Mari181

A mistake in my GC! (merged)

78 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Just now, JFH said:

I’ve seen more cases where a lawyer caused additional problems/delays or mistakes in the process than cases where people were delighted with their lawyers. And also very few cases where DIYers caused themselves delays. The only thing some lawyers seem to be good at is taking money. 

Exactly! I noticed that when people do not have a lawyer, they do not have any problems! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Mari181 said:

omg! Do I need to send my GC back??? Won't I be able to travel? I did not see my family for 3,5 years!!! OMG!

Yes, you will have to send it back.  You can get an I-551 stamp in your passport which acts as your Green Card.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 minute ago, Mari181 said:

omg! Do I need to send my GC back??? Won't I be able to travel? I did not see my family for 3,5 years!!! OMG!

If you do not send it back with the error as proof, they will issue an RFE for it which can further delay the correction process. Also, not seeing your family for the duration that you have stated is not your song alone. Many visa immigrants are singing that same tune longer than you have been but I understand.

You may be able to get a stamp in your passport (other members, correct me if I'm wrong...) or you can schedule your trips after you have the 10yr green card in hand.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Just now, Mari181 said:

Exactly! I noticed that when people do not have a lawyer, they do not have any problems! 

I considered a lawyer due to the fact that my husband was denied his UK spouse visa and he has a criminal record with a felony. But I decided to read all about it, which is why I was a VJ member long before we started the process, and DIY our way through it. No RFEs. From sending I-130 to interview was 10 months 1 day. For a complex case I would recommend a lawyer - one with extensive knowledge of waivers, etc - but most cases can be DIYed just fine.  

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
Just now, missileman said:

Yes, you will have to send it back.  You can get an I-551 stamp in your passport which acts as your Green Card.

Oh ok! Thank you very much for the information. I am learning now. Because probably I will have to get rid of the lawyer.  

Timeline
Just now, Amadia said:

If you do not send it back with the error as proof, they will issue an RFE for it which can further delay the correction process. Also, not seeing your family for the duration that you have stated is not your song alone. Many visa immigrants are singing that same tune longer than you have been but I understand.

You may be able to get a stamp in your passport (other members, correct me if I'm wrong...) or you can schedule your trips after you have the 10yr green card in hand.

OMG it is so annoying 

1 hour ago, Mari181 said:

I think so too. I think that he plays games with us from the beginning. We paid him a lot for every step! We are his eternal customers. 

That is a choice you have made.

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Mari181 said:

Oh ok! Thank you very much for the information. I am learning now. Because probably I will have to get rid of the lawyer.  

22 minutes ago, Mari181 said:

But if they deny my application? 

What if USCIS denies my Form I-751?

If you’re unable to satisfy the requirements to remove the conditions on your permanent resident status, USCIS will deny your request. In this case, you would lose your status as a conditional permanent resident and receive a “Notice to Appear” (NTA) in immigration court, the first step of the deportation process.

During this time, USCIS must extend your conditional resident status to legally remain in the United States while an immigration judge reviews your denied Form I-751 in removal (deportation) proceedings.

You may appeal the denial decision only by requesting that the immigration judge review your case, based on the evidence you provided. You may not use new evidence to challenge the denial.

Edited by Mari181

3 hours ago, Mari181 said:

But if they deny my application? 

What if USCIS denies my Form I-751?

If you’re unable to satisfy the requirements to remove the conditions on your permanent resident status, USCIS will deny your request. In this case, you would lose your status as a conditional permanent resident and receive a “Notice to Appear” (NTA) in immigration court, the first step of the deportation process.

During this time, USCIS must extend your conditional resident status to legally remain in the United States while an immigration judge reviews your denied Form I-751 in removal (deportation) proceedings.

You may appeal the denial decision only by requesting that the immigration judge review your case, based on the evidence you provided. You may not use new evidence to challenge the denial.

I-751 denial is pretty rare. And you're getting ahead of yourself. Send your card with the I-90 and get the stamp first.

Timeline
2 hours ago, mushroomspore said:

I-751 denial is pretty rare. And you're getting ahead of yourself. Send your card with the I-90 and get the stamp first.

Do you think I need to file I-90? or it is better to keep the temporary GC? And have the interview again in 4 years? As it takes almost 2 years to expect your interview 

Timeline
9 hours ago, Mari181 said:

I've got my GC today but I am very frustrated that its for 2 years. I am married for 3,5 years. My lawyer said that it's supposed to be for 10 years. I have an appointment with him next week! But can't wait to get the information how long it takes to fix it. Guys please if you had that experience, let me know pls.  

Guys, I am really sick of it! I live in a fear, I am afraid of my own shade. I just think that i need to keep my 2 years CG and not replace it. I just want to live a normal life with my husband, travel without expecting a notice from USCIS or checking my status online everyday. I can not handle it anymore

You DON'T need to go through removal of conditions. You DO need to file form I-90 for replacement to correct the mistake and get the 10 years green card. As you must surrender your card, you get the I-551 stamp on your passport -that works as a temporary green card while you wait, so you can travel-.

Here are the steps you must follow:

1) Schedule an info pass at your local office.

2) Attend your info pass appointment bringing your green card, passport and marriage certificate and ask for the I-551 stamp.

3) File form I-90 and include the 2 years green card in the package. 

Again, once you get the stamp, you can travel and once you get the 10 years green card you no longer need to worry about interviews -unless you decide to go for the naturalization-.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You better update it now, USCIS will not take it easy with you if you have a mistake on your greencard and you spot it and you did nothing about it plus trust me you’ll be glad if you do it now and citizenship will be your next step instead of having to do Removal Of Condition again in about 2 years time. The greencard stamp can be installed on your passport page so you can travel and work with it. 

With all that being said, it’s your call. 

Citizenship
Event Date
Service Center : Online
CIS Office : Raleigh NC
Date Filed : 2020-10-03
NOA Date : 2020-10-03
Bio. Appt. :  
Interview Date :  
Approved :  
Oath Ceremony :  
Comments : INA 328 and 329 [ Military ] 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

You DON'T need to go through removal of conditions. You DO need to file form I-90 for replacement to correct the mistake and get the 10 years green card. As you must surrender your card, you get the I-551 stamp on your passport -that works as a temporary green card while you wait, so you can travel-.

Here are the steps you must follow:

1) Schedule an info pass at your local office.

2) Attend your info pass appointment bringing your green card, passport and marriage certificate and ask for the I-551 stamp.

3) File form I-90 and include the 2 years green card in the package. 

Again, once you get the stamp, you can travel and once you get the 10 years green card you no longer need to worry about interviews -unless you decide to go for the naturalization-.

Thank you very much for your answers. Very helpful. The problem is that I tried the infopass and it says that "This office is not accepting walk-in requests or scheduling InfoPass appointments".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.