fiancees-us-citizens>

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello everyone 

Please I got a question, During my embassy interview (k1). I submitted my original birthday certificate to the consulate, and she never gave me back. Will I get it again or I need to go get a new one done. Please I need your help. Thanks 

2 hours ago, Nick&Fatie said:

Hello everyone 

Please I got a question, During my embassy interview (k1). I submitted my original birthday certificate to the consulate, and she never gave me back. Will I get it again or I need to go get a new one done. Please I need your help. Thanks 

You need an original for the interview with a copy. Once the CO verify from the original that the copy is a exact copy they will hand the original back. You must ask before the interview concludes or you are out of luck. I think that is where you are now. Get yourself 4 originals for the US. You never know where you will need them. We ran out of my sons O=BC and had to have a friend who was going to the Philippines for a vacation pick up a few more copies for us. We need it for his US Passport.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Finally got my VISA!! I acquired it in HK but I'll be going home to Philippines first, will there be an issue flying into US from PH with a K1 Visa issued in Hong Kong? and I'm just curious, can my fiancee still fly in from the US to Philippines or Hong Kong to see me?

8 hours ago, walkingoneggshell said:

Finally got my VISA!! I acquired it in HK but I'll be going home to Philippines first, will there be an issue flying into US from PH with a K1 Visa issued in Hong Kong? and I'm just curious, can my fiancee still fly in from the US to Philippines or Hong Kong to see me?

The only two issues you need to be aware of and try an answer before you book tickets is these. First, what are the conditions at the Philippines airport and how they are treating those who are coming from N19 virus areas. Second, you will have to attend a CFO class before departing for the US. This is mandatory and you will not be allowed through immigration without a CFO certificate in your passport. Information is at Hanks website. Link is below.

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/cfo.html

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
1 hour ago, Greenbaum said:

The only two issues you need to be aware of and try an answer before you book tickets is these. First, what are the conditions at the Philippines airport and how they are treating those who are coming from N19 virus areas. Second, you will have to attend a CFO class before departing for the US. This is mandatory and you will not be allowed through immigration without a CFO certificate in your passport. Information is at Hanks website. Link is below.

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/cfo.html

got it, thanks for the resource link! but the outbreak situation aside, my fiancé is allowed to wherever country I am in?

3 hours ago, walkingoneggshell said:

got it, thanks for the resource link! but the outbreak situation aside, my fiancé is allowed to wherever country I am in?

No. She still needs a visa to visit any country that a visa is required from a Filipino.  The K-1 allows her into the Philippines and once into the US.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

I am an August filer still waiting for approval. Are there any other August filers still waiting? I just decided to contact my Senator, still waiting to see what they are going to tell him cause everytime i inquire abt it they tell me that they are waiting on security checks. Wish me luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.