Dataunavailable

Refilling a K1 after consulate denial. Questions.

50 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Umka36 said:

I'm not sure if that embassy allows you to be at her interview, but something to explore as well. Sending money before meeting is odd, was that some form of dowry?

The embassy in Phnom Penh allows the petitioner to be inside, but it's at the CO discretion if they allow both at the window. 

Not a dowry, she is an architect there, but still only makes around $400 USD per month, so in my eyes it was to help support her. To me, it was showing we are a couple in love. I didn't start sending her money until we were a year or so into our relationship. And she never asked for it, I just did it. 

And it wasn't just a quick few month relationship and file.  It was a year and a half after we first started talking I went to visit her and proposed. 

Filed: Timeline
2 minutes ago, Dataunavailable said:

The embassy in Phnom Penh allows the petitioner to be inside, but it's at the CO discretion if they allow both at the window. 

Not a dowry, she is an architect there, but still only makes around $400 USD per month, so in my eyes it was to help support her. To me, it was showing we are a couple in love. I didn't start sending her money until we were a year or so into our relationship. And she never asked for it, I just did it. 

And it wasn't just a quick few month relationship and file.  It was a year and a half after we first started talking I went to visit her and proposed. 

My wife only made $400/month as a teacher. To each their own, but my take on it is that she survived before meeting me so she didn't need my support. I guess what folks probably question on (or maybe just me) is why send anything prior to meeting up with the person first. It can cause issues in the future.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Boiler said:

Why send 💰, she has family in the US to support her.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm. But she doesn't get monetary support from her family in the U.S. I've been busting my a trying to get her here with me. The stress, especially after the denial is nothing I've ever experienced before, and it's heartbreaking. I know there isn't anything I can do to show people every single thing I've done for her, flying there, all the fees, is out of my own pocket. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It was not sarcasm and I seriously doubt the issue is your motives.

How did she support herself before you were on the scene, why do you need to send her money now.

I do not want to repeat the previous thread, this has been gone into in some detail.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

It was not sarcasm and I seriously doubt the issue is your motives.

How did she support herself before you were on the scene, why do you need to send her money now.

I do not want to repeat the previous thread, this has been gone into in some detail.

I wasn't intending it to. But people asked questions, so I answered. 

She obviously got by, but it wasn't like she had a lot of extra money, she couldn't fix her motorbike if it broke, like I mentioned in another comment, I sent money because I felt it would help to show we are in an actual relationship and to show I help her with support. 

She never asked for money, and she told me to just save the money for our wedding that I would be sending. 

I'm sorry, it just feels like there is some animosity here. 

4 hours ago, Dataunavailable said:

I'm sorry, it just feels like there is some animosity here. 

People are here are genuinely trying to help you, and what it boils down to is that you relationship lacks believability, likely due to only the one visit.  

17 hours ago, Dataunavailable said:

but still only makes around $400 USD per month, so in my eyes it was to help support her. To me, it was showing we are a couple in love. 

She survived on that salary before she knew you. 

That’s a very strange way to show love - giving money to someone you’ve never met. $400 a month in Cambodia goes a lot further than it does here, as you know. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
7 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

People are here are genuinely trying to help you, and what it boils down to is that you relationship lacks believability, likely due to only the one visit. 

And I appreciate the help. But I didn't find a comment of,  "Why send money, she has family in the U.S to support her." Friendly or helpful.  

I am happy to answer any questions, there is no point in me hiding or lying about anything. I've been back to Cambodia, I have many third party signed affidavits from friends, family and co workers. She has some too. I have a letter from my mom who is offering to marry us at her house, she is legally able to marry people. 

I understand that people say just go CR-1, it takes away the question of us marrying. Everything I've read about a foreigner to marry in Cambodia, you have to be in the country for 30+ days, you have to make $2500 a month. To be able to be in Cambodia for 30 or more days, I'd have to quit my job, that leads me to not being able to meet the threshold for monthly income. 

She would be supporting two people now on her income, until I could find work. I know a CR-1 would be better, but a K1 allows me to keep my job and focus on saving money for our future. Which is why I am wanting to re file with a lot more evidence, and hope they see we really do love each other this time and will marry. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well you can file another K1, come back in a year or so and tells us what happened.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Mmmmmm... I agree with the OP.  If you meet someone and make a connection with them, I don't think it's unreasonable or strange to send them $$ to help their quality of life.  Does that open you to being scammed?  Definitely.  But, if you are intelligent and make the decision to due based on the unique circumstances of your relationship, I think it is understandable.

Timeline
11 hours ago, AndrewF said:

Mmmmmm... I agree with the OP.  If you meet someone and make a connection with them, I don't think it's unreasonable or strange to send them $$ to help their quality of life.  Does that open you to being scammed?  Definitely.  But, if you are intelligent and make the decision to due based on the unique circumstances of your relationship, I think it is understandable.

And it was quite awhile into our relationship when I chose to do so.  She never asked prior or even hinted that she wanted any money from me. I don't see it as a bad thing, but a consular viewpoint might be entirely different for someone to send their fiance money. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

like everyone else suggested, best go with the CR1 route. Why wait another 8-10months to find out if you get denied again. the consulate keep track of individuals who got denied previously. very bad idea to re-file K1

1 visit you made within the K1 timeline is a very poor indication of a serious relationship. And you not being able to take time off isn't an excuse of why you couldn't take more trips

NoA1 - September 26, 2018

NoA2 - February 4, 2019  

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
2 minutes ago, kingdomcome84 said:

like everyone else suggested, best go with the CR1 route. Why wait another 8-10months to find out if you get denied again. the consulate keep track of individuals who got denied previously. very bad idea to re-file K1

1 visit you made within the K1 timeline is a very poor indication of a serious relationship. And you not being able to take time off isn't an excuse of why you couldn't take more trips

Huh? Yes it is. Unless he quits his job which is a major inconvenience since you need money to be able to be the sole sponsor 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.